Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R/T Shaker, B5 Blue, 6-speed Manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold my old challenger and bought a modified 2015 R/T Shaker with 6-speed manual. The previous owner made a bunch of "cool stuff" to it, and according to him, this vehicle has 500+ crank horses. That includes a set of long tube headers and complete straight pipe (no cats).

Now, even though I am a huge muscle car lover and I love them to be loud, the drone from the straight-piped exhaust is so bad that if I drive over 30 minutes, I want to kill myself. It is cool for showing off in a car meet, but I want to daily this beast. So, My theory is, if I buy a set of cat-back exhaust with less drone, such as the Corsa Sport, my problems will go away, and if I want to show off in a car meet, I will have to swap the exhaust to my straight pipe. My question is, is there going to be an issue if I try to install cat-back exhaust without cats? Is the drone still going to be unbearable? How much louder could it be comparing to cat-backs with cats?

The previous owner did give me a tuner, and this car is currently tuned for 93 octanes. I suppose If I install a cat-back, I will have to re-tune it?

Any replies will be appreciated. Thank you guys!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I began exhaust mods on my ‘16 Scat Pack with a the Hurst Elite catback system. Loved the sound. Next up was JBA long tubes with their cats. Better sound but wanted more. Removed the cats and installed NOWEEDS electric cutouts. Even better. I do not have drone. Cutouts closed the car sounds Great. When their open, it’s crazy loud. I think you’ll be fine based on what I hear with my car. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I began exhaust mods on my ‘16 Scat Pack with a the Hurst Elite catback system. Loved the sound. Next up was JBA long tubes with their cats. Better sound but wanted more. Removed the cats and installed NOWEEDS electric cutouts. Even better. I do not have drone. Cutouts closed the car sounds Great. When their open, it’s crazy loud. I think you’ll be fine based on what I hear with my car. Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply! Do you have to re-tune your PCM for this to work?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Put a good exhaust system engineered to sound good and won't drone .

Sell the tuner

And go find yourself a nice Dyno and maybe you'll see 370 to the wheel (depending on the Dyno)
Unless it's supercharged or I'm missing something here

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put a good exhaust system engineered to sound good and won't drone .

Sell the tuner

And go find yourself a nice Dyno and maybe you'll see 370 to the wheel (depending on the Dyno)
Unless it's supercharged or I'm missing something here
Exactly. I'm shopping for a good set of exhaust that won't break the bank. Do you have any good suggestions?

I might want to keep the tuner since it's tuned for 93 octanes and 93 isn't very popular in the Twin Cities area. I'm thinking to tune it back to 91 for normal use.

The previous owner has an upgraded "competition grade" cam. With everything else he did I'm assuming it will have 400 wheel hp and tq. I guess I will have to verify that on the dyno.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Exactly. I'm shopping for a good set of exhaust that won't break the bank. Do you have any good suggestions?

I might want to keep the tuner since it's tuned for 93 octanes and 93 isn't very popular in the Twin Cities area. I'm thinking to tune it back to 91 for normal use.

The previous owner has an upgraded "competition grade" cam. With everything else he did I'm assuming it will have 400 wheel hp and tq. I guess I will have to verify that on the dyno.
I love my solo mach x exhaust

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for your reply! Do you have to re-tune your PCM for this to work?
I am running a tune from HP Tuners on a spare ECM. Had to shut off post cat O2 sensors as mine are gone. Didn’t hurt my hp numbers in the process. 443 rear wheel hp

Here is the dyno sheet. I can’t figure out how to attach a video of the dyno pull so you can hear it.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,239 Posts
Put some J-pipes on it to kill the drone, and you won't need to change anything else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am running a tune from HP Tuners on a spare ECM. Had to shut off post cat O2 sensors as mine are gone. Didn’t hurt my hp numbers in the process. 443 rear wheel hp

Here is the dyno sheet. I can’t figure out how to attach a video of the dyno pull so you can hear it.

That looks dope! I believe my o2 sensor are shut off too since the cats are gone, but I have to crawl under it to find out lol. I'm gonna visit the muffler shop this weekend to figure out what's really going on. But most importantly I really want to put it on the dyno 😂

Which mod you have that's most beneficial in terms of power? Just being curious. Thanks a ton for sharing your data btw

Put some J-pipes on it to kill the drone, and you won't need to change anything else.
Thanks for your suggestion! I just ordered solo performance's cat back, they have adjustable j pipes in the back that helps cancel out the drone. I'm super excited to try it on!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Best in terms of power I’m afraid I can’t pinpoint it. I did everything before getting the tune. I’d have to say the tune was the biggest factor, but the tune would not have given me what I got without the exhaust, headers and slightly oversized throttle body. I’m used to old school tuning so learning these electronic marvels as I go. I think all these systems on our muscle cars these days are so dependent on each other that you have to approach it with a “package” mentality instead of, for example, just throw a carb on it or just a hi-rise intake. These things are pretty complicated these days. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts