Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 2009 r/t and have been looking for a 70-73 challenger. I found a listing on craigslist and it seems to good to be true. Only asking $5,900
Here is the listing

I have a beautiful 73 Challenger Rallye that has gone through a complete restoration.

All original sheet metal with stampings where appropriate…Fenders, quarters, radiator support, cowl, doors, floor pans, trunk pan…everything.

The original 727 was rebuilt, as was the 3rd member, brakes, fuel system, steering box, T-bars, shocks, suspension bushings, AC system etc. The

paint is about as nice as it gets for a car you can actually drive, the bright red shines like a mirror. All the bright-work was re-chromed;

custom steelies with real OEM poverty pack hub caps were added along with new BFG radials.
The car starts, runs, drives, steers and brakes absolutely beautiful. The body work quality, fit and finish is very impressive.
VIN: JH23H3B400236
Mileage: 40,000 miles
Title: Clear
Condition: Used
Body type: Coupe
Engine: 8 - Cyl. Cylinder
Transmission: Automatic
Fuel type: Gasoline
Interior color: Black
Exterior color: Red
This car is the real deal and no expense was spared during the resto aside from it not going on a rotisserie. And because it’s not a 70 or 71 big

block, its actually affordable. This is a high quality car that will only gain in value as the economy improves.

I have represented this car to the best of my knowledge and ability. If you have specific questions or need specific photo's, please let me know :

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the email response I got

Hello Ryan,
Thank you for your interest in buying my car. It's a 1973 challenger, in perfect condition,has gone through a complete restoration,all original sheet metal with stampings where appropriate…fenders, quarters, radiator support,
cowl, doors, floor pans, trunk pan…everything. with no need for additional repairs, no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever, never been involved in any accidents. The interior looks great (NO SMOKING). It has a clear title ready to be signed and notarized on your name. Because is a URGENT SALE, $5,800.00 USD is my last price. I sell the car at this price because I cannot enjoy it due to my job(I work as a dealer on a cruise ship) and I'm a single man and I have nobody close who can use it. All documents, including owner's manual, clear title and a bill of sale on your name will be provided along with the car. Also about payment and shipping(which is free of charge for you) I will use only eBay vehicle protection program so we can both be protected. I am affiliated at eBay and I have a purchase protection account for $50.000
I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the car, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions. So if you are interested please e-mail me back your full name, full shipping address for more details about the transaction.
Here you can see more picture: http://www.use.com/50f8fb2ac69c671e9a31

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
it's caca, if it sounds to good to be true then it is, don't fall for it you will lose your money, these guys are pro crooks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Unless he sends you a vin and bill of sale showing he owns it I'd be very cautious. The way he quotes the ebay $50K amount and the fact he works/lives on a cruise ship tells me this is a scam.

This is the email response I got

Hello Ryan,
Thank you for your interest in buying my car. It's a 1973 challenger, in perfect condition,has gone through a complete restoration,all original sheet metal with stampings where appropriate…fenders, quarters, radiator support,
cowl, doors, floor pans, trunk pan…everything. with no need for additional repairs, no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever, never been involved in any accidents. The interior looks great (NO SMOKING). It has a clear title ready to be signed and notarized on your name. Because is a URGENT SALE, $5,800.00 USD is my last price. I sell the car at this price because I cannot enjoy it due to my job(I work as a dealer on a cruise ship) and I'm a single man and I have nobody close who can use it. All documents, including owner's manual, clear title and a bill of sale on your name will be provided along with the car. Also about payment and shipping(which is free of charge for you) I will use only eBay vehicle protection program so we can both be protected. I am affiliated at eBay and I have a purchase protection account for $50.000
I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the car, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions. So if you are interested please e-mail me back your full name, full shipping address for more details about the transaction.
Here you can see more picture: http://www.use.com/50f8fb2ac69c671e9a31

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It's a scam. In every single one of these scams it's never someone who actually lives in the U.S. and makes it available for you to come by and check it out.

I think they take a class or something because they all use the same poor english, overstate the safety of the situation and love the word consideration.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Scam for sure.

·
Registered
557 Posts
What a pretty car! Lot of un-original stuff, (wheels, radio, black hood etc) but who cares...it's nasty lookin'. Ask him to send, e mail, fax or whatever a copy of the title to ya. Tell him you have to drive the car, and if it is as represented, with a clear title, if you don't buy it, I WILL.
JH23 is a Challenger Highline, "H" means 340 V8 High Performance, "3" means it is a 1973, "B" means it was built at the Hamtramck assembly plant.
Barrett Jackson couldn't verify the VIN a minute ago...not sure what that proves.
Unfortunately it is probably a scam...but once in a while things like this do happen. Just DON'T swap any $$$$ until you are sitting in the car.
JMHO
Peace, Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's a scam

Yes it is a scam. I know all about this as My parents found some tractor equipment which seemed like a good deal on Craigslist. $28,000 equipment for only $5,000. I researched everything for them as it sounded fishy, but looked almost real. The people only wanted paid by money order. They even received offical looking emails from a Ebay rep, however all the links pointed to Yahoo mail. BTW Ebay does not have a Vehicle Protection plan. Here is a link to what I found in my research. Good read. All I can say is be Carefully and do your research.

Read the link below.

eBay Vehicle Protection Program scam » Tactical Technique

ok I take back the part about Ebay not having a protection Program.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/ebaymotors-protection.html

In this case I would contact Ebay directly and try to do a backwords lookup on this deal. See if Ebay can validate it. I would not give out any personal info to the seller, cause if it is a Scam they like to use your info to pose as the next seller for something else.

See if you can actually see the car in person. My Parents tried to do this cause the Craiglist posting they found was local. They got a response back that the equipment was 1500 miles away. The Ebay rep that emailed them could only be contacted via email and was located in Europe.

Just be careful.

·
Registered
711 Posts
****scam******** first off, the photos were uploaded "This item was uploaded anonymously.No profile is available",

second - if this was a legitimate seller, they would not block out the licence plate as the plate would go with the car in the US if i'm correct. And a car in that prestine condition no matter how urgent the sale would NOT be for that cheap.

I looked further, the photos are from another sale site for $15,000 73 Challenger For Sale - Yakaz Cars Brett is the ACTUAL owner!!

I have contacted Brett the car's ACTUAL owner and advised him his ad is being scammed.

sorry man, too good to be true usually is.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ask for an address where you can see the car and ask for him to take a photograph of the title and post it where you can see it. Bet you get no response because it is a scam.

There was a scam last week of a guy selling a 2008 Challenger SRT8 with 1400 miles for $26,000.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't ever let someone take your license plate when you sell your car. Unless you like receiving parking tickets and tollway fines in the mail.:)
eh... that's what the tearaway release of liability form is for on the title.. just fill it out and mail it to the DMV the day you sell the car.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
eh... that's what the tearaway release of liability form is for on the title.. just fill it out and mail it to the DMV the day you sell the car.
This is more than a one state forum. They have no tearaway release of liability forms on NY Titles.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In Texas you are required to take off your plates and have the new owner get a temporary transfer permit at the tax office or print one online that they can use until they can transfer the title in person at the tax office (up to 5 days). This requires the new owner to actually retitle the vehicle.

BTW, you can keep your plates for your new car for $5 if you like them. :p

Either way, if it's too good to be true.....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts