Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the sound from under the hood is noticeably different in my 2014 Challenger R/T than it was in my 2006 Charger R/T. The Charger did have a Mopar CAI and a Corsa exhaust, whereas the Challenger is still stock, but I don't think either of those explain the difference I'm hearing.

Basically I'm hearing an extra layer of sound on top of the engine itself. I can hear it all the time...idle, acceleration, cruising. My imagination tells me that I'm hearing either the belts turning or a fan spinning. It's a higher pitched sound than the engine rumble. I popped the hood and listened at various places while my wife gave it some gas, but I couldn't pinpoint anything other than to say that the belts seem kinda loud.

I don't really have the sense that this is a problem, just...different. I've had the car for over a month and I still notice the sound every time I drive it, I haven't gotten used to it.

Is there something about the changes to the 5.7 in the last 7 years that might just make the belts inherently louder or something? It might not even be the belts, but that's my first guess based on what it sounds like.

I have roughly 1500 miles on it, maybe this is a "new car" sound that will go away as things break in more? I'm just grasping at straws.

Anybody have any idea?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I went from an '07 Charger R/T to a '13 Challenger R/T myself. I haven't noticed much difference between the two besides the hemi tick (the Charger didn't have it). The new Hemi has VVT and more HP (you probably know this) so it's not exactly the same engine, though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah it is normal, it is like a blowing whirring sound almost, windows down and coasting at near two thousand RPM I think I hear it best.

/Joe

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Yeah it is normal, it is like a blowing whirring sound almost, windows down and coasting at near two thousand RPM I think I hear it best.

/Joe
Yup, I noticed that sound too. My previous R/T didn't make that sound but my brand new one has this whine whooshing sound at throttle. I took it to the service dept and they told me it was completely normal.

·
187 Posts
Actually I thought it was the under the breath statements from others who where only wishing the their cars where as nice as the Challenger.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, "blowing whirring" is a good way to describe it actually. :) Well, I'm glad to hear that it's normal so I don't have to worry about something wrong under the hood which might eventually break.

I might get used to it, but so far I kinda wish I couldn't hear it. Maybe a catback exhaust would drown it out for me. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,342 Posts
The only belt driven component that might that kind of noise would be the alternator.
The only other thing is the water pump that is belt driven, but I've never heard a noisy water pump - unless the bearing was failing.

The '11+ 5.7s have an electric motor drive p/s pump.

The belt driven pumps (like the SRT still has) can make some sounds, but that's not the case with your example.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I had my car looked at twice to make sure it was ok. The first time the mechanic flat out told me it was normal. For good measure I dropped by on a later date (I literally live down the road from the dealership) and asked to have someone (was a different mechanic this time) drive in it to hear it on the road. They listened and brought the car in to check it out. They could not find anything wrong with it and said the engine checked out.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
BTW, if you turn up the volume on this video (another member's car) and listen close at around 21 sec you can hear that noise I was referring to...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i think i heard the noise. Honestly, its a brand new car. give it some wear-in time. Keep paying attention to it but give it a chance to subside.

I hate noises, ugg, such a PITA

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
i think i heard the noise. Honestly, its a brand new car. give it some wear-in time. Keep paying attention to it but give it a chance to subside.

I hate noises, ugg, such a PITA
I had my car checked out twice by the dealership and they contacted Chrysler just in case and to be sure. Was told it's normal and some cars sound that way. Some HEMIs have a louder tick than others too. My current R/T has the whine and my previous R/T didn't. However, my previous R/T had a louder HEMI tick... go figure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts