Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...but I couldn't help myself. Same situation as last time, a car well outclassed initiates a stoplight race (last time was an RX8). I'm at a stop light. No one is around. And I'm next to a pre 2011 Mustang. I believe it was a V6 because I saw no GT badge. It was a green convertible that said SVT on the back.

Anyway, as soon as the light turned green...he launched like he was racing for his life. As he pulled away, I floored it and shifted at 6000 RPM (car has 800 miles on it). I blew past him and hit the brakes when I was 5 car lengths ahead (He was at least 2 ahead when this started).

I know. Immature, dangerous, etc. I shouldn't have done it. I did it anyway. Felt good crushing him.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
SVT is a Cobra Mustang, would think those things are fairly quick.

The other night I was driving home and was first at the light, I took off and left some distance between myself and the rest of the lines of cars, got up to 60 and just cruised. I looked in my mirror and saw these headlight weaving through the line, then flew up next to me and just sat next to me. I looked over and it was a brand new BMW M5, so I hit it, as well as he did, stayed next to him all the way until top of 3rd gear before he pulled away from me. Not too shabby I thought.......... for a car that costs about $60,000 less than his.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wasn't aware what an SVT was...

...this car had paint similar to GWE, only lighter. I don't think he was "up badging" because he had a Chief Petty Officer sticker on his rear window (could have been E-7-- E-9).

·
Registered
535 Posts
SVT is a Cobra Mustang, would think those things are fairly quick.

The other night I was driving home and was first at the light, I took off and left some distance between myself and the rest of the lines of cars, got up to 60 and just cruised. I looked in my mirror and saw these headlight weaving through the line, then flew up next to me and just sat next to me. I looked over and it was a brand new BMW M5, so I hit it, as well as he did, stayed next to him all the way until top of 3rd gear before he pulled away from me. Not too shabby I thought.......... for a car that costs about $60,000 less than his.
New M5's have 560hp

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
New M5's have 560hp
Yeah twin Turbo V8, it was fun though, and we were out on the open highway well ahead of traffic. Man, on the west side of Austin there are a lot of rich people. I drive home everyday and see those kind of cars, Supercharged Mercedes, etc. Ferarri's, Lambos every now and then. One day saw a Lexus LFA, that car was amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
...but I couldn't help myself. Same situation as last time, a car well outclassed initiates a stoplight race (last time was an RX8). I'm at a stop light. No one is around. And I'm next to a pre 2011 Mustang. I believe it was a V6 because I saw no GT badge. It was a green convertible that said SVT on the back.

Anyway, as soon as the light turned green...he launched like he was racing for his life. As he pulled away, I floored it and shifted at 6000 RPM (car has 800 miles on it). I blew past him and hit the brakes when I was 5 car lengths ahead (He was at least 2 ahead when this started).

I know. Immature, dangerous, etc. I shouldn't have done it. I did it anyway. Felt good crushing him.
Just out of curiosity, if you would have had your past R/T what would have happened?

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
On a good launch....

Just out of curiosity, if you would have had your past R/T what would have happened?
...with the RT, I might have caught up to him. He was ahead. But never blew past him. This SRT is faster than I thought. I was lucky. The wheels hooked, no spin. Probably because I thought it was a V6, was relaxed, and didn't over-react on launch.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Hmmm. I am real curious to know if he was posing or not. Did you happen to notice if it had dual exhaust? If he was a cobra he should have had the snakes on the fender where the GT badge goes. He could have removed them, but he left the svt emblem on the back.

Interesting. In any case it sounded fun! Congrats.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It had dual exhaust, but I don't remember seeing cobra emblems. I probably would not have missed that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
387 Posts
If it's a 03-04 Cobra...don't even try it. Unless the owner can't drive, you will get completely embarrassed. My Dad has one and all it's got is CAI, exhaust, pulleys, and a tune. He has man-handled GT 500s, Corvette Z06s, etc. with it. It is a NASTY car, and he's got $17K total invested, including what was paid for the car. The look on that Corvette owner's face was priceless.

If it's pre-2003 then they really weren't all that fast. I think they were around 300 horsepower or so and a regular Challenger R/T could run with one of those today.

I'll bet it sure was fun driving your new car to the limit though! Congrats man!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The older 4.6 32 valve v8's only had 305 hp and were 14 second cars,some of the svt's were 4 cylinder turbos. I know I had one of each. Since I've had a c5 vette and my Challenger RT Challenger with a tune was faster than the stock Vette.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This car looked like a retro

....06-10 Mustang. The tail lights were HUGE. I actually like the looks mustangs from those years (more retro--I'm a retro guy). I believe he was "hell bent on embarrassing" a Challenger, by the way he launched. I believe he may have thought that I was driving a V6, because from his angle, he could not have seen the 392 badge. He saw an unmarked hood (I live in the Norfolk area, it seems that about 60% of the Challengers are V6, and maybe 5% are SRT...the rest are RT's). He may have not have taken me seriously, and held back. He was surprised, because after I passed him, he immediately switched lanes, and got behind me. Maybe we both "underestimated." ;)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The 03 to 06 svt Cobras were 390 hp ran 12.90s with a good driver.(I'd try one in a heart beat WXman!)
07s was the start of the Gt 500 you would have spotted it right off.(Hell I'd try one of these,worst could happen is I'd loss,so what)I'ts all fun!

Any kill is a good kill!

·
Registered
722 Posts

READ your last line again. I hope that you don't have to tell that to the police, a judge, or a victim's family someday after you kill or seriously injure someone. Don't say it can't happen to you. I've seen it happen many times. And it's always the innocent person "who just came out of nowhere" that pays the price. If you want to race, go to a track.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I hope you are correct

Not defending my actions. I did a quick risk assessment, prior to launch. Key word is risk. If I drove this car within strict legal parameters 100% of the time....I would NOT have bought it. I would not have spent that amount of money on a street legal car that I sometimes take to a track. If I intended to race at tracks frequently, I'd have built a pure race car (from some old wreck), and bought a slow, high mileage car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
READ your last line again. I hope that you don't have to tell that to the police, a judge, or a victim's family someday after you kill or seriously injure someone. Don't say it can't happen to you. I've seen it happen many times. And it's always the innocent person "who just came out of nowhere" that pays the price. If you want to race, go to a track.
By this viewpoint, we should all drive a Toyota Corolla and keep a toy in the garage for hauling to the track a few days a year. If you're not going to enjoy a Challenger for WHAT IT WAS BUILT FOR, then why buy one? There are lots of cars that are more fuel efficient, more roomy, more practical, cheaper to insure, with nicer interiors and comfort. But we buy Challengers/Chargers/Mustangs/Camaros for one reason and one reason only...and that's because they go FAST.

Not saying that people should ever be wreckless or dangerous or stupid in their rides...but com' on man. The pedal on the far right should get most of the work on these cars.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Same old, same old. Like clockwork.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gman..government man?....you came out of nowhere, innocent from your father into your mom's womb and you are now-here. Don't you love it when people pass on their fears hoping to infect others. Like waiting for the left turn green arrow when nobody is coming. Intelligence through common sense allows some of us to make judgments without it being regulated by law or opinions of self-righteous dudes. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts