Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
No - there aren't filters.

I'm not certain if there's a metallic drain plug - like the differentials have.

I've had the dealer perform the manual trans and differential fluid changes for me.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
No - there aren't filters.

I'm not certain if there's a metallic drain plug - like the differentials have.

I've had the dealer perform the manual trans and differential fluid changes for me.
Are you sure 392 Diffs have factory installed magnetic drain plugs?
I've been searching for magnetic plugs for the diff & trans....haven't been able to find.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Just about all manual transmissions have at least 1 magnet in them to pick up metal filings in the oil... The magnet is usually made onto the end of the drain plug...most automatics use the same style drain plug in addition to flat pan magnets and sump filters...some manuals do however employ the use of plastic pick-up tube screens if an internal oil pump exists (just like transfer cases) but no regular serviceable maintenance filters are used in manuals only automatics

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
I've been searching for magnetic plugs for the diff & trans....haven't been able to find.
There's been mentions of owners changing (Getrag 226) diff lubricant and noting of debris that is accumulated on the end of the drain plugs - sounds like a magnetized plug end by their descriptions.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
There's been mentions of owners changing (Getrag 226) diff lubricant and noting of debris that is accumulated on the end of the drain plugs - sounds like a magnetized plug end by their descriptions.
Makes sense. Now if they only made one for the trans!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, rear diff. Called dodge, they said use 75/140. I get it and glance in owners manual for something else, and it says 75/90....

If I run 75/140, will I hurt it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Ok, rear diff. Called dodge, they said use 75/140. I get it and glance in owners manual for something else, and it says 75/90....

The V8 diffs call for 75W90 - on the 198mm (V6) its 75W140.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
I just changed my diff fluid and the drain (bottom) plug is magnetized but the filler plug isn't.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts

I ran into the same issue. Dealers say 75W/140 in the SRT but manual says 75W/90. I couldn't find any 75W/140 Mobil 1 so I went with the 75W/90 as a flush over the winter and will use 75W/140 next spring.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Why cant I find mobil one synthetic atf+4

Exxon-Mobil doesn't make a Mobil-1 branded ATF+4. They make Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, but its not ATF+4 compliant. Mobil makes an ATF+4, but its not the "Mobil 1" brand used for synthetics, its called "Mobil ATF+4".

FWIW, ALL ATF+4 is semi-synthetic, and its all virtually identical regardless of brand. It and Dexron VI are two of the most tightly-specified fluids out there. In order to be officially ATF+4, it can't be very different from any other ATF+4 at all. There's a lot of wiggle room in your average 5w30 motor oil spec, but not so for ATF+4.

My gripe with ATF+4 for the Tremec is more a hunch than anything else. My guess is that its additives and friction modifiers aren't "ideal" for the synchros in a manual. Its tailored for Chrysler automatics, and just happens to be good enough for Tremec and that way dealers don't have to stock an extra fluid. But once I''m out of warranty I'll be trying Redline MTL, or Royal Purple Synchromesh, or some other similar product.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Exxon-Mobil doesn't make a Mobil-1 branded ATF+4. They make Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, but its not ATF+4 compliant. Mobil makes an ATF+4, but its not the "Mobil 1" brand used for synthetics, its called "Mobil ATF+4".

FWIW, ALL ATF+4 is semi-synthetic, and its all virtually identical regardless of brand. It and Dexron VI are two of the most tightly-specified fluids out there. In order to be officially ATF+4, it can't be very different from any other ATF+4 at all. There's a lot of wiggle room in your average 5w30 motor oil spec, but not so for ATF+4.

My gripe with ATF+4 for the Tremec is more a hunch than anything else. My guess is that its additives and friction modifiers aren't "ideal" for the synchros in a manual. Its tailored for Chrysler automatics, and just happens to be good enough for Tremec and that way dealers don't have to stock an extra fluid. But once I''m out of warranty I'll be trying Redline MTL, or Royal Purple Synchromesh, or some other similar product.

You're on point with your hunch! When GM introduced Dexron VI in 2005, they issued a Bulletin which stated Dexron VI supersedes Dexron III & is back compatible for all Dexron III applications. Turns out that wasn't exactly accurate.....yes it's back compatible for AUTOMATIC Transmissions....Manual Tansmissions, not so much! The early Tremecs in the C5's used paper blocker rings, & the Dexron VI would damage them. Eventually, GM issued a TSB advising using Dexron VI in Manual Transmissions that spec Dexron III could cause damage to the transmission. I know for a fact a few Chevy dealers that weren't even aware of this, & used Dexron VI in the Tremecs. Fortunately for the later model C5's (think 2001 & up), Tremec changed to carbon blocker rings, which weren't damaged by the Dexron VI.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I am going to buy the Ford TR6060 fluid that they factory fill the GT500 with when I change out mine, apparently it's supposed to be better that what Chrysler fills our TR6060s with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts