Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so... i already installed my diablo tune. love it. i've decided to buy the jet 180 degree t-stat as well so it's on order

bear with me and this may seem stupid but how much horsepower does or will this t-stat have once installed in the car? i realize that it's designed to keep the engine at a consistent lower temp than stock to make the air dense thus increasing horsepower but i was just wondering how much.

basically my plan is to use my diablo sport tuner to revert the car back to stock tune. install the t-stat then re-tune the car with the tuner back to 93 perf tune + changing the fan settings.

i plan on setting the low fan settings to 189 and the med/high to 194.

any input on this setup or what you guys think or just any general info would be really helpful since i'm kinda a newbie.

09 r/t classic b5 blue auto

·
Banned
368 Posts
Just installed the jet 180 Wednesday....I am running same tune. Interested to hear feedback. I think it helps more with heat soak than an overall gain in hp. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
This will only assist in heat disipation -- no gains in horsepower. This modification only provides your engine's perfomance to degrade at a lesser degree the longer you use it. For me, temps stay around 180-192 (instead of 220-230) depending on the day and there was a defininte show in maintaining perfomance throughout a long day.

·
Registered
389 Posts
This will only assist in heat disipation -- no gains in horsepower. This modification only provides your engine's perfomance to degrade at a lesser degree the longer you use it. For me, temps stay around 180-192 (instead of 220-230) depending on the day and there was a defininte show in maintaining perfomance throughout a long day.
What Proximo said. Your engine will run cooler, thus reducing power degradation from higher heat conditions, vice any HP gain. It was 101 degrees with high humidity as I drove home today. Engine temp was around 190 even sitting at stop lights for a while. Plenty of power all day even while running the AC.

As to putting the stock tune back on before installing the 180 t-stat, no need. Just install it, then go in with the Predator and reset the fans. Use the "modify tune" menu - there is a sub-menu just for resetting the fans.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks guys. that pretty much clears it up. seems like a worth while mod for any r/t or srt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts