Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this from sort of security issue or just something out of the norm? Was getting into our 2010 the other day and the key fob appeared 100% dead. Pulled the metal key out of it and unlocked the door. The alarm went off when I opened the door. I put the key back in the fob and it wouldn't start the car via the push start. The alarm kept going off. I then popped the push start button out and used the key fob to start the car. Everything went back to normal and the fob worked fine after that.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
That's a valet key that will help you open the door if your key fobb dies.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
The alarm is suppose to go off if the doors unlocked it with the key and if the FOB isn't working you have to pop out the button and use the FOB to start the car. The only thing that doesn't sound right (other than the FOB malfunctioning) is why it started working on it's own without changeing batteries or anything after you started it one time.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
just off the top of my head but that doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Sounds like the "heat related fob issue" that's been discussed here recently....

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Ray if your talking about the alarm the manual says that's right.

NOTE:​

Entering a vehicle using the emergency key wit the theft alarm armed, will result in the alarm sounding.
Insert the Key Fob (even if the Key Fob battery is dead)

into the ignition switch to disarm theft alarm.

1 — OFF​

2 — ACCESSORY (ACCESSORY)
3 — ON/RUN

4 — START

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I'm pretty sure the owner's manual talks about a resynchronization process between the car and the FOB that requires you to remove the push start button and cycle it on using the key. (exactly what you did)

These cars use a rolling encryption key system and sometimes the key and the car get out of sync.

·
Vendor
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay cool. Sounds like either the out of sync issue or the heat issue as it was blistering that day. It's been working fine since.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hrmmm, mine died too, thanks, will try the out of sync, resync thang, and see if it works.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't confuse WIN module with PEM module, as operations are different.

okay cool. Sounds like either the out of sync issue or the heat issue as it was blistering that day. It's been working fine since.
HF;

What you are describing is a PEM (Personal Entry Module) module problem, and when you inserted the
FOBIK into the WIN (Wireless Ignition Node), you used the WIN for starting the car using the FOBIK as a key.

The WIN has a large coil to power the FOBIK in case the device has a dead or internal battery connection problem.
There has been issues with the PEM not responding to the FOBIK transponder codes and in my case, I dealt
with this for almost a year before there was a TSB to fix the PEM issue.

Note that if this continues with the PEM and it being HOT (high summertime
interior temps), you might want to get this recorded at your dealer as an
issue in case you can show history and get the PEM replaced if needed .

The service tech can look at your VIN and see if you have been updated (if
necessary) on any appropriate TSB's.

:smokin:

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I'm pretty sure the owner's manual talks about a resynchronization process between the car and the FOB that requires you to remove the push start button and cycle it on using the key. (exactly what you did)

These cars use a rolling encryption key system and sometimes the key and the car get out of sync.
Sorry for resurrecting an ancient (in Internet terms) thread, but I've been having a heckuva time with pseudo-random key fob unlock problems. On my Viper, the resync process is simple: hold the lock+unlock buttons down for five seconds until the horn sounds. I was expecting a similar key press combo for the 2010 Challenger SRT8 and was playing the key fob like a PS3 controller, but to no avail.

After reading your reference to the owner's manual, I spun up the DVD and read it "cover to cover", but didn't find any authoritative process for resync. Can anyone confirm that simply popping the button cover and starting the car (or is it turning to the Start position?) resynchronizes the key fob?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
FYI, my issue had the most obvious solution: replace the batteries. Apparently the daily driver key fob's battery died at almost exactly the same rate as the key fob locked in a steel safe for 99% of its life.

- Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts