Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4000 miles on my 2013 Challenger. Two weeks ago the water pump went out. Went out this morning and there's oil under the car. Weird green color. Jacked up the side and whoa. The strut is leaking like a sieve. Now I have to lose another day of work and the car to get it repaired. I'm thinking I may have gotten a lemon and it's time to bail. Any thoughts? Am I being paranoid? I really don't expect to have a brand new car serviced this often. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
I understand not wanting to go get service but these items are one time repairs and not something repetitive that they can't find a fix. I'd hold off bailing for a while. If it was an electrical gremlin and kept you going back then it would be different.
Hopefully this is your last repair.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
The two accessories that failed are not indicative of the car having been badly assembled. Dodges not being a high-end make I personally have low expectations when it comes to its suppliers and the more prepared you are the better you take the hits. At this point I'd personally fix those issues, be grateful that they showed up early while the warranty is in full effect and move on. Too soon to write the car off if it's otherwise making you happy.

And trust me, I had a Charger that spent its first year in and out of the shop so I know all about the loss in time and unexpected expenses due to even warranty repairs. Not to mention the trust in the car. Eventually you have to decide whether it's time to cut your losses, and you're not there yet. What you saw happens on better cars and there is no way to get a 100% trouble-free one; no matter what they say all they can promise you for sure is warranty coverage, not 0% failure rate.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Mechanical issues are not "that bad" in my book to deal with. If you had electrical issues though that is another story because that can go on forever.

Your call ultimately, and I totally get it is frustrating and you just want to drive and enjoy your car. Just my thought is, as long as it is warranty covered and the dealership is being good with you, just keep working through the process.

Repeat issues are another matter too. For example if you these leaks continue from the same problem area you just had fixed...that would tick me off. But again if it is being fixed, that's why you have a warranty :)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I know that when I buy a new car I don't expect to have to go right back to the dealer to fix things. I buy new in great part for the peace of mind. But that's wishful thinking because things can fail or they can be assembled poorly, and this can show up early (like driving home). So a couple of issues may shake your confidence, but what you do then is ask around to get some perspective, which is what you're doing now.
The fanboys and apologists will be no help, but listen to those who have owned several of these cars and have driven them a lot - they'll know what's acceptable and what's the sign of a lemon. I vote 'stick with it'. :)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
electrical gremlins

Yes, seen oil actually dripping off the lower control arm, he may have failed to say it was on the left or right side of the vehicle.

Agreed, to early to look about getting out yet.
Yes, on electrical Gremlins :flame:, thats all I seem to get anymore.

>>>Any specifics on the electrical gremlins? Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The strut is definitely bad. Blown out of the top and leaking green fluid. My guess is that there is about 5 milliliters on the floor in the garage after an overnight park. I took the car, dropped it off yesterday. They called today and said the passenger side strut had blown. No kidding. They had to order it and it should be here tomorrow. We'll see. He said they have to realign it after doing this work. Great. I see another problem coming down the road. Interesting side story though. When I saw oil, I thought engine. I checked it and it was exactly one quart low. Damn! The dealer shorted me a quart on the last oil change (last month!) and I've be driving it like that. They argued with me at the dealership and said they use 7 quarts for hemis and that my dipstick is probably wrong. To prove it, he changed the oil again and made sure 7 quarts were used. He called today and said he was wrong and he apologized profusely. I really hate the dealership. All dealerships. These guys could give a rat's ass about your car. I will be changing the oil myself from now on. Shame on me for not checking it immediately!

As far as the problems. My wife and I decided to trade it if one more significant warranty item occurred within this calendar year. Then I'll dump it like a turd. Thanks for all the advice. It's good to hear.

Reactions: salvy59
1 - 13 of 13 Posts