Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to thank Steve & Solo Performance for their R&D on this kit. I will give an initial review & will follow up as needed. I took a couple of pics & videos, but neither do the system justice so I will probably not post them.

Customer service wise, I only talked to Steve once. He took my call (on a Sunday) and answered all of my questions so I placed the order that day. He told me that it would not go out until Tuesday due to the holiday so I should see it Friday. It showed up before noon. What else could I ask for.

The system came in two boxes, securely wrapped & with all hardware required for simple installation.

I felt that the instructions received by e-mail were adequate as it is a very simple install. I would say that anyone that changes their own oil in this car should be able to install the kit. It took me just over 2 hours, but a good portion of that was spent talking to & drinking beers with my buddy that just happened to pull up as I was getting started. He ended up coming back to help me when it came time to align everything & tighten all of the clamps. It can easily be done alone, but it definitely helped having him stand back & tell me which way to shift stuff.

The system has a great tone at idle & during revs. I went for a short drive and ran it through all RPMs in all gears (auto stick) and had no drone whatsoever.

Driving with the windows up is PERFECT with a nice deep growl. Driving with the windows down didn't sound as good, but it was extremely windy here tonight & may of had something to do with it.

Overall it doesn't seem quite as loud as I was expecting, but about a zillion times better than stock. I guess I will have to let somebody drive it so I can hear it from a distance. Wish me luck.

Only two negative things that I can think of.
1. Still has the high RPM "rasp" that I think all hemis have just before shifting at WOT or while reving the engine in park or neutral.
2. Could just be my car, the rear valance or my stock tips, but the passenger side pipe appears to be about 1/4" shorter than the drivers & no matter how much I try, I can't get the tips to match perfectly. Even my wife noticed which really bummed me out. It is not as noticible w/ the car on the ground, but when in the air it jumps out at you. If it continues to bother me, I will address it later.

FYI, with my scientific bathroom scale, my stock system weighed 73.6 lbs & the Solo was 58.6 lbs.

I am going on a road trip tomorrow, so if we take the Challenger I will probably have some more poop for you on Sunday. If not I will keep you updated.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
First I would like to thank Steve & Solo Performance for their R&D on this kit. I will give an initial review & will follow up as needed. I took a couple of pics & videos, but neither do the system justice so I will probably not post them.

Customer service wise, I only talked to Steve once. He took my call (on a Sunday) and answered all of my questions so I placed the order that day. He told me that it would not go out until Tuesday due to the holiday so I should see it Friday. It showed up before noon. What else could I ask for.

The system came in two boxes, securely wrapped & with all hardware required for simple installation.

I felt that the instructions received by e-mail were adequate as it is a very simple install. I would say that anyone that changes their own oil in this car should be able to install the kit. It took me just over 2 hours, but a good portion of that was spent talking to & drinking beers with my buddy that just happened to pull up as I was getting started. He ended up coming back to help me when it came time to align everything & tighten all of the clamps. It can easily be done alone, but it definitely helped having him stand back & tell me which way to shift stuff.

The system has a great tone at idle & during revs. I went for a short drive and ran it through all RPMs in all gears (auto stick) and had no drone whatsoever.

Driving with the windows up is PERFECT with a nice deep growl. Driving with the windows down didn't sound as good, but it was extremely windy here tonight & may of had something to do with it.

Overall it doesn't seem quite as loud as I was expecting, but about a zillion times better than stock. I guess I will have to let somebody drive it so I can hear it from a distance. Wish me luck.

Only two negative things that I can think of.
1. Still has the high RPM "rasp" that I think all hemis have just before shifting at WOT or while reving the engine in park or neutral.
2. Could just be my car, the rear valance or my stock tips, but the passenger side pipe appears to be about 1/4" shorter than the drivers & no matter how much I try, I can't get the tips to match perfectly. Even my wife noticed which really bummed me out. It is not as noticible w/ the car on the ground, but when in the air it jumps out at you. If it continues to bother me, I will address it later.

FYI, with my scientific bathroom scale, my stock system weighed 73.6 lbs & the Solo was 58.6 lbs.

I am going on a road trip tomorrow, so if we take the Challenger I will probably have some more poop for you on Sunday. If not I will keep you updated.
Hello,
Thanks so much for the feedback and I am glad that the kit installed smoothly. Here are some suggestions for you to address your tip alignment. The installation of the front section is very important in tip alignment. Make sure the pipes are "bottomed out" on both sides. It is very important that the front go on even for the back to fit perfectly. Loosen up the clamps, hold the tips in place, and then re-tighten slowly on each side, moving from side to side until they are both evenly tight. It's a lot easier to do up on a lift, but it can be done successfully on the ground.

Thanks for the weight information...that is good for customers to know.

Also, the exhaust will smooth out over the break-in period. After about 500 miles, we always recommend that everything be tightened again. Initial heating on the new kit causes expansion, and that can loosen things slightly over the first 500 miles. As carbon builds up inside the pipes, the exhaust sound will smooth out even more:) Thanks for supporting SOLO and I hope your exhaust brings years of enjoyment and smiles.

Steve

·
Registered
464 Posts
Killtime, a couple comments for you.

1. You really need to let someone do a WOT drive by of your car for you and then you'll know just how loud it really is! It's not SLP loudmouth loud but it is steps louder than my old Corsa Extreme...and deeper sounding as well.

2. It is a natural trait of the Hemi to have that "rasp" or as I like to call it "crackle". It's what makes 'em jump out the way when we are on the throttle. LOL! The balance of the "rasp/crack" and deepness of the Solo is what the Corsa was missing in my estimation. The Corsa was all about the higher notes and not enough deepness. I think you made the best choice for your car so feel good about that.

3. Thanks for the info on the weight! Great to know that!

Tony

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will keep this short because I am on an iPad drinking beers at the hotel.

I just drove about 225 miles and am totally impressed with the exhaust. Definitely loud enough with the windows up or down. I tried the whole way to make it drone and couldn't. At 70 mph, in high gear, with slight acceleration it acts like it wants to, but I could,t make it.

Back to customer service. While I was driving, Jeff from Solo called me to address the length issue. He states that up to 1/2" difference is normal. I will let it ride for a while and see what I think after tightening everything again. If needed, I will probably just have one lengthened or shortened. I did get the impression that they would correct it if I requested.

Anyway, let me get back to drinking. I will post more after my return trip.

If anybody is waiting, don't. I think this kit is already under priced, but is an absolute steal with the group buy.

Doyle

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have put about 250 more miles on it & I could be crazy, but it seems to be sounding better & better as the miles rack up.

I played around a lot more in the (almost) trouble spot that I mentioned in my last post & here is what I found.

In high gear, at 70mph if you apply slight throttle it starts to get louder & louder like it wants to drone, then clears up right about 80mph without ever droning or resonating. If you apply less throttle or more throttle, it isn't noticable.

I do have a CAI & Predator tune so maybe I will adjust the j-pipes out by 1/2" and see what happens. As of right now though, I am not even sure that it is worth the trouble of putting it the air again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts