Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I did my first DIY oil change on my Challenger. It took over an hour and a lot of creativity to get the front of the car off the ground... Modified ramps sitting down in the shallow gutter, with stacked dimensional lumber so I could "step" up to the ramps and allow the front low air dam to clear the front lip of the ramps. What a hassle.

I do need to jack it up soon for other work, tire rotations, transmission, etc.

The concave jack points are too small for my low-profile 2 ton jack, and I was lifting the car but bending the plastic molding. No issues getting the jack under, but for some reason they designed the frame to have a small concave point smaller than the lift point on standard floor jacks. Oi Vey. Why? Why would they do this? Apparently I need something that mates into that spot that the jack then connects with?

I think this is what I need but open to experience and suggestions. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...n_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
382 Posts
I would personally avoid using the pinch welds unless you are on the side of the road and you gotta do what you gotta do. The rear on the newer Challengers have pucks permanently installed and sites like this have stuff for sale to install pucks on the front points.

Other than that, you just need to find a set of ramps with the right angle. I have the dollar store Rhino ramps that are already cracking and they work fine. I also have the SXT so my chin is not as low as some. Probably will upgrade to Race Ramps or break down and get a whole vehicle jack when my ramps finally fail and hopefully I do not get crushed to death. Race Ramps has a nice calculator for you to find out what ramps you need.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Oh, I really like the 2x6 idea. I can see some ways to improve upon it. I have lumber on hand.

I looked at the race ramps and laughed out loud. I don't know which size I need but some are in the $300 to $500 range! I'd rather just pay the mechanic to do the work...

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Oh, I really like the 2x6 idea. I can see some ways to improve upon it. I have lumber on hand.
I guess you didn’t read the thread, as they’re 2x12’s.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

I looked at the race ramps and laughed out loud. I don't know which size I need but some are in the $300 to $500 range! I'd rather just pay the mechanic to do the work...
Yep they are overpriced. I’ll pay to not have anyone but me touch the car. Mechanics don’t change the oil. New hire hacks do.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure why the trouble 50 dollar rhino ramps done easy
For my ramps, that work on all other vehicles I have, the angle is too steep and the air dam would hit the front notch on the ramps.

I had to improvise. Some small lumber scraps and a lower ramp on the street, in order to step onto the ramp with less aggressive incline. The dam cleared the ramp by millimetres.

I guess you didn’t read the thread, as they’re 2x12’s.
Oh, I did. I wrote the wrong dimensional. Sorry.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,035 Posts
How about a lift? These are great time savers and you can store/stack cars in your garage. Granted it's a lil bit of $$$, but long run, you will be glad you did!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I don't know why manufacturers insist on using plastic for things like car ramps. :) I bought a set of the RhinoGear ramps, but now I'm reading about them cracking and failing (cars literally dropping). They should have just stayed with steel for car ramps. Plastic has many uses, but apparently, it's not the best idea for car ramps... Now I'm hesitant to even use them.

Has anyone else had any bad experiences with the plastic ramps?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
I don't know why manufacturers insist on using plastic for things like car ramps. :) I bought a set of the RhinoGear ramps, but now I'm reading about them cracking and failing (cars literally dropping). They should have just stayed with steel for car ramps. Plastic has many uses, but apparently, it's not the best idea for car ramps... Now I'm hesitant to even use them.

Has anyone else had any bad experiences with the plastic ramps?
Used plastic Rhino Ramps a number of years with no issues. 'course, I bought them years ago. Quality of today's ramps may not be as good as though of the ones I bought circa 2003/2004 time frame.

Stopped using them some years back though. No place to work on the cars and no time. Easier to drop off the car at the local nearby dealer and get a shuttle ride home and use my 2nd car.

When I have a house I'll buy a portable hydraulic lift. Something to raise the vehicle some sufficient distance off the ground to let me get under it with ease. Won't be high enough to walk under the car but if I'm not cramped for space on a creeper I'm good.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Dewhel pads are nice. The Lift Pad Pros pucks are nice. I use a hockey puck on my jack with either. The Race ramps are good, too. The 4-post lift is great. I have and use all of these for different jobs.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
Anybody have the actual angle in degrees of a ramp that works with a Scat Pack front end?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Anybody have the actual angle in degrees of a ramp that works with a Scat Pack front end?
I measured mine at 6.5" lip height at about 26" from tire contact point. That's a bit over 14 degrees, so anything less than that should work. Different tires, suspensions, etc. will have some effect.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
827 Posts
I use the Quickjack 5000 along with these in front https://www.amazon.com/Potauto-Univ...s=challenger+lift+pucks&qid=1624285955&sr=8-8
and these in back.
No issues at all.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I use the Quickjack 5000 along with these in front https://www.amazon.com/Potauto-Univ...s=challenger+lift+pucks&qid=1624285955&sr=8-8
and these in back.
No issues at all.
Yep, I use the pinch welds each and every time-- they are super strong and designed specifically for lifting.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
I measured mine at 6.5" lip height at about 26" from tire contact point. That's a bit over 14 degrees, so anything less than that should work. Different tires, suspensions, etc. will have some effect.
Thanks, Harbor Freight has some 17° and I suspected they might not work.

Reactions: Byron
1 - 20 of 45 Posts