Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see mostly questions about gaskets, reseting oil lights ect. Not sure if this has been asked. 2019 6.4 challenger calls for 7 quarts. Im at 3800 miles and did my first oil change.

I put 7 quarts in and I'm over the safe zone limit by 1/4 inch. Marked by the white line in the pic.

I let it drain for plenty of time. Yes I changed the old filter. So no left over oil there. I let the car sit for 2 hours and rechecked. Same. Hasn't gone down. I'm checking on level ground.

Should i worry? From my understanding to much oil it'll become frothy and not pump. But what's to much? I mean it calls for 7 and I put 7 in. So not sure why im over
IMG_20200222_154149.jpg

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
my 14 is 7 qrts and DEAD on the stick, not sure what happened to your oil change.

I let mine drain for a month or two tho……………….

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,426 Posts
You may get a couple of different opinions here but I’ll start. It calls for 7. I put 7 in and don’t fret if the level is a bit high. I do the same thing you do.....I drain it as thoroughly as possible and then fill it. I believe the dipsticks are not to be considered “scientifically” accurate. The best thing to do is when you drain it next time, take the time to measure every bit you drain from the pan and filter. Only then will you know what to exactly replace. I wouldn’t be concerned about a 1/4”. My $.02 worth

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,562 Posts
It looks like a lot on the dipstick, but the most you could have overfilled it, I’m thinking, is about 1/2 quart. In which case you are fine to run it without draining any out.

If you were all the way up to 8 quarts by overfilling, then you would have to worry about the aeration of the oil from the crankshaft, but not with only being over by <1 quart

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
833 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys. It seems like i Shouldnt mess with it is what I'm getting.
Probably a good idea. If i drain some out I'm going to worry the dip stick for some reason is going down to far and that's why it was showing high. Now all i did is take a quart out so the dip stick is accurate but now i only have 6 quarts instead of 7.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,426 Posts
When the capacity is given at 7 quarts, and you drain it fully with a filter change, where would that “extra” undrained oil be hiding, and then mysteriously reappearing on your dipstick? Trust the quantity that you put back in and sleep soundly.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
empty new filter?
filter wont fill with oil, until the car is started, then you should have the proper amount if you are in a total of only 7 quarts in.
Its good practice to 1/2 fil the new filter prior to install to avoid the momentary dry start. better to be too low than too high. I always add 6 quarts. run till warm. let cool and top off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
empty new filter?
filter wont fill with oil, until the car is started, then you should have the proper amount if you are in a total of only 7 quarts in.
Its good practice to 1/2 fil the new filter prior to install to avoid the momentary dry start. better to be too low than too high. I always add 6 quarts. run till warm. let cool and top off.
No the new oil filter I put on was not empty. I filled it 3/4 full of oil before installing it. And no I didn't use a separate quart of oil for the filter and then add 7 to the engine. The oil i added to the filter came from 1 of the 7 quarts.
Only difference was the filter on there was a black mopar one. I put the more expensive SRT mopar filter on.

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
I would trust your dipstick. Usually your engine will not take a full 7 quarts before exceeding the "safe" mark. That is because your engine can retain up to 1/2 quarts of old oil in the pump and its many oil passages and crevices.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would drain some out. If overfilled you run the risk of blowing seals due to extra pressure caused by too much oil.
Seriously? No that's not going to happen.

OP I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The proper amount of oil is tricky.

While the owners manual might call for 7 quarts the owners manual doesn't get updated if there's a production line change and the oil capacity drops to something less (or becomes more) than the stated 7 quarts.

The dipstick can be changed to reflect the different amount of oil, showing the level is correct even though less than 7 quarts was added.

With other cars the factory provided -- to the techs at least -- the engine oil capacity based on the car's VIN. If there was a production line change that caused the engine oil capacity to change from what was in the owners manual or the factory service manual this was logged.

Even though the level is at least high on the dipstick, I'd not bother to drain any oil out. The bit of extra oil is not sufficient to have the crank "dipping" into the oil.

Next time you change the oil consider adding 6 quarts or 6 1/2 quarts of oil then running the engine a bit to circulate the oil then shut off the engine and after a while check the level and if not to the full mark add enough oil to bring it to the full mark.

Note: It is important you drain the oil hot and check the level hot. Besides ensuring a better quality drain and a faster one if you fill the engine to "full" with it and the oil cold when everything is up to temperature the oil level can read high.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should of added. I didn't use the stock black mopar filter. I believe i got the idea from challengertalk to upgrade to the SRT filter as it seems thats what most people were doing.
I didn't hold them side by side to see of they were the same size but I'm thinking they are

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
This thread is funny. I’ve been a Master Tech for 40+ years. I’ve worked for a few new car dealers including Dodge over the years. When I change the oil in my Redeye (1st time @1K last month) . I drain the oil,remove the filter remove the cooler plug. I let the car sit 20/30 minutes. Use a new SRT filter 7 qts 0/40 Penzoil. I don’t even pull the stick and look. I think on my Scatpack years ago I took a trip to south Florida and when I got there I checked the oil. Car had less then 800 miles on it but had a really bad AM tick. Don’t stress out over the simple stuff.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
This thread is funny. I’ve been a Master Tech for 40+ years. I’ve worked for a few new car dealers including Dodge over the years. When I change the oil in my Redeye (1st time @1K last month) . I drain the oil,remove the filter remove the cooler plug. I let the car sit 20/30 minutes. Use a new SRT filter 7 qts 0/40 Penzoil. I don’t even pull the stick and look. I think on my Scatpack years ago I took a trip to south Florida and when I got there I checked the oil. Car had less then 800 miles on it but had a really bad AM tick. Don’t stress out over the simple stuff.
Did you ever work at a Ford dealer? Had my Mustang GT (with the then new 4.6l SOHC engine) in for oil/filter services at various Ford dealers. Owners manual called for 5 quarts. However, the engine required 6 quarts.

Not one time can I recall the car coming out of service with the correct amount of oil in it. The level was always low. The techs must have used the dump in 5 quarts of oil and who needs to check the dipstick oil change technique.

Glad you managed to avoid any issues with your new Scat Pack by not checking the oil level for a while. But with a new car/new engine it is advisable to check the oil level often to ensure the engine doesn't have an oil consumption problem. The worst time to find out the engine is low on oil is when the low oil level or oil pressure warning light comes on.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts