Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just waiting in the parking lot for the wife to return from grocery shopping. My intake temp went through the roof over the course of 20 minutes with a 67 degree difference over ambient. Driving on the highway it averages around 9 degrees over. At 40mph it's 13 degrees over. I should have my LMI True CAI in a couple weeks and I think that'll add a bit of power with these high temps.

Fortunately the car remained cool and is not overheating while waiting.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
If you were sitting still with the A/C on, that IAT read (while stinkin' hot) is really not unusual. It's the radiator fan baking your intake equipment with very hot air from the radiator...think of it as essentially a forced convection oven. They cook food really well, right?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it's an oven for sure. I'll run some tests once I get the CAI installed. Curious to see how it handles the extreme heats here. I've done two 0-60 runs so far and my best is 4.8. But it was 110 and I had the A/C going lol. With cooler temps and better rubber, it should make a big difference.

If you were sitting still with the A/C on, that IAT read (while stinkin' hot) is really not unusual. It's the radiator fan baking your intake equipment with very hot air from the radiator...think of it as essentially a forced convection oven. They cook food really well, right?

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Saw similar thing - going in crawling traffic (SPS model) and the ambient got to 100* and IAT rose to 168* (highest I've seen), but once rolling constantly, IATs dropped quickly. They'd settled at 7* over ambient in those temps (low 100*s).

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Saw similar thing - going in crawling traffic (SPS model) and the ambient got to 100* and IAT rose to 168* (highest I've seen), but once rolling constantly, IATs dropped quickly. They'd settled at 7* over ambient in those temps (low 100*s).

Part of the problem imo is that tube from the shaker lays right on the intake with virtually no gap at all and conducts the engine heat really well unless were moving a lot air through that tube...the head light mod helps get the temp down a touch quicker imo...Get more out side air through the filter...so helps a little at least...150 ish is as high as Ive seen in mid 90s so far...

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Part of the problem imo is that tube from the shaker lays right on the intake with virtually no gap at all and conducts the engine heat really well unless were moving a lot air through that tube...the head light mod helps get the temp down a touch quicker imo...Get more out side air through the filter...so helps a little at least...150 ish is as high as Ive seen in mid 90s so far...
I have the HC Air Catcher mod on the SPS as well. Prior high was ~ 148* last year, but I think the temp was a bit higher and for more of the drive that in the past. Being in motion is when you're going to see any advantage, since being still is going to pick up the hot air wash from radiator, engine and exhaust that's all around the car.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I should have my LMI True CAI in a couple weeks and I think that'll add a bit of power with these high temps.
I wouldn't count on that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I read, 10 degrees lower intake temp equals about 10 horsepower. LMI dyno showed around 10hp increase for the true CAI. The videos I've watched show the LMI runs 1-2 degrees above ambient while driving, and cools down almost instantly once you start going. My car is running around 13 degrees above ambient at 40mph, and 10 degrees above at 65 mph. I think people like me in hot places will see more gains from it. Once I get it I'll get some proof.

My coolant temps are maxing out at 210 with it being 112 out.

I wouldn't count on that.

·
Registered
631 Posts
From what I read, 10 degrees lower intake temp equals about 10 horsepower.
Yea no that's not true.

First rule in modding is take everything a manufacture says with a grain of salt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts