Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jam nut clock wise shifter counter clock wise even sprayed wd40 which did nothing

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jam nut clock wise shifter counter clock wise even sprayed wd40 which did nothing
Ok, I got nothing then, unless it uses left hand threads.
Yeah, first time I’m stumped on this one. You tubed all the shifter removals and nothing looks like everyone already had it loose before showing install of new shifter balls. Going to have to take it to the dealer and see if they can break it free.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It just takes leverage. I had the exact same issue and felt like I was going to break something. I walked away from it and came back the next day and it finally came loose. King Kong must have put that thing on at the factory! I like the Hurst shifter handle, so it's worth doing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It just takes leverage. I had the exact same issue and felt like I was going to break something. I walked away from it and came back the next day and it finally came loose. King Kong must have put that thing on at the factory! I like the Hurst shifter handle, so it's worth doing.
I was not gentle and you are right King Kong must have put these on. I spent over an hour and a half fighting it. Hell I was so pissed I even broke out a small ratchet handle to use as leverage on the closed end of the wrench and even went as far to use a hammer to try to tap the wrench to break it free with no luck. That is the handle I’m putting on I see a lot of people like it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was not gentle and you are right King Kong must have put these on. I spent over an hour and a half fighting it. Hell I was so pissed I even broke out a small ratchet handle to use as leverage on the closed end of the wrench and even went as far to use a hammer to try to tap the wrench to break it free with no luck. That is the handle I’m putting on I see a lot of people like it.
The You Tube videos are lame. The jamb nut has clearly already been loosened on the one from Hurst. I'm also not sure why he popped the console off? To be useful they should have shown the guy fighting with it. My only suggestion would be to try quick short pulls on the wrench rather than tugging on it. That was the only thing I changed and it finally came free. Good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Took it to the dealer today and he got the SOB jam nut broke free. He even said it was a PIA. He stated most of the M6 and Autos are locked on there tight so be prepared if you decide to switch knobs it’s going to be a SOB to get off. Anyway got the Hurst pistol grip knob on feels pretty good.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts