Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is just a rant about an aftermarket product I recently installed. I purchased the K&N 63 Series for my 2013 RT 6spd Chally. Now, I will preface this with sayingthat I did not purchase this for any performance gains, I know if any, they are minimal. What I did purchase this for was #1..Looks and #2...Sound. As far as the looks go, there are way to many clamps for my liking. I guess that might be personal but too many for me. Then comes the sound, which i have none of. I was hoping for that deep intake noise when you punch it, but I get none of that. It is basically the same sound as before. anyway, rant over.:cursin:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
So this is just a rant about an aftermarket product I recently installed. I purchased the K&N 63 Series for my 2013 RT 6spd Chally. Now, I will preface this with sayingthat I did not purchase this for any performance gains, I know if any, they are minimal. What I did purchase this for was #1..Looks and #2...Sound. As far as the looks go, there are way to many clamps for my liking. I guess that might be personal but too many for me. Then comes the sound, which i have none of. I was hoping for that deep intake noise when you punch it, but I get none of that. It is basically the same sound as before. anyway, rant over.:cursin:
I have installed the same CAI but also installed shorty headers and the Corsa Xtreme cat-back at the same time and the car sounds incredibly better than stock.I would not think that just the K&N by itself would generate that intake or exhaust note you may be searching for considering how restrictive the 5.7L Hemi stock exhaust manifolds & exhaust are.

When I removed the stock exhaust manifolds from my R/T and held them in my hands,I stared at them and asked the question,...Why?

·
Registered
489 Posts
When I removed the stock exhaust manifolds from my R/T and held them in my hands,I stared at them and asked the question,...Why?
one of the many things to make the SRT look $15,000 better on paper.

the bonus is that for us RT guys, little mods go a LONG way. so i see it as a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i rather have an R/T than SRT any day :) ... well.... if its the hellcat then ... haha i rather have the kitty instead lol. But i like the old school name of R/T ... i wished they would have done the SRT and badged it as an R/T ..anyway now with the new R/T 392 it kinds of takes it to that wonderful place of the old school R/T meaning badass

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
610 Posts
K&N intake

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
"When I removed the stock exhaust manifolds from my R/T and held them in my hands,I stared at them and asked the question,...Why?"

The device collects the exhaust gases from four cylinders and routes them to a single exhaust pipe, which is less expensive that running four pipes to the back of the car (x2 for the other side of the engine), not to mention the weight savings. Besides, only one of the four exhaust ports expels gases at a time.

So, that's why there is an exhaust manifold.

j/k

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,428 Posts
and regarding on the K&N i got the same one.. i did notice... my car faster and more powerful with stock intake and stock air filter.. but i had to buy it because someone sold me a catch can without letting me know i needed an intake.. nice business trick.
Why would you need a specialized intake to install a catch can?

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,554 Posts
Reach behind the upper intake and remove the big foam plug (3"-4" dia)....you get a little more hemi tick but more, deeper engine sound!! There is a flat one straight down from that one in the lower intake but i haven't removed that one yet.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i rather have an R/T than SRT any day ... well.... if its the hellcat then ... haha i rather have the kitty instead lol. But i like the old school name of R/T ... i wished they would have done the SRT and badged it as an R/T ..anyway now with the new R/T 392 it kinds of takes it to that wonderful place of the old school R/T meaning badass

>>>see they made a Big mistake with the SRT in previous years lol SRT Hellcat! anything else with out the Hell cat name is a Big waste for the 2015 lol leave it up to Dodge lmfao

FACT: R/T is a icon when it comes to Challengers!!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
i rather have an R/T than SRT any day ... well.... if its the hellcat then ... haha i rather have the kitty instead lol. But i like the old school name of R/T ... i wished they would have done the SRT and badged it as an R/T ..anyway now with the new R/T 392 it kinds of takes it to that wonderful place of the old school R/T meaning badass

>>>see they made a Big mistake with the SRT in previous years lol SRT Hellcat! anything else with out the Hell cat name is a Big waste for the 2015 lol leave it up to Dodge lmfao

FACT: R/T is a icon when it comes to Challengers!!!

and I do agree R/T is an ICON! now Hellcat will become an ICON and SRT will be always associated with the neon SRT4

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
well the reason i bought the intake is because i have a 2013 which has an intake silencer, thus not allowing the catch can to be installed.

>> Why did you change the intake manifold?
here is a pic of my catch can and stock manifold i have

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
well the reason i bought the intake is because i have a 2013 which has an intake silencer, thus not allowing the catch can to be installed.

>> Why did you change the intake manifold?
here is a pic of my catch can and stock manifold i have

thats a 2013 engine bay... you have an older model ..you guys got lucky!

·
Registered
610 Posts
all the new ones come with silencers.. to meet epa or who knows what stupid regulation.

afterwards

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I replaced the silencer with the 6.1 air duct then installed my catch can

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
All R/Ts since 2009 came with the silenced air tube. All you had to do was order a fender mount for your catch can, or you could have purchased a 5.7 non silenced tube off a Charger.

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hey Locko, what miles do you have on your car? I was wondering if you have the functional air vents? reasons why I ask is because I see alot of dust on your coil packs plus valve covers... I was debating to get the functional air vents but i said to my self air is dirty and oily why force air into my engine compartment when i really need some sort of air extraction to cool my engine compartment instead, make sense?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey Locko, what miles do you have on your car? I was wondering if you have the functional air vents? reasons why I ask is because I see alot of dust on your coil packs plus valve covers... I was debating to get the functional air vents but i said to my self air is dirty and oily why force air into my engine compartment when i really need some sort of air extraction to cool my engine compartment instead, make sense?
I have 12k miles of long road trips in all kind of roads (dirt roads.. high altitud..pikes peak..sand.. beach..) my car is my roadtrip car. It has the functional hood scoops and i do think they collect dust like crazy and i dont see no win situation.. my temps are fine.. either way in 104 degrees (outside temp) i have never clean the engine, the pic you see its from when the car had 6k miles i just came back from pikes peak. but nowdays it looks way more dirty lol i did had the cover on when i drove to those places (no catch can installed or intake.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts