Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want some JBA long tubes with catless mid pipes, but since I am running with a deleted resonator and muffler I don't want my car to sound like complete shit... JBA shorties with high flow cats a better option? any opinions?

and I love you guys

ok bye

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I have the JBA shorties with the Solo high flow cats, and then the Solo cat-back. It sounds pretty good with very little drone on a 5.7L auto.

Unfortunately I haven't tried to run without the cat-back part, so I can't say how much the Solo muffler and J-pipe thing contributes to the pleasing sound, or if it would sound crap with a straight pipe after the JBA shorties and high flow cats.

You in Houston area? We could experiment, stick your straight pipe after my cats. Might sound good, might sound crapola.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the JBA shorties with the Solo high flow cats, and then the Solo cat-back. It sounds pretty good with very little drone on a 5.7L auto.

Unfortunately I haven't tried to run without the cat-back part, so I can't say how much the Solo muffler and J-pipe thing contributes to the pleasing sound, or if it would sound crap with a straight pipe after the JBA shorties and high flow cats.

You in Houston area? We could experiment, stick your straight pipe after my cats. Might sound good, might sound crapola.
did you need a custom tune after the headers? I am leaning towards shorties with high flow cats then straight pipe after cats.... did you lose any low end torque with the high flow cats? and I love drone haha (im weird)

and sounds like a lot of work bro haha, I live in san Antonio, wbu?!

I have a feeling all straight I would lose a bunch of back end plus not a very good exhaust tone, more like a super lawnmower

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
did you need a custom tune after the headers? I am leaning towards shorties with high flow cats then straight pipe after cats.... did you lose any low end torque with the high flow cats? and I love drone haha (im weird)

and sounds like a lot of work bro haha, I live in san Antonio, wbu?!

I have a feeling all straight I would lose a bunch of back end plus not a very good exhaust tone, more like a super lawnmower
we are opposite, I hate drone with a passion. I just removed my Borla cat-back because of drone. Even the Touring droned too much for me.

Butt dyno does not report any low end torque loss. Tires still squeal easily when pulling away from a stop. I've only had the headers and high flow cats on for a week and I'm trying to resolve a persistent CEL I'm getting from bank 1, only bank 1, so the passenger side seems happy with the set-up. When the CEL is on the butt dyno notices the car acting less responsive, but not when the light is off after tweaking O2 sensors and resetting codes with the Trinity.

Am now thinking about getting a custom tune to optimize the new set-up, running the canned 93 tune from Diablo right now. Wouldn't a custom tune resolve any low end torque loss anyway from the straight pipes? I'm not an expert on tuning, so don't know.

And I'm in Katy, so at least the west side of Houston. If you love drone then I'd go for the long tubes and straight pipe all the way. Why not maximize your chance of drone and make the thing as loud as it can be. Get a tune to minimize any problems with torque loss. ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we are opposite, I hate drone with a passion. I just removed my Borla cat-back because of drone. Even the Touring droned too much for me.

Butt dyno does not report any low end torque loss. Tires still squeal easily when pulling away from a stop. I've only had the headers and high flow cats on for a week and I'm trying to resolve a persistent CEL I'm getting from bank 1, only bank 1, so the passenger side seems happy with the set-up. When the CEL is on the butt dyno notices the car acting less responsive, but not when the light is off after tweaking O2 sensors and resetting codes with the Trinity.

Am now thinking about getting a custom tune to optimize the new set-up, running the canned 93 tune from Diablo right now. Wouldn't a custom tune resolve any low end torque loss anyway from the straight pipes? I'm not an expert on tuning, so don't know.

And I'm in Katy, so at least the west side of Houston. If you love drone then I'd go for the long tubes and straight pipe all the way. Why not maximize your chance of drone and make the thing as loud as it can be. Get a tune to minimize any problems with torque loss. ;)
haha well im a young guy so I like loud, and whenever I pick up girls they think the drone is the "engine" working so whatever haha. and okay great! hmm please explain CEL? and yes bro you need a custom tune for sure, I am running the 93 too but for everything to be perfect and work the best a custom tune is needed. and haha good point but even with a custom tune, your still looking at back pressure lose anndddd I afried it will sound really bad :/ have you heard of a straight piped hemi challenger?? like straight after headers?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have jba longtubes, catless mids, and flowmaster mufflers, no resonators, no low end torque loss that I noticed, car pulls much harder and sounds infinitely better, a little drone around 2k rpms but not bad. Had johan write a custom tune so I have no CEL and am loving this new setup.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have jba longtubes, catless mids, and flowmaster mufflers, no resonators, no low end torque loss that I noticed, car pulls much harder and sounds infinitely better, a little drone around 2k rpms but not bad. Had johan write a custom tune so I have no CEL and am loving this new setup.
hmm great response, thank you. And I think I will go with longtubes and catless mids and complete straight pipe... but I will def. need a custom tune because there is no back pressure lol

(all after I get by speedlogix ram air hood ;)

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
whenever I pick up girls they think the drone is the "engine" working so whatever haha.
I suggest you get the Borla ATAK cat back then. It drones so bad it vibrates the seats. ;)

CEL is Check Engine Light. I'm trying to figure out if I just have a leak, a bad sensor, or just need a tune,any of those could throw a CEL code. Think we might have resolved it this weekend by tightening everything up and fiddling with the O2 sensors. But even if that was the problem a custom tune is still on the table to get the most out of the mods.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am just worried about me beloved back end torque. I don't want to lose it. I really feel that's what gets the car going and I can always use a fouler and tuner to turn those codes off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yaanufs, I've got the solo catback as well but I replaced the mid muffler with their straight x pipe. The j pipes still does its job of keeping out the drone and the system imo sounds 10x better than before. Sorry for the threadjack comment op :eek:

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Yaanufs, I've got the solo catback as well but I replaced the mid muffler with their straight x pipe. The j pipes still does its job of keeping out the drone and the system imo sounds 10x better than before. Sorry for the threadjack comment op :eek:
Sounds intriguing, I'll need to hear it in person before being convinced. I've learned one thing about exhausts, one man's 10x better is another man's nightmare. :laugh:

Since you are in Houston too that should be possible. I'll send a PM

I'm still on the hunt for the "perfect" exhaust sound, whatever that is. I like the Solo for the lack of drone, but I must be honest I also miss the sheer awe inspiring deep toned volume of the Borla ATAK - but not the shocking amount of drone.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
For N/A I would stick with shorties, they will flow plenty.

If you plan on building your motor or going forced induction go with long tubes.

As long as you keep your midpipes catted you should not lose any power.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For N/A I would stick with shorties, they will flow plenty.

If you plan on building your motor or going forced induction go with long tubes.

As long as you keep your midpipes catted you should not lose any power.
I want to do long pipes and catted mid pipe, im just terrified of loseing my low end torque, I love it so much! of course ill free some horses up but I am a torque guy... hmmm

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any other opinions?

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
530 Posts
Got any clips? Did you install minicats for o2s. Tossing these or Shorty's

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Long Tubes will out perform shorties. Its a myth that LT's lose low end. The only downside is that they are twice the price.

Catted midpipes, long tubes and a custom tune and you will be pulling harder than you ever have.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Long Tubes will out perform shorties. Its a myth that LT's lose low end. The only downside is that they are twice the price.

Catted midpipes, long tubes and a custom tune and you will be pulling harder than you ever have.
Thanks for the words man!
I am ordering the LT headers later this month, with the HF cats. and upping my exhaust size from 2.25 to 2.5.

Just steering away from complete straight after headers because I think just a tad bit of backpressure will be healthy... before a custom tune.... I mean, what do you think?!:indifferent:

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
530 Posts
Do you need to buy extension wires for 02's if so where? Do the long tubes give you that old tinny muscle car sound underneath?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you need to buy extension wires for 02's if so where? Do the long tubes give you that old tinny muscle car sound underneath?
Tell you the truth, I really don't know lol. and yes, Headers do increase exhaust note/ sound/ more appealing. And my set up is going to be the headers, glass pack (catted mid pipes) and straight back... gunna be loud! then custom tune by hemifever to pull hardddd

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

even if it is a straight pipe all the way down bro?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts