Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the summer I'm lucky to see one Challenger on the road a day. Today I was out for a ride with the wife and saw 3 differrent Challengers all covered with dirt and salt from the roads. It really hurt to see them in that condition even though I know not everyone can put them away for the winter. When I was young and driving my 70 Nova SS as a everyday car people were probably saying the same about me.

·
Registered
410 Posts
During the summer I'm lucky to see one Challenger on the road a day. Today I was out for a ride with the wife and saw 3 differrent Challengers all covered with dirt and salt from the roads. It really hurt to see them in that condition even though I know not everyone can put them away for the winter. When I was young and driving my 70 Nova SS as a everyday car people were probably saying the same about me.
Why feel bad when they are being used in accords to their purpose?

I love to see these cars being used as daily drivers in all types of weather.

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
I should have know better, but I couldn't resist. Since it was 50 degrees today in NJ, I had my SRT out for the first time in over a week. All of the melting snow, however, created a lot of spray. After a 30 minute drive, my car needed a wash. It is now back in hibernation until the roads are DRY. :(

·
Registered
978 Posts
You buy a car to DRIVE it, plain and simple.

They are made to be driven in the winter (heated seats, ESP, etc) and are actually not bad in snowy conditions (provided you have good tires).

Buying one of these cars only to put it on a pedestal in your garage and rarely touch it is a crime.

After all, in the grand scheme of things, you're NOT driving anything THAT special (like some exotic Lambo or something) its a muscle car for the every-man, let 'er get a little dirty.

Oil spray and/or regular car washes should keep your car from rotting to bits if you're that concerned.

If I only wanted to LOOK at a Challenger, I would make it my desktop wallpaper not my CAR!

:werd:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Gotta disagree with that a little. Yes cars are made to be driven but driving a car or truck everyday will eventually lead to damage. I'd rather enjoy my "nicer" stuff when I want to but not every day. I appreciate the driving expereince more when I'm treating myself rather than getting mad every time I get caught out in the rain. Since i live down a dirt road and it hardly ever snows here I would rather drive my "beaters" through the mud and keep the newer stuff clean. If you want to drive it everyday go for it :thumbsup:. Eventually there will be a need for parts cars that endured the same.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Drive

Ironside...your opinion is not necessarily that of all..!

Drive it yes..care for it you must..plain and simple it is not....yoda speaks!
A crime never it is to cherish a thing of beauty and power! In the grand scheme of things you know not...the force is strong..you well not so much!!

Have my SRT8 shined, covered and waiting on dry, dust free,rain free clear sunny days to enjoy a magnificent machine...yep I drive my 511 RWHP but I care for it like it is a LAMBO..heck it's better!

er...CHEKM8!!...bubba:bigthumb:

·
Banned
87 Posts
I prefer to put my car away for winter. I want to enjoy it for years to come. My truck is krowned every year and washed all the time. It is in good shape, but you can still see the damage winter in Ontario has done to it. On a side note it did see a FF srt covered in salt the other day and it was kinda sad. Also as some one who has worked in the bodyshop industry i have seen first hand the damage done by winter no matter how well the car has been taken car of.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Dont know what # wash todays was. Over 2 yrs and 40 thou miles with a black daily, dont know if I can count that high. I will say its impossible to wash the paint off, believe me. I cant handle this car with dirt on her so she gets soaped often. Driving home on the pky trying not to get behind a suv was not easy, hate the ones that drive over the line up to the sholder throwin slop all over the place. One thing for sure, the car is a great daily driver. Thumbs up to all the dailys out there.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Have to agree with the one post about driving it during the winter. These cars will not likely be worth anything but LESS each month you own them. You might as well enjoy them, and keep it as clean as you can.

I know, in my case, the reason I'm considering the Challenger over the Camaro is I plan on getting rid of both our Altima and Mustang GT if I buy a Challenger. I feel it's just that good of a daily driver and sports car that it fills the bill for both.

That said, as a previous owner of SEVERAL black cars, they are a tremendous PIA to keep looking nice any time of the year, and are near impossible during the winter if you live anywhere near snow and ice.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Why feel bad when they are being used in accords to their purpose?

I love to see these cars being used as daily drivers in all types of weather.
same here but I still run mine through an indoor wash once a week.

·
Banned
197 Posts
I can afford only one decent car. I chose the Challenger. Therefore, it is my daily driver in rain, snow, or sun. By some standards, since I cannot afford two so that the Challenger can be put away and protected, I should not have the Challenger at all. Sorry, but that's bull.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I can afford only one decent car. I chose the Challenger. Therefore, it is my daily driver in rain, snow, or sun. By some standards, since I cannot afford two so that the Challenger can be put away and protected, I should not have the Challenger at all. Sorry, but that's bull.
IMO I don't think that's the big problem. I saw a SE down here the other day that was beat to death and you could tell the owner didn't care what it looked like. You can have a daily driver and keep it up. It will get dirty but you don't have to neglect it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
IMO I don't think that's the big problem. I saw a SE down here the other day that was beat to death and you could tell the owner didn't care what it looked like. You can have a daily driver and keep it up. It will get dirty but you don't have to neglect it.
Agree 100%.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I try to drive mine in the winter at least once a week for a nice long ride and clean it up after if it gets dirty.
Been lucky this winter and past winter as very little snow has fallen in this part of Ontario.
Long ago I had a car I used to put away for the winter which had nothing but problems mechanically after winter storage.Might of been the car not the storage though but vowed never to leave a car dormant that long again.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Theresa we know you love your car :bigthumb:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I love it that so many people are out driving these hot rods in all kinds of weather. Very hard not to take mine out everyday, but that is why I have a beater truck.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
While I agree that I hate mine to get dirty, I'd much rather get the enjoyment out of getting it dirty than leave it parked for 3 or 4 months waiting for dry, salt free pavement. That's why I've had mine rustproofed and undercoated, to at least protect it from the exposure. The longest she's sat since I brought her home was 2 days and that lack of driving it was too long. Sure it's fun to sit and look at, but I'm not going to deny myself the pleasure of being behind the wheel, using it as it was intended to be used. I take some pride in mine being one of the few muscle cars I see on the road daily.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Odds are, most of us won't be keeping them long enough to see real damage from the salt anyway, and I feel like if I buy a car, I'm going to drive it, and not worry about salt and it getting wet. I went through my "never driving it in winter" bit about 20 years ago. It was pointless.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just got back from a visit to Toledo and I know I'd feel bad about letting my car get too much exposure to the winter elements. I'm just thankful that it's not much of a consideration here. I had the car out today for a 100 mile "spin", and didn't have any clean-up after the drive. But, each owner should do what they want with their own vehicle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine gets driven. It handled last week's snow and ice without any trouble. Last night, rain and fog through the mountains. This car is rock solid stable under all sorts of road and climate conditions. It's a dodge. It does its job well and looks good doing it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts