Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase some JBA headers for my 2013 RTC with a full stage 1 scat pack setup. I know custom tunes are the way to go but will the stage 1 pcm and exhaust net more power then the stock tune? I am in CA so need CARB EO equipment.

I've read to go with the OEM 5.7 gaskets but what about the header bolts should I use the stage 8 bolts? I heard the bolts in these kits are not too good.

Any reasons why I should not do this upgrade?

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,169 Posts
Use new Mopar manifold bolts and gaskets. JBA's shorty headers are CARB compliant. I don't know a thing about the Stage 1 PCM.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
From what I have read about the mopar stage 1 tune is that is just a slight improvement above OEM. There was a guy on the charger forum who had this to say:

"FINALLY! Heard back from Arrow racing! The PCM is not unlocked in a sense that any tuner can tune which means the ad from Mopar is BS! It can be unlocked just like the stock PCM. So that's not the news I was hoping for. The "tune" installed I was told is between them and Mopar but that it "only ads a little timing and tweaks the fuel and mildly changes the shift points. Most of the HP increase comes from the intake and exhaust."

So the Mopar PCM is basicly stock doesn't do as advertised and IMHO is a waste of time and money if you want further tuning abilities after its installed.

Now that I have 2 PCM's I may look into having the original one unlocked so it can be tuned.

Yet another disappointment from Mopar. I really want to love my Charger but God damn they're making it difficult for me!"

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have mentioned I have the stage 1 pcm installed already so i can keep my max care warranty.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
Sorry but I really don't understand (and please don't take this personal because I see this a lot on the forum) the mentallity where people want to do performance mods but are hung up on keeping their warranty? If the warranty is that important then just wait until it expires.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i Guess at the end of the day has anyone with a stage 1 pcm and shorty headers dyno their car to see hp improvements. I had issues with my mustang using custom tunes so I want to stay away from them if possible

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
I have a suspicion that the mopar Stage 1 PCM just uses the engine calibration, or a slightly modified version, already on the manuals (manuals recommended min octane is 91) and tweaks the trans shift points for the autos.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did notice a difference in how the car performed with the stage 1. What got me started on this post was I was looking at the exhaust manifolds and rgb ry look very restrictive.

At the end of the day will thisbe a viable upgrade to the JBA headers?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I am considering shorties my self, just as a stop gap measure to "free up" some horse power until I get enough cash together to get a Cam, Long tubes and a tune. I was thinking the 6.4l manifolds since they are readily available and cheap until I saw the prices for mid pipes then I figured 400 for JBAs or similar Cat Forward is not as bad. Since I would only be running them for hopefully less than a year.
I also wasted my money on a scat pack 1 PCM, should have bought an unlocked one instead and just had the dealer do the throttle relearn but I am nervous about attempting anything myself. (worried I load the tune wrong or something and end up turning the car into a brick).
Plus I can never leave well enough alone and I want HP tuners and I know I will add fuel, add timing, try this try that, let's see what happens if I bump the redline to 7500 rpm, you know that kind of "messing around".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts