Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare for NH winter.
I just invested in some good snow tires and wheels (came as package).
I’ve been told throw 100 pounds over each driving wheel in trunk.
Do you guys have any other suggestions getting ready for winter ?
2017 SXT PLUS

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Been in a fair number of snow tire debates. I don't think there is much of a debate to be had. I'm an idiot for putting snow tires on a new jeep. "it's got 4wd" or "but it's a JEEP!" Like snow cares if there is a certain logo on it.
I know that feeling. What most people don't get, is that 4WD doesn't mean 4 wheel stop. When I bought my Wrangler, the first thing I did was replace those stock MT tires with Duratracs.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
that wrangler is mint buddy’
Nice !!
I do miss her. Was great in snow and everything I threw at it.

Eventually I might end up with one of the newer Broncos. They are much more customizable and have a lot more factory options.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts
Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare for NH winter.
I just invested in some good snow tires and wheels (came as package).
I’ve been told throw 100 pounds over each driving wheel in trunk.
Do you guys have any other suggestions getting ready for winter ?
2017 SXT PLUS
I like to enter the winter with fresh oil in the engine. The engine will probably not get that hot and if the oil is already contaminated it is only going to get worse, much worse, over winter. Then come spring change the oil again.

Given where you are if the tires/car can handle it getting a set of tires chains/cables might be a good idea.

Used to add a longish nylon tow strap to the trunk along with various hardware to allow it to connect to a good location on the car and to have some extra hardware to help the strap connect to another vehicle. But now I think I'd consider a kinetic tow strap/rope.

For a rear wheel drive vehicle I'd add some ballast -- bags of sand -- to the trunk. For my front wheel drive car I added the bags to the trunk to just help keep the lightly loaded rear tires in better contact with the snow. Better braking and handling. Nice if you can fit the bags of sand in a large plastic tub. If you get stuck you can open the bad and spread the sand around. Being in a tub the sand doesn't spill out into the trunk of the car.

Be sure the coolant is good down to whatever low temperature you can expect to get there plus some margin for safety.

Get some good wind shield washer fluid. As I have mentioned before the nearby truck stops -- this when I lived in MO -- would have pallet or two of gallon jugs of wind shield washer fluid set outside. After a few real cold days I'd stop in and grab a few jugs of the stuff with no ice in them. Have a good ice scraper in the car to use to clear the glass. A small broom to brush away the snow that might accumulate on top of the car.

When driving don't follow vehicles too close. More than once I have seen a large sheet of ice come sailing through the air after having been blown off the roof of a vehicle ahead of mine.

Also, watch for chunks of ice that fall from under the wheel wells of vehicles. And be on the look out for dead animals in the road. Bad enough to hit one when it is "soft"... Yuck. But frozen solid can do some damage to your vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know that feeling. What most people don't get, is that 4WD doesn't mean 4 wheel stop. When I bought my Wrangler, the first thing I did was replace those stock MT tires with Duratracs.

View attachment 1005139
And..... You will only go as fast as the person in front of you with 2wd. You might be able to skip shoveling your driveway, or get out of a parking space easier. Unless you off road for fun there is not time savings in normal driving.

I put my R/T in the corner of the garage using go-jacks, and wait for spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
4 snow tires are the best thing you can do for ANY car that will be driven in the snow. People would make fun of me at times for putting snows on my WRX. Until they saw what a WRX in the snow could do.

Ballast over the drive wheels is also a very good idea.

The best idea, if possible, is a $500 junker that you can drive all winter when the show is present and sell in the spring for the same $500. Keep the miles, sliding, and rust away from your Challenger.

Zach

·
Premium Member
10,541 Posts
I do miss her. Was great in snow and everything I threw at it.

Eventually I might end up with one of the newer Broncos. They are much more customizable and have a lot more factory options.
I believe the Jeep is the single most supported vehicle in the accessories industry, I have a 2016 Oscar Mike Freedom Edition. It like the Challenger sits more than its driven. I have brand new take offs from a new Raptor on it, great tires.
We need some snow photos of your car out doing it’s job when the white stuff comes. Have a safe winter!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I believe the Jeep is the single most supported vehicle in the accessories industry, I have a 2016 Oscar Mike Freedom Edition. It like the Challenger sits more than its driven. I have brand new take offs from a new Raptor on it, great tires.
We need some snow photos of your car out doing it’s job when the white stuff comes. Have a safe winter!
For now the wrangler is. Once the new Ford Bronco hits the streets, it may be a different tune. Ford is promising that it will have over 200 accessories available from the factory. Jeep can't hold a candle to that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts