Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am considering purchasing a 2017 Jeep Renegade for commuting.

My local dealer has barebones Renegades 4x4 6speed for $13k~ (MSRP $21k).

I plan to keep it for a couple of years, maybe more depending on how it behaves.

Questions:

This seems like too good deal for a new car, is there something I should be weary of?

Does anyone have any experiences with these vehicles?

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I have a 2015 Renegade Trailhawk and like it a lot. There really isn't anything that I don't like about the Renegade. It is one of the few vehicles out there these days that has headlights where they are supposed to be -- in the front and not part way on the side of the fenders like so many of the Asian imports.

I traded my 2009 R/T for it in April 2015 (I already had the Scat Pack for six months and didn't need two Challengers). There have been many reports of "bad" 2015 Renegades but mine has been fine. 2016+ years have had fewer problems.

Drive it and make sure you like everything about it; that's a good price. Turn on all the buttons and switches to make sure everything works the way it should.

The 1.4T engine doesn't have a lot of power, but it is adequate if you keep the rpm's up. I wanted the Trailhawk which only comes with the 2.4 NA engine mated to the 9-speed automatic. If I could have purchased the 2.4 with the manual I would have.

With careful driving, I can get over 30 mpg on the highway @ 55 mph on level roads. Reports from others who drive mostly in city traffic or lots of hills post mileage closer to 20 mpg or less.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
I have a 2015 Renegade Trailhawk and like it a lot. There really isn't anything that I don't like about the Renegade. It is one of the few vehicles out there these days that has headlights where they are supposed to be -- in the front and not part way on the side of the fenders like so many of the Asian imports.

I traded my 2009 R/T for it in April 2015 (I already had the Scat Pack for six months and didn't need two Challengers). There have been many reports of "bad" 2015 Renegades but mine has been fine. 2016+ years have had fewer problems.

Drive it and make sure you like everything about it; that's a good price. Turn on all the buttons and switches to make sure everything works the way it should.

The 1.4T engine doesn't have a lot of power, but it is adequate if you keep the rpm's up. I wanted the Trailhawk which only comes with the 2.4 NA engine mated to the 9-speed automatic. If I could have purchased the 2.4 with the manual I would have.

With careful driving, I can get over 30 mpg on the highway @ 55 mph on level roads. Reports from others who drive mostly in city traffic or lots of hills post mileage closer to 20 mpg or less.
BW, a related, unrelated question. How do you like the 9speed transmission, and have you had any trouble with it? I just put a deposit on a new Compass with the same drivetrain. I'm kind of worried as I see lots of complaints on the net.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 with the 1.4 6-speed manual.

I traded mine in with about 15000 miles on it, did not have one issue with it.
As bwbike pointed out that it doesn't have a ton of power, but I disagree with that. The 1.4 turbo has more torque than the 2.4 NA engine. It doesn't have a ton of power under 3k RPM's but it's nothing that you would notice while daily driving. I always averaged over 31 MPG, and it does require or recommend premium gas for the 1.4 turbo engine.

The only thing I'd make sure of, is that it comes with Air Conditioning. Those lower end Renegades usually don't have AC on them. If you don't use AC, then it's a non-issue.

Outside of that, it was a pretty fun little vehicle. I traded mine in because of a knee issue I have. I just couldn't drive it (or any other manual transmission) anymore without pain so I'll be driving an automatic for now on.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had a 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 with the 1.4 6-speed manual.

I traded mine in with about 15000 miles on it, did not have one issue with it.
As bwbike pointed out that it doesn't have a ton of power, but I disagree with that. The 1.4 turbo has more torque than the 2.4 NA engine. It doesn't have a ton of power under 3k RPM's but it's nothing that you would notice while daily driving. I always averaged over 31 MPG, and it does require or recommend premium gas for the 1.4 turbo engine.

The only thing I'd make sure of, is that it comes with Air Conditioning. Those lower end Renegades usually don't have AC on them. If you don't use AC, then it's a non-issue.

Outside of that, it was a pretty fun little vehicle. I traded mine in because of a knee issue I have. I just couldn't drive it (or any other manual transmission) anymore without pain so I'll be driving an automatic for now on.
There are cars that come without A/C nowadays?

Bugger me, now I have to check...

EDIT: What's Quick Order Package 21A include?

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
BW, a related, unrelated question. How do you like the 9speed transmission, and have you had any trouble with it? I just put a deposit on a new Compass with the same drivetrain. I'm kind of worried as I see lots of complaints on the net.
You have to be careful with complaints on the net. For every complaint, there are likely thousands of trouble-free Jeeps that do not get reported on the net (no reason for them to complain about a good car). I had no trouble with the 9-speed auto. I have a little over 15,000 miles on mine. I don't put that many miles on it because I have the Challenger and a motorcycle that I ride a lot in the nicer weather but it has been trouble free so far.

I don't like automatic transmissions in general. I got the auto because the Trailhawk only comes with the auto (and the 2.4 engine). I wanted the 7" TFT display between the speedo & tach the Trailhawk had (not available in the Sport or Lattitude). Plus I liked the look of the tow hooks and some other Trailhawk unique things.

Back the transmission. The 9-speed is just a bit different than what you may be used to in an automatic. Most of the gear shifts are simple clutch types like most autos. But the 4 to 5 shift and the 7 to 8 shift both use a dog-type clutch and that exhibits a different, more abrupt behavior. That and the software controlling the transmission makes it "feel" a little different but certainly not problematic. Some reports of a bad transmission may only be because they are not expecting it to shift the way it does. I got used to it quickly and don't mind it at all (for an automatic).

Some have reported slow downshifts while passing. I don't drive the Jeep that hard so I don't notice this. I often select manual mode depending on the grade since I don't like it to auto-shift down three gears and suddenly go to 4,200+ rpm to maintain my cruise control speed on a steep hill. The 4 cylinder whiney sound just doesn't please my ears like my 392 Hemi. If you don't drive like you're in a hurry, you might not notice anything different. For a steep hill, I may manually shift one or two gears and stick the gas pedal; problem solved, speed maintained, and no high-rpm whiney noise.

I wouldn't worry about your new Compass. Maybe you should test drive a similar one now just to see what it is like. The new Jeeps are generally nice vehicles. Note that though the Renegade is built in Italy, the 2.4L engine & 9-speed transmission are built in the good old U.S.A. and shipped to Italy to mate with the Renegade (at least that was true in 2015).

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
You have to be careful with complaints on the net. For every complaint, there are likely thousands of trouble-free Jeeps that do not get reported on the net (no reason for them to complain about a good car). I had no trouble with the 9-speed auto. I have a little over 15,000 miles on mine. I don't put that many miles on it because I have the Challenger and a motorcycle that I ride a lot in the nicer weather but it has been trouble free so far.

I don't like automatic transmissions in general. I got the auto because the Trailhawk only comes with the auto (and the 2.4 engine). I wanted the 7" TFT display between the speedo & tach the Trailhawk had (not available in the Sport or Lattitude). Plus I liked the look of the tow hooks and some other Trailhawk unique things.

Back the transmission. The 9-speed is just a bit different than what you may be used to in an automatic. Most of the gear shifts are simple clutch types like most autos. But the 4 to 5 shift and the 7 to 8 shift both use a dog-type clutch and that exhibits a different, more abrupt behavior. That and the software controlling the transmission makes it "feel" a little different but certainly not problematic. Some reports of a bad transmission may only be because they are not expecting it to shift the way it does. I got used to it quickly and don't mind it at all (for an automatic).

Some have reported slow downshifts while passing. I don't drive the Jeep that hard so I don't notice this. I often select manual mode depending on the grade since I don't like it to auto-shift down three gears and suddenly go to 4,200+ rpm to maintain my cruise control speed on a steep hill. The 4 cylinder whiney sound just doesn't please my ears like my 392 Hemi. If you don't drive like you're in a hurry, you might not notice anything different. For a steep hill, I may manually shift one or two gears and stick the gas pedal; problem solved, speed maintained, and no high-rpm whiney noise.

I wouldn't worry about your new Compass. Maybe you should test drive a similar one now just to see what it is like. The new Jeeps are generally nice vehicles. Note that though the Renegade is built in Italy, the 2.4L engine & 9-speed transmission are built in the good old U.S.A. and shipped to Italy to mate with the Renegade (at least that was true in 2015).
Thanks for the review and the advice. My problem is I read to many reviews, and the press hasn't been known to give the 9 speed a favorable assessment . I did drive a similar Compass, but wasnt given the opportunity to try it on highway. I'm sure it will be fine for what I need it for. Thanks again. Enjoy that Trailhawk.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, no A/C, so no deal.

Guaranteed someone ****ed up that order and the reason they're so cheap is because no one would want to buy a car with no A/C in California heat.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I didn't think they made passenger cars without ac in this country anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts