Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on my first mod on the challenger (keeping the charger stock for now), exhaust. Considering my car only has 10k miles on it, the exhaust system is still pretty new on it. I can't see any reason to purchase a cat back system at this moment (same diameter pipes). What I intend on doing is cutting off the resonators and mufflers and replacing the mufflers with flowmaster 40 series, but when talking about how this effects performance, it can be a can of worms on the internet. Some people say you lose performance and others say you gain 15 hp. Regardless of your setup, could you post your setup and pre/post dyno results or time sheets?

I'm actually surprised so many challenger owners frown upon drone. Back when I had my GT, it was pretty much understood...yeah...you're gonna have some and nobody complained about it. I had no cats h pipe and flowmasters welded in and I loved the sound. So I am not concerned with drone, even as an every day driver. As far as sound goes, I very much dislike the raspy sounding exhaust systems. I love the deep muscle car sound. Needless to say I'm surprised sometimes by the praise for borla, corsa, zoomers, and solo systems, as they (at least on the video clips) sound awfully raspy, almost euro sounding. That being said, if there's a substantial gain from opting for these brands, then I could understand that (sound preference vs performance).

I've searched and have found a few different post exhaust install dyno results, but most are from manufacturers...I'd prefer to hear from actual owners. I appreciate anyone willing to chime in with their experience.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If you do that you'll have 4 mufflers on your car... You don't want mufflers by the tail pipes either. It will make the car sound more like an import or modular Mustang and less like that iconic muscle car rumble. I have the American Thunder Flowmaster cat back and it's great. A little drone at times but really only at low speeds and never on the the highway. You can go with a reso delete kit like a Blastin Bob's kit or have your local shop cut the resonators off (the big things right by your exhaust tips) and just run the factory bottle mufflers. Another option is a poor mans set up and have the shop remove the bottles and resonators and add Flowmasters behind the axle (where the bottle mufflers are) and pipes back to your tips. Some like to use a glass pack where the factory resonators are to combat drone (exhaust is too quiet that way IMO).

My shop quoted me at $120 for a Flowmaster poor man set up but I went all in for a Cat back. Flowmaster Cat back sound is very deep. Cat backs are better for flow because they are mandrel bent vs compression bends from a shop and they're stainless vs aluminized steel from a shop... You can go to Flowmaster's website and download dyno sheets showing the gains for their systems on your specific car. Take the numbers with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you do that you'll have 4 mufflers on your car... You don't want mufflers by the tail pipes either. It will make the car sound more like an import or modular Mustang and less like that iconic muscle car rumble. I have the American Thunder Flowmaster cat back and it's great. A little drone at times but really only at low speeds and never on the the highway. You can go with a reso delete kit like a Blastin Bob's kit or have your local shop cut the resonators off (the big things right by your exhaust tips) and just run the factory bottle mufflers. Another option is a poor mans set up and have the shop remove the bottles and resonators and add Flowmasters behind the axle (where the bottle mufflers are) and pipes back to your tips. Some like to use a glass pack where the factory resonators are to combat drone (exhaust is too quiet that way IMO).

My shop quoted me at $120 for a Flowmaster poor man set up but I went all in for a Cat back. Flowmaster Cat back sound is very deep. Cat backs are better for flow because they are mandrel bent vs compression bends from a shop and they're stainless vs aluminized steel from a shop... You can go to Flowmaster's website and download dyno sheets showing the gains for their systems on your specific car. Take the numbers with a grain of salt.
Ok.....I never meant in addition to lol. I meant replacing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1,931 Posts
The exhaust on these cars are not restrictive enough to really show any material HP gains....headers will make a big difference on the RT using SRT shortys or long tubes..If you do the rest of the exhaust do it for sound....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts