Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
SRT 392
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post. I just faced the following problem on my 2015 SRT392. I have the Alpine SG2. I installed an enclosed 12" Subwoofer in the trunk with an amplifier tapped to the rear oem 8" sub which I disconnected. Everything worked fine with good bass response. The door oem mid-bass speakers distorted when increasing the volume. I lived with that issue for some time by transferring the sound with the eq to the rear.
This morning, I decided to unplug the door speakers as the 12" bass in the trunk should be more than enough. I removed the door panels and took out the door speakers.
When turning the head unit on, I can hear sound from all speakers except from the sub in the rear. The amp is not turning on as it did before, it does not get any signal from the speaker cables. Looks like disconnecting the door speakers somehow disconnected the rear subwoofer too? I left the door speaker cable with the connector on the door floor.
Any ideas what the problem might be? I would really hate to plug in again the door 6x9 speakers, there has to be another solution.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,628 Posts
The stock system will stop sending sound signals down any speaker channel it detects abnormal resistance on when doing its startup routine. This includes unplugging the speaker on the channel AFAIK.

As for why the sub channel is no longer seeing signals, I would guess it is because the resistance given by the aftermarket sub amp is too high, and the stock system thinks that’s a shorted wire and shut it down.

However, that should have been the case from the start, I cannot say why it worked for a while and then acted as it was designed.

There are a couple of options for taking the stock high-level signal and feeding it to an aftermarket sub amp, some more involved than others. I have personally wired 2-3 ohm resistors inline to the channel upstream of the amp, and that worked fine.

Some amps even have an input switch that can be flipped to present less resistance for scenarios like this, and that functionality will be noted in the amp manual. Check yours for phrases like “High and Low input voltage” to see if yours has it.

Ultimately I think the quickest way to see if this is just a problem with the stock system playing nice with aftermarket parts, I think your quickest test should be just plugging the 8” sub back in. You can still feed the aftermarket sub amp from that channel, but plugging in the 8” will make the stock amp believe all is well again, and thus your aftermarket amp should receive sound to amplify again.

It will require adjustment in that scenario, as the watts coming down the pipe will get halved to go the new amp, but that’s prob something you already do once or twice a week, right? 😉

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hmm - were the door 6x9's distorting at higher volumes even before installing the new sub? I'm thinking there were, since it doesn't make sense that they would only start distorting when you added a subwoofer... If that is the case (that they have been distorting), I would assume that they are damaged somehow - which is strange, because the OEM amp should not damage the OEM 6x9's... Unless there were water-damaged or something like that.

IMO, you really want to replace the door speakers instead of just unplugging them. The door speakers are mid-bass speaekrs, not subwoofers. By disconnecting them, you are going to have a big hole in your frequency response between the sub-bass and the midrange. A subwoofer isn't meant to replace midbass speakers and doesn't play midbass freqs.

I would get a good set of 6x9's and replace them. If you are running off of the OEM amp or any amp 100W RMS or lower, you can get some CDT Audio CL69Sub 6x9s that do really well - for about $100/pair (they are on sale). That would solve both your 6x9 distortion issue as well as your current issue - without losing the midbass section of the audio spectrum.

·
Registered
SRT 392
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your answers, Nuke and Jtrosky. The 6x9 door speakers were always distorting when playing loud bass heavy music. I have just placed an order for the Kicker 43DSC69304 6x9 speakers and the Metra 72-6515 adapter. Hopefully everything goes back to normal. I will have to survive for a couple of weeks (shipments to Dubai take ages). I will have to listen to those classic acapella records in the meantime.
Thank you again for your support, much appreciated.

·
Registered
SRT 392
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I installed the new 6x9"s at both doors and now there is no more distortion nor door rattling. The 12" bass in the trunk is working back again and the amp turning on when turning the head unit. All good now. Thanks for your feedback guys. Glad I can listen to bass music again.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,254 Posts

A Guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts