Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this issue? Trying to look through the tons of installation items posted on here but I am not an expert so I must ask the group. So after install in the rear deck these worked fine with the one up upgrade factory stereo replacing the midrange only paper cone Boston Acrapstics. Then they ring adapter between the rear deck and the speaker warped upward between the 3 rear deck bolts after 2 days do to the heat of the sun I would assume. Now I have that awesome plastic on metal vibration sound. Lovin it. tried being lazy and jamming cardboard under it but that didnt work. is this where you would put the dynamat, between the metal deck and the ring adapter or whats the proper item? I see it on top of that adapter in the postings for rear deck installs. I am having JBL send me out 2 new ring adapters but have no desire to do this install 3 times. Thanks guys for any input.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,501 Posts
I have replaced all the speakers in my Charger with JBL coaxials, but I didn’t use the spacer/adapters that came with them. Just so I’m on the same page, do the adapters you are talking about look like these (disregard the size/shape; I know yours aren’t 6x9s):

EF0A7695-A44A-417A-AB41-9DC1A1BBDB9C.jpeg

C78D180D-7D3B-4868-9ACA-B5D01005EB14.jpeg

A5DED944-1188-4E8C-9805-F0A1F954C73B.jpeg

030275C2-FBF2-46B2-8855-6682FCD973E3.jpeg

If so, I can see where that curious shape could be prone to warping and eventual failure of the seal. Are they absolutely necessary for your rear deck speakers to mount in the factory holes?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have replaced all the speakers in my Charger with JBL coaxials, but I didn’t use the spacer/adapters that came with them. Just so I’m on the same page, do the adapters you are talking about look like these (disregard the size/shape; I know yours aren’t 6x9s):

View attachment 976321

View attachment 976322

View attachment 976323

View attachment 976324

If so, I can see where that curious shape could be prone to warping and eventual failure of the seal. Are they absolutely necessary for your rear deck speakers to mount in the factory holes?
the rear deck side boston acoustics were removed, these JBL have 4 speaker screw in points, which screws into the adapter, the adapter has the 3 points of contact which screws into the rear deck. The speaker is inserted into the adapter ring then to the rear deck. yes unfortunately it is a necessary part. Speakers dont seem wide enough without it. Did you drill more holes in the rear deck?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I think he's talking about the little adapter that converts the 6.5" speaker from 4 mounting holes to the FCA 3-mounting hole system... They are thinner than the spacers for 6x9 speakers and arent' really a spacer at all - just an adapter so you can mount regular aftermarket speakers to the Challenger 3-screw mount on the rear deck. You screw the speaker to the adapter with 4 screws and then attach the adapter to the rear deck with 3 screws. The same thing came with my Infinity Reference 6.5" speakers.

With the Infinitys, the screws they give you to attach the speakers to the brackets are too long and will hit into the rear deck metal, thereby leaving a small gap between the adapter the rear deck metal. I actually had to use a dremel to shorten them and get the adapter to lay flat. I wonder if you didn't get the adapter to lay perfectly flat (by "shortening" the provided screws) and that is what caused the adapters to warp?

JBL and Infinity are both made by Harmon Kardon and are VERY similiar, which is why I wonder if his screws were too long too....

EDIT: Cross-posted. Hard to tell for sure, but it almost looks like you did dremel the screws? Can't understand how the adapter would warp though since it's "sandwhiched" between the speaker and the rear deck pretty tighly (if you dremeled the screws).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think he's talking about the little adapter that converts the 6.5" speaker from 4 mounting holes to the FCA 3-mounting hole system... They are thinner than the spacers for 6x9 speakers and arent' really a spacer at all - just an adapter so you can mount regular aftermarket speakers to the Challenger 3-screw mount on the rear deck. You screw the speaker to the adapter with 4 screws and then attach the adapter to the rear deck with 3 screws. The same thing came with my Infinity Reference 6.5" speakers.

With the Infinitys, the screws they give you to attach the speakers to the brackets are too long and will hit into the rear deck metal, thereby leaving a small gap between the adapter the rear deck metal. I actually had to use a dremel to shorten them and get the adapter to lay flat. I wonder if you didn't get the adapter to lay perfectly flat (by "shortening" the provided screws) and that is what caused the adapters to warp?

JBL and Infinity are both made by Harmon Kardon and are VERY similiar, which is why I wonder if his screws were too long too....

EDIT: Cross-posted. Hard to tell for sure, but it almost looks like you did dremel the screws? Can't understand how the adapter would warp though since it's "sandwhiched" between the speaker and the rear deck pretty tighly (if you dremeled the screws).
Hi there. Yes I saw that problem as I tried the initial install, so I had to cut the screws bottoms off in order to make it fit. What kind of an adapter did infinity supply for your speakers? And yes unfortunately there is now a gap between the rear deck and the adapter ring between the 3 mounting points

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hi there. Yes I saw that problem as I tried the initial install, so I had to cut the screws bottoms off in order to make it fit.
Hmm, interesting. Happen to have a picture of how the adapter rings look now? Or are they still installed I guess? Really curious how they warped.

When I insalled mine, I put felt tape on the bottom of the adapters, so that there could be no metal-on-plastic vibrations). I've learned to do that with every speaker install - just helps avoid those vibration sound issues. I wonder if some of the screws loosened up or something?

Kind of hard to say without seeing them. I would definitely invest in some felt tape (or foam tape) for future installs though (can get it on amazon) - one side has adhesive and the other side is felt. It's like 1/16" thick or so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm, interesting. Happen to have a picture of how the adapter rings look now? Or are they still installed I guess? Really curious how they warped.

When I insalled mine, I put felt tape on the bottom of the adapters, so that there could be no metal-on-plastic vibrations). I've learned to do that with every speaker install - just helps avoid those vibration sound issues. I wonder if some of the screws loosened up or something?

Kind of hard to say without seeing them. I would definitely invest in some felt tape (or foam tape) for future installs though (can get it on amazon) - one side has adhesive and the other side is felt. It's like 1/16" thick or so.
its been like 98 degrees daily in NJ and I dont have the rear deck cover on yet so I am assuming the sun is the culprit. looks like I will go out and get some of the tape you are talking about, there is so much of a gap now I was trying to put cardboard between the gaps to no avail. yes still installed in the car. All of the screws I secured with the bolt strength loctite and attempted a tightening as well. Always afraid the screws will back out from vibrations. I appreciate the tips gentlemen

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
looks like I will go out and get some of the tape you are talking about, there is so much of a gap now I was trying to put cardboard between the gaps to no avail. yes still installed in the car. All of the screws I secured with the bolt strength loctite and attempted a tightening as well. Always afraid the screws will back out from vibrations
Aha! Now I see what’s going on. You are trying to win this year’s competition for “Most Ingenious Jerry-Rig”, aren’t you?!? I have news for you, I’m a formidable opponent in that contest. Check out my “Jacked Up” jerry rig thread from a couple years back in the Off-Topic section if you don’t believe me.

In all seriousness though, your situation is not what I was thinking, so my initial thoughts on a fix aren’t relevant. I have 6x9s in rear deck from factory, so they have 4 screw holes, although they didn’t line up with JBL replacements very well. I had to drill out the speaker’s bolt holes to get them to line up actually.

I have 5.25” Focals back there now, but I used a 6x9 to 5.25/6.5 adapter plate to get those to work, which all worked quite well surprisingly.

None of that helps you though. Honestly, my next attempt at a fix, if it were my car, would be to just fashion some adapters myself out of 1/2” MDF (or 3/8” if available). Using the current adapter as the template for the hole to cut, you could reduce the hole’s diameter by 1/4” or whatever is necessary to make a tight fit with speaker basket, and screw the speaker into it. Then screwing the adapter and speaker unit into deck should mate them up well enough to prevent any vibration and such.

Reactions: Blacktop Edition

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
its been like 98 degrees daily in NJ and I dont have the rear deck cover on yet so I am assuming the sun is the culprit. looks like I will go out and get some of the tape you are talking about, there is so much of a gap now I was trying to put cardboard between the gaps to no avail. yes still installed in the car. All of the screws I secured with the bolt strength loctite and attempted a tightening as well. Always afraid the screws will back out from vibrations. I appreciate the tips gentlemen
View attachment 976331
Ahh... So you left the rear deck cover off since installing the new speakers? If that is the case, maybe that is the problem. The rear deck cover probably normally stops the direct sunlight hitting the speakers. Still strange that they warped considering the amount of downward pressure put on the adapters from the speaker basket itself. But then again, direct sunlight can be extremely damaging, so who knows! No idea why car manufacturers have to do things like 3-screw speaker mounting to begin with when every other speaker in the world mounts with 4 screws!!!!

You probably won't have the issue again if you install the rear deck cover after installation, but I would still recommend the felt tape on the bottom of the adapters regardless. Here is the exact item I purchased last for this task:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDRRNE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased the 3/4" wide by 75 ft. version. I use this stuff a lot in the car - anywhere plastic and metal can meet up and cause vibrations. I also use it on certain parts of the door panels (like the ~1" wide piece of plastic at the end of the door panels - it too vibrates - especially when the doors are open). You'll find lots of uses for it.

By the way - I applaud your efforts of doing anything car-related outside in the past few days! I'm in PA and I can't even go into my garage for over 1 minute without getting soaking wet in sweat!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aha! Now I see what’s going on. You are trying to win this year’s competition for “Most Ingenious Jerry-Rig”, aren’t you?!? I have news for you, I’m a formidable opponent in that contest. Check out my “Jacked Up” jerry rig thread from a couple years back in the Off-Topic section if you don’t believe me.

In all seriousness though, your situation is not what I was thinking, so my initial thoughts on a fix aren’t relevant. I have 6x9s in rear deck from factory, so they have 4 screw holes, although they didn’t line up with JBL replacements very well. I had to drill out the speaker’s bolt holes to get them to line up actually.

I have 5.25” Focals back there now, but I used a 6x9 to 5.25/6.5 adapter plate to get those to work, which all worked quite well surprisingly.

None of that helps you though. Honestly, my next attempt at a fix, if it were my car, would be to just fashion some adapters myself out of 1/2” MDF (or 3/8” if available). Using the current adapter as the template for the hole to cut, you could reduce the hole’s diameter by 1/4” or whatever is necessary to make a tight fit with speaker basket, and screw the speaker into it. Then screwing the adapter and speaker unit into deck should mate them up well enough to prevent any vibration and such.
Yea that was a frustration I dont want to unscrew it all again attempt while sweating up a storm in the back of my car lol. Thanks for the input on the adapter, I was wondering about that as well

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh... So you left the rear deck cover off since installing the new speakers? If that is the case, maybe that is the problem. The rear deck cover probably normally stops the direct sunlight hitting the speakers. Still strange that they warped considering the amount of downward pressure put on the adapters from the speaker basket itself. But then again, direct sunlight can be extremely damaging, so who knows! No idea why car manufacturers have to do things like 3-screw speaker mounting to begin with when every other speaker in the world mounts with 4 screws!!!!

You probably won't have the issue again if you install the rear deck cover after installation, but I would still recommend the felt tape on the bottom of the adapters regardless. Here is the exact item I purchased last for this task:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDRRNE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased the 3/4" wide by 75 ft. version. I use this stuff a lot in the car - anywhere plastic and metal can meet up and cause vibrations. I also use it on certain parts of the door panels (like the ~1" wide piece of plastic at the end of the door panels - it too vibrates - especially when the doors are open). You'll find lots of uses for it.

By the way - I applaud your efforts of doing anything car-related outside in the past few days! I'm in PA and I can't even go into my garage for over 1 minute without getting soaking wet in sweat!
Thank you for the link as I was just searching Amazon, I will purchase immediately. If i continue to have issues Ill try the suggestion below about creating my own adapter rings. JBL also sending me new plastic (why plastic) adapter rings, so when I get all together I will do the install and immediately put the rear deck lid back on without securing and try for a few days . And yes it was about 4 days ago, in my garage with no fan and no AC, nice and hot, never again lol

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Yea that was a frustration I dont want to unscrew it all again attempt while sweating up a storm in the back of my car lol. Thanks for the input on the adapter, I was wondering about that as well
I wonder if these universal mounting brackets might do the trick:

In looking at the manual for them, they seem to cover almost all the bases for possible mounting surfaces:

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Dup post...enternate iz hrd

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if these universal mounting brackets might do the trick:

In looking at the manual for them, they seem to cover almost all the bases for possible mounting surfaces:
outstanding, thank you, saved the link, you all gave me excellent suggestions to try.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Dup post

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Thank you for the link as I was just searching Amazon, I will purchase immediately. If i continue to have issues Ill try the suggestion below about creating my own adapter rings. JBL also sending me new plastic (why plastic) adapter rings, so when I get all together I will do the install and immediately put the rear deck lid back on without securing and try for a few days . And yes it was about 4 days ago, in my garage with no fan and no AC, nice and hot, never again lol
Hold the phone, you live up north though! I thought the one saving grace y’all had over us down here was the lack of oven-like temps during summer months? Something doesn’t compute...

If y’all are going to be the new South up there, then that doesn’t bode well for us in the current South down here. The temps are already intolerable during summer here...I guess we have insanity-inducing temps to look forward to down here in the future??

Either way, you can take some solace in knowing you’re not alone in your suffering at least. This poor schlub apparently likes to suffer the same sort of self-torture for his music too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hold the phone, you live up north though! I thought the one saving grace y’all had over us down here was the lack of oven-like temps during summer months? Something doesn’t compute...

If y’all are going to be the new South up there, then that doesn’t bode well for us in the current South down here. The temps are already intolerable during summer here...I guess we have insanity-inducing temps to look forward to down here in the future??

Either way, you can take some solace in knowing you’re not alone in your suffering at least. This poor schlub apparently likes to suffer the same sort of self-torture for his music too.
Lol. Central NJ. Heat index at the NJ shore was around 110. 98 degrees again where I live. Definately not messing with anything in the car till it cools down. Now its 8:02pm and 95 degrees on my patio.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Excessive heat does strange things to the mind, I know. I've seen it...I've experienced it...I've lived it.

I'm going to attach some pictures, but I will let you interpret them as you wish. I think the situation is pretty evident in the shots, even if the device's ultimate success/failure is not.

I will say that after many iterations of internal coolant configuration, i found the optimal setup and received the desired results. However the operating environment proved too extreme and the project was abandoned due to the unsustainable economics of keeping it running with fresh coolant.

WP_20190712_20_45_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20190711_21_34_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20190711_21_54_17_Pro.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Blacktop Edition

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess one last question for you all, I wasnt going to put the JBL plastic speaker grills on as I figure more plastic more chances to vibrate. Or will the rear deck touch the speakers without the grill? What do you guys do?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts