Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 4 and 1/2 years and ~36k miles my water pump took a crap. I was going WOT on the interstate 60-100mph with the a/c on full blast on a 90+ degree day. I knew something was weird when the a/c started blowing hot and then shortly thereafter I started getting a chime and check engine light on the dash that read coolant over heating...it read 270F. So I limped it a couple miles to an exit and parked it safely, temp stayed at 265-270 for about 5 minutes until I could get the car off.

Called my dealership who told me to Call Chrysler Cares for a tow, they actually had a truck there within an hour and towed it for free and then my dealer repaired it all under warranty! So yeah I’m the original owner and my 5-year/100k mile power train warranty still gets it done! Car seems happy again, it never got like a bad hot where the coolants steaming or burnt rubber smell when it overheated when I had to drive it for a few minutes. Kinda glad it did crap out at a time it’s still covered because I know it’s a pretty common thing for our cars...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was/am worried about hitting those temps too, will have to monitor.

Luckily, like I said, the car honestly didn't seem too hot after I pulled over and popped the hood. It didn't smell burnt or overly hot or anything...thankfully.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric, I hate to tell you, but the water pump isn't your biggest problem.
Going WOT and only reaching 60-100 mph is.
LOL, well it was just a few second blast to get around some people ;)

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
It is ridiculous that we have to put up with these early water pump failures. FCA really needs to take a hard look at the pump design and make it more robust.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
It is ridiculous that we have to put up with these early water pump failures. FCA really needs to take a hard look at the pump design and make it more robust.
At least they did with the Cummins Diesel Ram water pumps (T51 Recall). Really hope the Hemis are next in line to get this addressed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your power train warranty covered the water pump? Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but as someone with a 15 and out of regular warranty this interests me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Those were recalled due to the consequent fire hazard, not because of pump failures per se.
There’s always a Gator1 electric water pump.............. >:)

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
Is there a handshake or something?

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
-Groucho Marx
A Guy

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your power train warranty covered the water pump? Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but as someone with a 15 and out of regular warranty this interests me.
Don't all 2015s come with a 5yr/100k mile warranty? Mine did, it's on the window sticker. I am the original owner, perhaps that makes a difference?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Are these any better than the Factory replacement ones? I am thinking of picking one up next time I am at Summit to keep on my shelf, just in case. And if my oem one would fail under warranty and I showed up at the dealership would they install this one if I gave it to them? Never mind, just checked fitment, says it does not fit a stock 2015 Challenger....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-1476mc

·
Registered
975 Posts
Dammit. Another thing for me to watch for in my 2015. I too have the same warranty thankfully but after dealing with the radiator failure issue, I'm not looking forward to a potential water pump failure too.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Dammit. Another thing for me to watch for in my 2015. I too have the same warranty thankfully but after dealing with the radiator failure issue, I'm not looking forward to a potential water pump failure too.
My concern is, is the junk they are putting on any better than the junk that they are replacing, or is it all the same junk from the same manufacturer?

·
Registered
975 Posts
My concern is, is the junk they are putting on any better than the junk that they are replacing, or is it all the same junk from the same manufacturer?

That was my exact thought when I found the seams split on my radiator. My dealer told me that the replacement radiator was sourced from the new supplier, not the old one. My hope is that I don't run into the sub par water pump club.

If you find out the answer to the parts source for water pumps, please update this thread. From what I understand, like many parts, there were several suppliers for the 2015 model year. I hope that I won the water pump lottery and don't have to deal with this in the next few thousand miles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts