Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Finally got a call back from the dealer/service center yesterday. It seems that the warranty representative has authorized the replacement of the transmission. They are now waiting for the replacement unit to arrive. I hope this is the last chapter of this story. This was my first FCA purchase and so far I’m a little shaken. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
there can be glitches with the trans from the supplier - its happen over the years.

I'd rather have an entire unit replaced vs. a dealership that many not have many techs experienced in manual transmissions. With the Viper out of production, which was MTX only; the only other vehicles that are MTX have been Ram trucks and those are a smaller % of what's on the roads

there's been a number of A8s that got replaced under warranty in the earlier years, so they can have their issues as well

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Agree with Hal H on this. While in the case of my Porsche Turbo and its 6-speed manual I would not have had any concerns about either one of the senior techs working on the transmission rebuilding it to address the selector shaft seal leak and taking care of any other issues both were quite experienced having worked professionally on Porsche cars for decades and having good experience with transmission repairs.

But a replacement transmission is generally the better solution. It is either new or possibly has been returned and rebuilt and is as good as new.

It is a simple case of out with the bad in with the good.

Keep all paperwork related to the transmission replacement. If you ever decide to sell the car privately you want to be able to show the prospective buyer that it was nothing you did that caused the problem.

Remember too the replacement transmission could be new (or have some new parts in it) so treat it "gently" to give it time to break in.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts