Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have the JFB, what part number or part name did you use? The have hundreds of exhaust products - was it a system or just a muffler?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,607 Posts
Jones Full Boar part number

Those of you that have the JFB, what part number or part name did you use? The have hundreds of exhaust products - was it a system or just a muffler?
Just a muffler...a dual-in/dual-out muffler with 2.25" pipes.

FB4554 is the part# from Jones Exhaust website(see 'F' at bottom of page):
Performance Exhaust Systems

I ordered mine from Summit, which uses part# JEX-FB4554:
Jones Full Boar Flow Deflector Performance Mufflers FB4554 - SummitRacing.com

All this is assuming you are talking about the 2011+ exhaust. For 2010 and below, they will have 2.5" exhaust, and it is set up a little differently, so it requires a different muffler and installation procedure.

Nuke

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

All this is assuming you are talking about the 2011+ exhaust. For 2010 and below, they will have 2.5" exhaust, and it is set up a little differently, so it requires a different muffler and installation procedure.

Nuke[/QUOTE

Thanks. So this muffler replaces the two mid mufflers - is it a direct fit or do you have to replace other piping?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,607 Posts
Thanks. So this muffler replaces the two mid mufflers - is it a direct fit or do you have to replace other piping?
It's a direct fit in that the muffler shop will cut the two exhaust pipes coming out of the x-pipe and weld the muffler in place for them to empty into. But then they will have to add extra piping to connect to the output pipes on the muffler so that the exhaust is routed out the back of the car in the same place as it was before being cut (and resonators being removed as a result).

I believe they can reuse some of what they cut off, but they may be able to just weld in pre-bent pipe easier if they have some laying around which will fit.

Check out this post for a visual reference of what I am referring to (it's actually a 2010 SE, so it's not exactly like yours, but that is explained in the post):
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/whats-good-muffler-89893/index2.html#post1229215

Also, it took me two tries to find an exhaust shop that would install the muffler on my car. The first place told me they didn't want to do it because the drive shaft would travel up and down too much and make contact with the muffler.

Based on what I can see up under there, vertical movement by the drive shaft is going to be very limited, if any at all. So I took it somewhere else to have it done. The second place was wiling to do as I had asked, though they kept pointing out clearance could be an issue.

I have not had any clearance issues with mine, and I have put a year's worth of miles on it since being done (@2500 miles/month). I have not drug it once or heard it make contact with the driveshaft once; so if they do it right, you shouldn't have any problems.

Nuke

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,607 Posts

Nuke[/QUOTE

The short answer to your question is "no", it is not a direct fit.

You are going from a true dual exhaust system with each side having it's own muffler and resonator to a pseudo-dual exhaust system where the muffler is shared between the two sides but each side has its own exhaust pipe post-muffler, exiting the rear of the car.

But it is a fairly straightforward mod for any competent exhaust shop, so in that sense, yes it is a direct fit.

Nuke

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,607 Posts
Pics after installation

Just remembered I had some pics of mine from back of car:

568.jpg

569.jpg

570.jpg

If you look under your car now, you will see two separate pipes and mufflers (in front of differential) coming back toward the back bumper where the resonators are (not visible in those pics), but after the muffler is installed, it will look like it does in those pics.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - great info. So I guess this is a similar idea to the Solo in that the muffler is one unit with dual in and dual out, and straight piping back to the tips - the difference is the Solo is a complete unit, and has the added J-pipes.

How would you describe the sound, and any drone issues?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,607 Posts
Sound Clip of Jones Full Boar

Here's a sound clip I just recorded by placing my phone on the garage door behind my car and cranking it up:
View attachment NukesJFB.zip

I had to leave it in its original format recorded by my phone (*.amr) to keep the zip file under the upload size restriction. You'll need something like VideoLan or some other multimedia player to play it probably.

If you cannot open it, I have an *.mp3 version I can try PMing or posting somewhere public so you can download and listen.

Compared to the sound profile these cars come with from the factory, the sound the Jones Full Boar muffler puts out is night and day different...for the better, much better!

As for drone, I think there is probably some, but I honestly do not mind it and have never been bothered by it...I just know others have said they thought they detected some drone at mid-rpms sometimes.

Nuke

Update:
I managed to get the bitrate down low enough to produce an MP3 and MP4 version of the sound clip that could still be uploaded in the post, so you should be able to play one of them at least even if you have nothing but barebones windows media player on Windows XP or something...but their quality is BAD, lots of sound artifacts that shouldn't be in there...anyway, you should still be able to get the idea of what the new sound will be like though:
View attachment NukesJFB_lowQualityMP3.zip
View attachment NukesJFB_lowQualityMP4.zip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts