Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 2 or 3 weeks ago I installed JBA longtubes and catless mids on my R/T. Did the labor myself with my dad (he actually did most of it...) at his body shop on his lift. First start up the car sounded louder/deeper and sounded a bit more like the classic muscle cars I see at car shows all the time (actually first start up was without the mid pipes connected...just to hear it :bigthumb:).

We were working on the car for approximately 6 hours. No problems with the parts except that the mid pipes were labeled for the wrong sides which caused some initial confusion when attempting to hook them up.

As I expected there is an exhaust smell now. If the smell of exhaust is something that will bother you I absolutely do not recommend catless mids. For me it doesnt bother me, I always smelled that smell at car shows and associated it with fast cool cars. Now my car smells like a fast cool car as well as looking like one.

Car sounds incredible when cruising around town and even better at high RPMs. I had a custom tune written by Johan to take car of the CEL that came on after the install. The combination of the tune, the headers, and the ported TB I installed about a week before the headers make the car run much much stronger. Before it felt as if the car was fighting with me when I would accelerate, as if it didnt really want to go fast. Now when it takes off I feel like Im fighting it to keep it slow :thumbsup: . I have no dyno numbers and dont plan to dyno it for a while (probably after the next big mod I do) and so dont have any actually numbers, butt dyno tells me I may have picked up 20 or so horsepower though. No noticealbe loss of torque in the lower RPMs like I expected after reading all the threads on here about catless mids and longtubes on these modern hemis.

I have a few images of the underside of the car while up on the lift and a shot from the side where you can actually see the headers from outside the car...wasnt expecting that, so it was a nice surprise. Also a shot of the stock exhaust manifolds and the stock midpipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also forgot to mention I purchased them from Marylandspeed.com, they shipped extremely quickly and arrived on time. Very pleased with the transaction. Here are the other pictures I couldnt fit on the first post.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. Did you use the JBA supplied header bolts and gaskets, or something else?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the writeup. Did you use the JBA supplied header bolts and gaskets, or something else?
I used the JBA supplied bolts and gaskets...well most of the bolts...we dropped one into one of the motor mounts when doing some crazy contortionist move to get an arm up to the bolt hole (Never raised the engine as the instructions suggested...) and never recovered it. I went to my local auto parts store and bought a whole new set of header bolts and used one of those in place of the bolt we lost.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Just to add to the JBA header story.

I just installed the JBA Shorties with the help of Natural Disaster Racing (Forum member). After an aborted attempt to use SRT headers, we changed direction and went with the JBAs.

We used SRT header bolts, not the bolts supplied from JBA
On the drivers side we used an SRT gasket, because we had two new ones that I'd bought.
On the passenger side we used the JBA gasket because we didn't want to seal up the EGR hole that is in the header. I know some say it doesn't cause a CEL, but we didn't want the risk.

Same as Ryan, we never raised the engine, or anything like that, just a lot of contorting, liberal use of flexible extensions, and even more liberal use of cursing.

After a week we put the car back on the lift and checked header bolt tightness. Drivers side (SRT gasket) was tight. Passenger side (JBA gasket) several bolts needed an extra tighten.

I was using Solo high flow cats, and the Solo cat-back.

Oh, I think I gained 50HP ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question on the custom tune, do you need that in hand before you do the mod?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for the right up as for the gas smell I have been there done that and I don't want to go back lol so I plan on keeping my cats

1 - 8 of 8 Posts