Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wracking my brain studying videos of many different exhaust brands for weeks. (I know: you can't get the full/accurate sound from a video alone.) I've heard many, many great things about Solo, but many of the videos seem to exhibit "false" sound reproduction with lots of flutter and other acoustics that the people recording them say don't exist in real life.

I discovered this YouTube video last night, and it sounds a lot different from almost every other Solo exhaust on a 5.7 that I've heard before. Is this what Solo really sounds like??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTb8XzbV8FE&list=LLDoJSBwggUphq7QsARXMYjg&feature=mh_lolz

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah that's about right, like you say, tough to judge from videos though. Solo's "official" video for the challenger exhaust is still the best though. The flutter is all from the camera, it does NOT flutter AT ALL in real life.

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I've been wracking my brain studying videos of many different exhaust brands for weeks. (I know: you can't get the full/accurate sound from a video alone.) I've heard many, many great things about Solo, but many of the videos seem to exhibit "false" sound reproduction with lots of flutter and other acoustics that the people recording them say don't exist in real life.

I discovered this YouTube video last night, and it sounds a lot different from almost every other Solo exhaust on a 5.7 that I've heard before. Is this what Solo really sounds like??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTb8XzbV8FE&list=LLDoJSBwggUphq7QsARXMYjg&feature=mh_lolz

I know this is a TOUGH decision, and you'll be dropping a lot of coin for the catback you feels is the best for you. Sound clips DO NOT do any exhaust justice. You have to hear it in person to believe it... in fact if that person is nice drive around with them and get a feel for how it sounds inside the car as well. Start up and rev tells very little, you need to hear it from all angles and perspectives.

Go to the regional subforums and ask if anyone in your area has the exhausts that you've narrowed it down too. I made a mistake the first time of just wanting something because of a deal I got and was ultimately disappointed with the Borla Touring system, it's barely louder than stock! On top of that it droned.

I went to the dealersip with a guy who had Zoomers on an 2011 SRT. I heard it from the outside, cold, then fully warmed up. Then he took me for a spin and I KNEW at that point Zoomers was for me. It was ballsy, loud, fat sounding (in a good way), had that muscle car rumble, was deep and SMOOOOOOOTH. Then I felt very confident once I purchased the system on my car. 2 1/2 years late I am still smiling ear to ear everytime I drive.

Solo's good but is too raspy for me. On top of that it's too tame for my tastes. But, when you gun it, it does sound awesome. At the end of the day I wanted the more aggressive sound so I went with Zoomers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
OmahaRumble,

I've seen your comments on the Zoomers you have installed
before and you're a fan for sure.

I've just installed Zoomers and I am surprised with the outcome.
The exhaust note is loud (as expected), but kind of popping.
There is a lot of drone at COLD. Once warmed up it is better, but
I definitely hear more drone (real drone like the "window partially open" drone )
during acceleration, than I had heard on my Blastin Bobs setup. I was under the
impression that I'd have no drone.

I am thinking that the change to a 2 1/4 diameter might have something to do with it.
It looks to me like the actual muffler and resonator are at least 2 1/2 or 3" internal
diameter, with the pipe sections in between only 2 1/4.

What diameter pipe is used in your install?

Thanks,
Don

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I've seen that video before and have to say that's much louder all-around than my Solo, even at idle and low RPM it has a rumble that I don't have so I have no idea what else has been done to it. I even have shorty headers and it's pretty dang quiet at idle.

I suppose it's possible the audio/mic used makes the lower tones sound more pronounced or something, but...something's up with the sound in that video.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I recently recorded my Borla cat-back. I tried two cameras and neither sounded exactly as the exhaust sounded.

One was way off in how it recorded the sound and seemed to struggle handling the volume, the mic seemed to saturate too easily. The other camera was a lot closer to the actual sound, but still not quite there. It did give a good representation of the sound that was close enough for what I was looking for, but does not exactly reproduce it.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
OmahaRumble,

I've seen your comments on the Zoomers you have installed
before and you're a fan for sure.

I've just installed Zoomers and I am surprised with the outcome.
The exhaust note is loud (as expected), but kind of popping.
There is a lot of drone at COLD. Once warmed up it is better, but
I definitely hear more drone (real drone like the "window partially open" drone )
during acceleration, than I had heard on my Blastin Bobs setup. I was under the
impression that I'd have no drone.

I am thinking that the change to a 2 1/4 diameter might have something to do with it.
It looks to me like the actual muffler and resonator are at least 2 1/2 or 3" internal
diameter, with the pipe sections in between only 2 1/4.

What diameter pipe is used in your install?

Thanks,
Don
I hear what you're saying. Honestly I had drone with my Borla but none with my Zoomers. I am also running the 2.5" piping. The thing I can think of is that my x-pipe (the one that Zoomers provided) may be the key to me not having drone. They changed the design last year to straight pipes rather than the x-pipe. It's my understanding that there are weld issues where the two straight pipes connect, and that may be causing drone.

I also have a 6 speed, not sure if that's another reason why I don't have drone.

I would call Frank and see what he has to say about it. Most everybody I talk to that has Zoomers can state they it has no drone. Now you will hear noise at all RPMs., so you let off the throttle, there is all engine/exhaust sound that has a textured sound. To be clear, drone is a messy noisy resonance that is a single tone that doesn't sound good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts