Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Is it worth modding a SXT?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new here, and new to muscle cars in general. I have always been obsessed since I was a little kid but just recently was able to afford one, and have a few questions that I hope I can get answered before my trade-in time is up.

I bought a 2018 Challenger SXT, and I have 3 days left to decide if I am going to keep it or if I want to upgrade.

Here is where I am at.

I am already at my max cap for my monthly car payment and insurance. (But could eat raman if I upgraded, and maybe figure it out. Less shopping.)
I am going to be using this car as an everyday driver, so I am worried about upgrading to R/T for the gas consumption.
I want to make some mods on the car, but is it worthless to mod on the SXT? Or can I still have a little fun and make it faster? Fast enough that it's worth it?

I really can't afford to upgrade the car, but I also don't want to buy a car that isn't worth having just to look nice.

Sorry if I used the wrong terms, I am new.

Thanks all,
Alanna :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Here's my advice. Keep the SXT since it's all you can afford and don't mod it. If you are living paycheck to paycheck you would be better off banking whatever you can afford and in a few years if your financial situation has changed then you could think of upgrading.

·
Registered
983 Posts
^^^ This. Insurance is already expensive with the SXT. I've seen a few trade-ins because the Challenger is an "expensive" car overall. 305hp is plenty to have fun with. And I say fun without getting into trouble. When gas is $4 a gallon, you'll still want to be able to drive your Challenger DD to and from work.

If you are looking at a 3rd car in the household, then Hemi please.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Based on budget. Just keep the sxt for a few years. No sense in killing yourself to make the car payment.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, that's what everyone keeps telling me. But i'm not young lol. It's always been wait a few years I don't have much years of my "youth" left. I actually have cheap insurance considering what it could be. Full coverage and all the extras for $130 a month? But I also have my SUV on there that's paid off so it's $147 a month for insurance. But yeah this a big jump for me.

Regardless, I think I will keep it. It's been lots of fun so far, I LOVE IT!

Any recommendations on how to make it sound a little more rumbly when I accelerate?

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,214 Posts
I agree..you will be far less happy making a hard payment on a car you cant really afford (stretched budget), then on one you like and can afford.
I would not mod, in fact, resale value will lay in not modding and keeping it as nice as possible. Keep the maintenence up and dont skimp on important stuff like oil changes, brakes, etc.
Down the road, if your $$ allows it, you can always upgrade. many of us have.
If you do it smartly and take care of your SXT, you wont loose any $$ and enjoy the ride along the way.
Congrats on your new SXT btw! :)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,629 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Alanna ;) I have to make it unanimous...you're already maxed out, and the SXT is a great car. And honestly...not everyone gets to have everything they want ;)

A Guy

Reactions: SRT8outtaLA

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another vote for keeping the sxt. Taking everything into consideration, sxt made the most sense when I decided on my purchase. The only upgrade I've done has been a catback exhaust and that's about it. So far i see no reason for "needing" performance upgrades; plenty of horses for a daily driver and weekend spirited getaways. If I get to a point where I can afford a weekend only fun ride, then I'll look at a 392.

·
Registered
2019 SXT AWD
15 Posts
Get yourself a Pedal Commander. Won't do anything for exhaust sound or HP but make a huge difference in the feel of the car. Depending on the setting you have it at makes her really get up and go.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
You can't really do any performance upgrades to the 3.6 other than to supercharge it. My advice is to keep enjoying it as it is.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
13 Posts
I own a 2012 SXT, it's my first Challenger so I can't say you should go straight to the R/T. So far, I find the Pentastar to be a good engine and it's not as powerful as a Hemi but it does have some pickup to it. If you only use your Challenger for daily driving the SXT is the better choice but if you want to race the car, the Hemi should be your option since performance mods for the Pentastar is limited . It's all up to you, if you like it keep it, if not then upgrade.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,294 Posts
I was at drag strip last summer and I have anT/A 5.7 A8 and ran a guy with a sxt 3.6 he ran1second behind not too shabby

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am new here, and new to muscle cars in general. I have always been obsessed since I was a little kid but just recently was able to afford one, and have a few questions that I hope I can get answered before my trade-in time is up.

I bought a 2018 Challenger SXT, and I have 3 days left to decide if I am going to keep it or if I want to upgrade.

Here is where I am at.

I am already at my max cap for my monthly car payment and insurance. (But could eat raman if I upgraded, and maybe figure it out. Less shopping.)
I am going to be using this car as an everyday driver, so I am worried about upgrading to R/T for the gas consumption.
I want to make some mods on the car, but is it worthless to mod on the SXT? Or can I still have a little fun and make it faster? Fast enough that it's worth it?

I really can't afford to upgrade the car, but I also don't want to buy a car that isn't worth having just to look nice.

Sorry if I used the wrong terms, I am new.

Thanks all,
Alanna :)
SXT is a really nice car, it’s what you can afford, drive it with a big smile! In a few years you can trade up if you want to. Like someone said 300+ horsepower is plenty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Common sense here. You can’t afford it. Sell the SXT too. Drive around your paid for SUV. Bank the money. Get your emergency fund in order. Then pay cash for your next Challenger. “Eat Ramen, maybe figure it out, worried about Gas” ?? Jeez..

·
Super Moderator
14,416 Posts
I would just enjoy what you have. The performance of the 3.6 SXT is comparable to that of many of the classic musclecars.

·
Registered
2018 PCP Challenger Scat Pack w/dynamics
147 Posts
Yeah just stick with the sxt for now, or if possible, get a used r/t. I was in a similar dilemma as you. Could have purchased the hellcat or fully loaded scat pack. Went with the scat pack and it’s plenty beastly, and when the time comes, I can purchase the hellcat without worry. One major hiccup with maintenance could really screw up your finances. Play it safe, the wait will be well worth it.

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
Common sense here. You can’t afford it. Sell the SXT too. Drive around your paid for SUV. Bank the money. Get your emergency fund in order. Then pay cash for your next Challenger. “Eat Ramen, maybe figure it out, worried about Gas” ?? Jeez..
Just to drive a certain model car? Raman isn’t good to eat often and She will get fat and be miserable. I love when people toss around their premium prices, the low price has equally poor coverage, my brother got hit by one of those and had to have his underinsured motorist cover the difference plus gets screwed out of a diminished value settlement so he’s hosed when he wants to sell it. Some drive here in NJ on $1 a day coverage which is just enough to be legal enough to be on the street.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts