Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Jack up one side at a time

9K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  trippytro 
#1 ·
Can I use a jack stand with a pinch weld adapter in the middle of the car to lift one side and then place jack stands, then do the same on the opposite side to get all 4 wheels off the ground? When I tried jacking at each corner, i would get the jack as close to the lift point as possible then slide the jack stand under the point, but doing that didn’t seem to work very well.

#5 ·
please dont.
jack front then rear, get both sides of the front end of the car on stands, then do the rear end.
its generally front to rear, wheels choked, never side to side. asking for disaster from a multitude of ways.

#6 ·
please dont.
jack front then rear, get both sides of the front end of the car on stands, then do the rear end.
its generally front to rear, wheels choked, never side to side. asking for disaster from a multitude of ways.
Where do you position the jack to get the front end up? I know some people use the diff for the rear, which I’m not super comfortable with but I guess if other people do it without problem... but where do you jack the front from?

#10 ·
Gotcha. I misunderstood, thought you were replying to my question about lifting front end. Apparently you’re the only one who lifts the car one side at a time, according to everyone who responded to this thread.
so lifting at the front pinch weld location (just inside) will get the entire side off the ground?

Reactions: MiHiHemi
#11 ·
Normally you don't lift a Challenger by the pinch weld at all, unless you're changing a flat tire and using the car's provided jack which is small enough to avoid bending the rocker cladding. The best and strongest lift points are the black puck-shaped things ahead of the rear wheels, and the unibody frame rails for the front.

Let's suppose you want to get the entire car off the ground and on jack stands. You lift one corner at a time with a jack, place your jack stand and move to the next. Just don't go to the opposite corner next. Do one rear, then the other rear. Then the front. Just never lift by the middle of the pinch weld, or you will fold the car. If you don't know what you're doing or you're unsure, please don't attempt it without experienced help.

#12 · (Edited)
Normally you don't lift a Challenger by the pinch weld at all, unless you're changing a flat tire and using the car's provided jack which is small enough to avoid bending the rocker cladding. The best and strongest lift points are the black puck-shaped things ahead of the rear wheels, and the unibody frame rails for the front.

Let's suppose you want to get the entire car off the ground and on jack stands. You lift one corner at a time with a jack, place your jack stand and move to the next. Just don't go to the opposite corner next. Do one rear, then the other rear. Then the front. Just never lift by the middle of the pinch weld, or you will fold the car. If you don't know what you're doing or you're unsure, please don't attempt it without experienced help.
THIS^ is how I do it as well.
never have lifted a car via pinch weld. yes I know many do. I lift by the craddle up front, one side at a time. then rear side puck on the back or (on the challengers) a center diff lift.
If you lift the rear off the ground 1st, at a certain point the car is only on the front tires with a (forward) shifted center of gravity, which even if chocked, can roll out &/or off chocks or roll on the fronts & jack.
Not a risk I want to take. Ive seen cars fall off jacks, racks and stands. normally not pretty.
I was taught to get the front end up 1st with rear wheels chocked front & back, car in gear/park, e-brake on for any rear wheel drive car, then lift the rear. Never once had a car unintentionally go to the ground on me.
A side to side lift off on all 4, is likley to go very badly with a 4000+ lb car.

#14 ·
You can lift with a standard size floor jack right behind the factory pinch weld in the designated areas front and rear. Then put a stand inboard on the front and right next to the jack in the rear. Front then back.
Picture shows both. Lift at points circled in red then stands where the lift arms are.
Done for years on my challenger and charger...no problems. No need for pinch weld adapters or pucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
As for jack points, IF there is room to get it under, I ALWAYS jack from suspension points, they hold the car up anyway, so no more body flex, and if the jack rub causes rust years later, it is on bolt on parts, not body seams. There are nice jack adapters to spread to 2 points for side jacking. If I was going to put on 4 stands (nothing wrong with that) I would do it end to end, not side to side, if I had room.

Reactions: Mopar Frank
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.