Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st off I have a 2009 R/T 6 speed. I purchased a Predator over the winter and now that the weather is starting to break I am wanting to try this out, but I have read MANY posts about throttle lag in 4th & 5th gear after installing a tune on the 2009 & 2010 cars that now I don't know if I want to go ahead with it. I also understand that once it does the update that I will be stuck with it even after removing the tune! Is this true, is there away around it if it is, is there something in the tune you can adjust?

Please help, and thanks!!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Okay, what you first need to do is plug your Predator in and see what crom version is loaded on the tool. If it reads 9r30 or higher, I would not recommend loading a tune. If you do, the tool will re write your car's Calibration ID, resulting in the dreaded throttle lag.

If your Predator's screen reads crom 9r27, you might be able to load a tune with out having the tool try and update your Cal ID. If the tool asks "Update Cal ID?" DO NOT proceed. Unplug the tool.

If your tool displays crom 9r23, you are safe to install a tune.

Here again, if the tool ever asks "Update Cal ID?" do not proceed!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've seen this discussed in a couple places here, but I'm completely missing the background on this. Last week I finally got a Trinity, installed and did all updates it asked for, including a calibration update or whatever. Currently on the 93 can tune.
I had not done any reading in a while on this until after getting it and installing the tune, so I've just seen this issue vaguely discussed in the last couple days of reading around. So I think I'm already past the point of no return? I'm not sure. What is the issue here? What is this throttle lag supposed to feel like? Why would diablosport put out a bad can tune? Will a custom tune from someone like the Johan guy fix it?

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I've seen this discussed in a couple places here, but I'm completely missing the background on this. Last week I finally got a Trinity, installed and did all updates it asked for, including a calibration update or whatever. Currently on the 93 can tune.
I had not done any reading in a while on this until after getting it and installing the tune, so I've just seen this issue vaguely discussed in the last couple days of reading around. So I think I'm already past the point of no return? I'm not sure. What is the issue here? What is this throttle lag supposed to feel like? Why would diablosport put out a bad can tune? Will a custom tune from someone like the Johan guy fix it?
Take a look at this http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/acceleration-delay-34036/index3.html#post780535

·
Registered
352 Posts
That video is crazy.
Read through that and several other threads though and I'm still not sure how this is a predator/trinity issue. Do you have another thread link about why the diablosport update has anything to do with this? (sorry, I've been searching but I haven't been able to find this specific answer)
All I see is that its about a dealer reflash, but shouldn't the tuner fix something like this?

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
No, when the tuner requires a Calibration ID Update before you can load a tune, that is what causes the throttle lag. Not the tune itself.

The Cal ID number that ends in AG is the problem. There is no correction that can be made through tuning to eliminate the throttle lag that is cause by Cal ID AG. You have to revert back to Cal ID that ends in AE to get rid of the lag.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
CAUTION !!!! DO NOT EVEN PLUG THE TUNER INTO YOUR PC IF ITS ONLINE.
Make sure your off line and your PC wont or cant go online beacuse it will try and auto update and then your screwed !!!!!!! you wont be able to unplug it fast enough.
FlatTop

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've been reading tons of threads and it seems like much ado about nothing?
Sounds like adding a little throttle boost to the tune pretty much fixes it?
And it more than anything has to do with your driving style from everything I'm reading. I never coast and I drive it like I stole it, and I love to hear those rpm's. So presumably I won't even notice it from what I'm reading.
I can't test it just yet. I was installing the Hurst shifter and found I was missing a pin, so I'm waiting on that part. Once the shifter is together in a couple days, I'll get out and drive and see if I can notice this throttle lag issue.

Sorry, but running old software goes against everything I know. First thing I did when I opened the Trinity was update everything on the pc.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I've been reading tons of threads and it seems like much ado about nothing? This couldn't be further from the truth.
Sounds like adding a little throttle boost to the tune pretty much fixes it? Unfortunately, NO.
And it more than anything has to do with your driving style from everything I'm reading. I never coast and I drive it like I stole it, and I love to hear those rpm's. So presumably I won't even notice it from what I'm reading. Throttle lag caused from CAL ID AG is very noticeable under normal driving too.
I can't test it just yet. I was installing the Hurst shifter and found I was missing a pin, so I'm waiting on that part. Once the shifter is together in a couple days, I'll get out and drive and see if I can notice this throttle lag issue.

Sorry, but running old software goes against everything I know. First thing I did when I opened the Trinity was update everything on the pc.
I wish you the best...

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Throttle lag is in every version including 27cr you must get back to 23cr to keep it out/or remove it. Preditors with 30cr CAN NOT be moved back past 27cr which has the lag you must START with the 27cr to get back to 23cr. Think of it this way, when the tunes are built, a "stock" tune is also on there (no it does not actually "store" whatever factory tune you had, it overwrites it and when you restore to stock it installs its own "stock" tune).when cr23 was written there was no factory reflash on the stock AE tune that was on the car that they used to write it, by the time they wrote cr27 THAT particular car had been reflashed by the factory with the throotle lag, so the "stock" tune has it in it. So first off before you plug anything in check you EVIC and see what version you have, the number doesn't matter it's the two letters on the end, AB,AC,AD, and AE are NO LAG factory tunes, AG you are screwed as there WAS no way to restore a factory flashed car, and then turns out if you hook a 27-30 Preditor and now I believe ALSO both In-Tune and Trinity it will update your 6-speed to lag, really POing a lot of folks but there is a cure for both rather factory or tuner installed and that is a Preditor with cr23 as you don't have to even install the tuners tune, plug it in to a AG car, and it will update to the AE "pre-lag" version. When this was discovered the cr's were available but have since been removed, also the cr30 tune was "locked" so that it will no update "backwards" past cr27 you must START with cr27 to get back to cr23, you would think they would fix/remove this from the updated cr's but guess not, just goes to show everything new and updated is not necessarily IMPROVED, and thanks to Teraform for figuring out how to "UnFlash" a car that's been flashed by either the factory or a tuner, Diablo and Chrysler will not but it is not "Driving-style" my uninformed friend, nor will pulling #2 fuse and it's only 6-speeds that get the lag in 4,5,and 6 shifts. Also as flattop suggested NEVER update any with an "on-line" computer as it will try to update itself, don't you just love having a computer operated engine! ;)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to drum it back up and add my experience from today. I have an 09 SRT auto that has been on 9r22 and CALID "AD" for years. I decided to dust off the Predator and update it. I knew about the throttle lag but wasn't too concerned because mine is not a 6 speed so I updated the predator to 9r30 from the diablo site, went out to the car, installed my 93 CAI tune (after changing fan settings), and it sent the tune no problemo. Never asked for a calibration update. So now I have 9r30 with all the tunes and goodness of that version... on AD CALID. Called DiabloSport and they said it didn't ask because AD is supported by 9r30. So I guess if you're on AD (and maybe AE) already, 9r30 won't make you update the CALID.

Mike

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Just read this thread, a little confusing as the CalID (AD, AE, AG) and CROM Versions (9r27, 9r22, 9r30) are two seperate things. Unless I am missing something here lol
Yes but I think the point is that some croms only support some CALID's. And if your CALID is old enough, 9r30 will force you to update to AG.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts