Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would be protection against rocks, insects or debris just stuff that ends up either bending up the fins or clogging up the fins.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This would be protection against rocks, insects or debris just stuff that ends up either bending up the fins or clogging up the fins.
I use the Novi-stretch front bumper mask. It is easy to install and remove and is washable. Not the best looking but it should protect against bugs getting imbedded in your A/C condensor.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use the Novi-stretch front bumper mask. It is easy to install and remove and is washable. Not the best looking but it should protect against bugs getting imbedded in your A/C condensor.
I think I know of the one you are talking about. I may have seen it in autoanythingwebsite? That things looks like a giant pantyhose cover :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :eek:. I saw a Challenger with a conventional front end bra and it might have had the mesh for lower protection of front end and radiator/condensor but that car was in motion and I wasn't able to speak to the owner. I haven't been able to find any front end bra covers with the mesh so I don't know. Yes I know the Challenger looks alot better:love: without that front end cover but it's primary purpose is to protect.

o_O

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
there's already the lower and upper grille - I've driven cumulatively 99k between both Challengers over nearly 13 years - never a problem with those systems.

my other (20 years old in Feb) with 159k - never an issue with the original radiator and a/c condenser. In all the years, I've had the a/c system serviced once, and IIRC that was in 2008...

you know the expression: "if it isn't broken - don't fix it". I believe that would apply to this inquiry

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there's already the lower and upper grille - I've driven cumulatively 99k between both Challengers over nearly 13 years - never a problem with those systems.

my other (20 years old in Feb) with 159k - never an issue with the original radiator and a/c condenser. In all the years, I've had the a/c system serviced once, and IIRC that was in 2008...

you know the expression: "if it isn't broken - don't fix it". I believe that would apply to this inquiry
But what kind of roads or freeways do you drive on. We get lots of debris here and windshields get pitted and cracked. It's a warzone HERE.:poop::sick:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
And there are 17 year cicadas coming!

A Guy

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
But what kind of roads or freeways do you drive on. We get lots of debris here and windshields get pitted and cracked. It's a warzone HERE.:poop::sick:
CA from 70s - 00s / OR late 00s to late 'teens / NC for past three years.

Oregon by far had the worst roads, debris, rocks and crap flying off trucks. I'd seen more cracked windshields in that state than anywhere else

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts

Not nearly as many miles on my Dodges but hundreds of thousands of miles with a variety of other cars. Never condenser or radiator problem from any debris hit. Had several windshields suffer rock hits. One bad enough it had to be replaced when the rock chip turned into a windshield wide crack.

Paint hits. Bumper cover hits. The only non collision radiator leak was a pinhole in the radiator on the back side of the radiator. Lost one radiator to some road debris. I fell asleep and drifted to the center line and hit a tire carcass which busted the lower section of the driver's side radiator. Then years later in another car hit a mule deer that came out from behind a guard rail. The impact took out the passenger side condenser and radiator.

The biggest problem I had with my Porsche Boxster and Turbo was the radiator ducts would collect trash, mainly plant litter like leaves. Every so often I had to remove the bumper cover and clean out the ducts.

Thanks to starting out on motorcycles I learned very quickly don't follow any vehicle too closely. Especially ones that just got on the road from a parking lot or a side road and an unpaved lot or road was extra bad.

I stayed extra far back from rubbish haulers, dump trucks, heavy equipment haulers, etc. Even so over the years a rock or two still found the car I was in.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not nearly as many miles on my Dodges but hundreds of thousands of miles with a variety of other cars. Never condenser or radiator problem from any debris hit. Had several windshields suffer rock hits. One bad enough it had to be replaced when the rock chip turned into a windshield wide crack.

Paint hits. Bumper cover hits. The only non collision radiator leak was a pinhole in the radiator on the back side of the radiator. Lost one radiator to some road debris. I fell asleep and drifted to the center line and hit a tire carcass which busted the lower section of the driver's side radiator. Then years later in another car hit a mule deer that came out from behind a guard rail. The impact took out the passenger side condenser and radiator.

The biggest problem I had with my Porsche Boxster and Turbo was the radiator ducts would collect trash, mainly plant litter like leaves. Every so often I had to remove the bumper cover and clean out the ducts.

Thanks to starting out on motorcycles I learned very quickly don't follow any vehicle too closely. Especially ones that just got on the road from a parking lot or a side road and an unpaved lot or road was extra bad.

I stayed extra far back from rubbish haulers, dump trucks, heavy equipment haulers, etc. Even so over the years a rock or two still found the car I was in.
As you probably already know those trucks with double tires (dualies? with no mud guards) are the worst and kick up rocks constantly:mad:

On one of my cars I had to replace the condensor because all the fins were flat. I wish this problem was in my imagination but that cost me a new condensor unit.

I think I know of the one you are talking about. I may have seen it in autoanythingwebsite? That things looks like a giant pantyhose cover :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :eek:. I saw a Challenger with a conventional front end bra and it might have had the mesh for lower protection of front end and radiator/condensor but that car was in motion and I wasn't able to speak to the owner. I haven't been able to find any front end bra covers with the mesh so I don't know. Yes I know the Challenger looks alot better:love: without that front end cover but it's primary purpose is to protect.

View attachment 1018348
View attachment 1018349 o_O
Well it does cost alot less than Expel at $158.00+:unsure::rolleyes:

And there are 17 year cicadas coming!

A Guy
We won't see this critter here.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Well it does cost alot less than Expel at $158.00+:unsure::rolleyes:
Yeah, but be careful with these. They trap dirt under them and then the wind movement and vibration acts like sandpaper on your paint. Ask me how I know....:cry:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, but be careful with these. They trap dirt under them and then the wind movement and vibration acts like sandpaper on your paint. Ask me how I know....:cry:
I can see that happening if it flaps and isn't a tight fit. I haven't had any problem with the Speed Lingerie Bra for the Corvette. It's super tight fit and rated up to a high speed which I don't exceed or can remember. :confused:I leave that on even when it rains and when I wash it. When taken off yes there is dirt that does get underneath and I clean it off. I inspect it very close and no damage as I have been doing this for the last 15 years. Unfortunately this company doesn't make one for the Challenger yet BUT I will check back with them as everything they do is custom made. He was suppose to have someone with a HC show up but they didn't come back.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They use to sell front end bra covers with a mesh screen on the bottom of it that caught bugs, rocks from getting into radiator/condensor so the fins would not get bent out of shape as seen in the below pics. I would like to get a product will protect those front end components and at the same time still provide enough air for cooling.
Automotive parking light Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Be aware that the actual front end covers can/will trap dirt under them. Movement from driving/rain/wind will then act as sand paper on your paint and can wreak havoc with your finish.
Ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Be aware that the actual front end covers can/will trap dirt under them. Movement from driving/rain/wind will then act as sand paper on your paint and can wreak havoc with your finish.
Ask me how I know.
this is what I worry about as well. I had a BMW with a bra and it scratched pretty bad. I’d be real hesitant

·
Registered
209 Posts
I ran that Novistretch mask on a trip from PA to FL and back. Covered in bugs, dirt, and drove through a downpour at one point. Not even the slightest hint of scuffing on the paint...

Because ceramic coat works.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Yes, for a long arduous (to your car) trip, they work. To leave on all the time, no.
And yes. Ceramic works!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts