Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am hoping that someone can confirm if this sounds normal for a Hemi? I dont hear this until the car is warmed up. When I am in a drive through line and I can hear my engine reverberating off the walls I have been wondering if there is something wrong. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

2010 Challenger R/T

Schiffyliffer

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
If this is your first Hemi it's probably the tick. After a while you'll sometimes wonder where is the tick?

This is the Hemi Tick! ( if it was a super hero)

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
That's probably the best video that isolates the hemi tick sound I've seen on these forums, so far. ;)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
LOL Great responces! Don't feel bad for asking tho, I liked to freaked in 04 over that, made them bring two more up just to confirm it wasn't just mine! Next will be the Hemi crack to exhaust, once u start moding the exhaust! ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I noticed the tick at the dealer. I asked them if that was normal and was told that the new HEMIs all do it. I don't notice it so much now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi All,

I am hoping that someone can confirm if this sounds normal for a Hemi? I dont hear this until the car is warmed up. When I am in a drive through line and I can hear my engine reverberating off the walls I have been wondering if there is something wrong. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

YouTube - Hemi Tick??
2010 Challenger R/T

Schiffyliffer
I have a 2010 R/T 5.7L and it don't make any noise like that.
This winter I let the car sit two months before starting it and it made that noise at start up and for a good 30 seconds then it quit.
Since then I run it once a week and my engine is quiet, not like yours at all.
Sounds like a lifter deal or something.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Jesus. First time I've ever heard it. Sounds more like a locomotive clacking down the tracks than a little tick. I hope they fixed it for the 392s.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 5.7 in my Challenger makes that identical noise (mostly heard in drive-thrus and next to walls). I was told it was normal, but the 5.7 in my Durango doesn`t make that noise...

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Mine does it...

- I hear it on the drivers side when I am along a wall
- It goes away when I gas on it
- I have 2K Km on it
- It pulls like a freight train and screams like a raped ape

I personally attribute it to lots of moving and rolling parts and concern from drivers who get surrounded by little pumping hearts whenever they are near their car.

I think of it as my loyal pet sitting and panting and waiting for me.

Want more ticky tacky - get a diesel!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
What are you running- Diesel fuel? Mine does not sound like that. Mine is quiet. All I hear is the fan.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Sounds good!! :D

I don't hear a pronounced tick though. Mine has 50K miles on it and I only hear it mildly when I'm in a drive thru or otherwise next to a wall and just idling. :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Never heard that from mine. Just ran down to my garage, popped the hood, and ran it for a few minutes. No ticking here.

·
Registered
954 Posts
my 2010 r/t classic makes a tick,i think it is a common thing but i dont know why they do that,really a noisy engine when confined inside the garage.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
My '08 Charger R/T had the "Hemi tick" just like yours, dunno if I'd call it normal. But it isn't out of the ordinary with the 5.7

1 - 18 of 18 Posts