Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Automotive design

Noticed my temp gauge climbing a little high in my 2016 SRT 392 lately, when driving in the daytime in Albuquerque, during stop and go city driving. Lately it's been in the high 80's to mid 90's around here. Coolant reservoir level is where it should be, I can't find any leaks anywhere. Water pump and thermostat were replaced around 30-35k miles ago. Could it really just be the ambient temperatures making the coolant temp climb past 215? Or is something else going on here?

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
I see the same thing here in Alabama in stop n go traffic if it's really hot, sunny day. Should cool down quickly once you hit open road. Mine does.

Reactions: Spartan040

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you are concerned, pull up the coolant temp gauge on your cluster for a more accurate reading. From what I see, what your analog gauge is showing is normal.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
610 Posts
ECT just above the center mark on a hot summer day in a heat soaked engine bay with minimal airflow while in stop and go driving...the cooling system seems to be working as designed.

Around 220F the fans will unmistakably be rocking on high speed trying to keep things cool. If that gauge hits 3/4 (230F) then I'd start being concerned.

However, these Hemis are very sensitive to any air trapped in the system which can wreck havoc, so maybe check that if it'll help ease your mind. To burp it, just remove the smaller hose on front of the water pump at its highest point (that hose goes to the oil cooler above the filter on 392s; the 345s just have a hex plug there).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts