Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's Challenger doesn't have a jack. I want to buy him a "good" one...was thinking a hydraulic bottle jack. Something that is light enough to have in his car. I am stuck due to having no idea how much lift is required to be able to change a tire.

Googling didn't give me any information, and the local Dodge dealer's service department doesn't respond to messages.

Any informed thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
293 Posts
Check out ModernSpare. They sell entire kits (w/ or w/o spare tire)...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. My son actually wants a light weight hydraulic jack, that he can keep in his trunk, rather than the scissor type. I just was hoping someone knew what the car required in lifting height to jack it up for a tire change.

·
Registered
15,928 Posts
I'd go with the Modern Spare scissors jack. It's designed for the car and to do tire changes. I wouldn't take a chance on a heavy clumsy bottle jack with a small lifting pad that could slip off, get the right jack.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
293 Posts
The main issue w/ the Challenger is getting a jack to fit under the frame. The jack needs to be "low profile" which is why the scissor style is recommended. There really is not that much lift required.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,887 Posts
You can find inexpensive scissor jacks at Napa or AutoZone that will work. Look on Craigslist and you can find a lot there too. Go scissor.....way more stable.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Bottle jack won’t work, too tall. A rolling hydraulic is fine for tire changes but one should use a jack stand as well.
Also hydraulics are never really “lightweight”.
Make sure the jack and stands are rated at at least 2 tons each.
What I have used for 3 years, no complaints but not exactly lightweight, not something I would keep in my trunk 24/7: https://m.autozone.com/engine-and-v...t-2-25-ton-low-profile-garage-jack/410336_0_0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,146 Posts
Lightweight is relative, and how to secure it in trunk is an issue

Add a lift point pad

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,729 Posts
Bottle jack won’t work, too tall. A rolling hydraulic is fine for tire changes but one should use a jack stand as well.
Also hydraulics are never really “lightweight”.
Make sure the jack and stands are rated at at least 2 tons each.
What I have used for 3 years, no complaints but not exactly lightweight, not something I would keep in my trunk 24/7: https://m.autozone.com/engine-and-v...t-2-25-ton-low-profile-garage-jack/410336_0_0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TO me, the problem with lightweight jacks like that, are the thickness of the side lift arms. I have seen a couple of them bend off to the side, the car didn't fall, but it lowered a bit and jack was ruined, then they had to buy another jack, just to get the car off the collapsed one. They are strong to lift, but not sturdy for side to side. I have always stuck with the huge ones that you almost need another jack, just to pick them up. Oh, and speaking of jacks, when they die, keep the old handle, they can make great cheater pipes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts