Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As stated in the title, just bought my first muscle car--a 2017 R/T Shaker M6--in TorRed. Excited to get into the car and into the community. I'm also interested in getting into some tuning/performance upgrades. As a rookie when it comes to being my own mechanic, I'd love some recommendations on good starter projects to get me familiar with the car and comfortable working on my new baby.

Thanks in advance, and happy to be here.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,310 Posts
To Tune and get more HP the PCM has to be Replaced / Unlocked for a 2015 and up Challenger. Since yours is a 2017 gotta watch Performance Mods because of the Warranty.
So with that those are the first two hurdles needing to be addressed. As far as Trim and Body Mods etc., that is going to be of personal taste.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To Tune and get more HP the PCM has to be Replaced / Unlocked for a 2015 and up Challenger. Since yours is a 2017 gotta watch Performance Mods because of the Warranty.
So with that those are the first two hurdles needing to be addressed. As far as Trim and Body Mods etc., that is going to be of personal taste.
Thanks for the insight, Wm. I'm not too interested in trim/body mods currently, as I'm pretty happy with the details added by the Shaker package. But, the considerations of the warranty and the heftier upgrades are good points. Appreciate the assist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the tire recs, Oregon. Definitely going to be driving the hell out of it once I take delivery tomorrow; VERY excited :D

Thanks, Mopar! I know I'll be enjoying it!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
My recommendation is use the money for gas and keep it on the road as much as possible. I have enjoyed my Shaker, and I am sure you will enjoy yours.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrats on your new Shaker. My Shaker has the Mopar Cat Back Performance Exhaust installed and makes for a slightly aggressive sound. I feel the 5.7 has enough power for my liking. One thing that is a very noticeable upgrade in the handling characteristics on these cars is front strut tower bracing (specific for shaker) and rear shock tower braces. Pettys Garage has very good ones. Plus the rear shock tower brace looks badass when you open your trunk. Add a fire extinguisher to the roll bar. Looks sweet. Mopar Hoods pins also look really good with the Shaker package.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Maybe swap in a better shifter. Barton would probably be the top choice.

I know MGW was working on a shifter for the Challenger back before Covid hit. Don't know what ever came of it.

Reactions: Unicorn

·
Registered
2018 TA 392 M6; F8 Green
136 Posts
IMO - the best mod would be to get a better sounding exhaust. These are muscle cars and they should sound like them, too! For some reason, Mustang has always had the better factory exhaust, even on much smaller engines! You can run the gamut for sound and cost. Small budget but want big sound: muffler and/or midi delete or the bullet mufflers. Or you can drop over a grand on some kind of cat-back system. I once paid around $1200 for the Corsa Extreme system. Great sound!

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Barton for the win. Wash lots and get to know it, U will love it more that way...............

Get some REAL oil in there also, Mopar SRT oil filter and PZ oil is the general goto to protect the engine when play hard.

Other will chime in on current place to by the filters............

BTW

Welcome from the THREE Hemi Owner

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Hi all,

As stated in the title, just bought my first muscle car--a 2017 R/T Shaker M6--in TorRed. Excited to get into the car and into the community. I'm also interested in getting into some tuning/performance upgrades. As a rookie when it comes to being my own mechanic, I'd love some recommendations on good starter projects to get me familiar with the car and comfortable working on my new baby.

Thanks in advance, and happy to be here.
Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the Forum from Alabama. Pics please!!!!! Love that TorRed! ;) Oh, and the M6!

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions! I'll definitely be spending a lot of time with the new girl to get a feel for her and what I may like to look at for upgrades in the future.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Remove the clutch delay valve there are several how to posts on ere it is easy to do. the hardest thing is jacking the car up on stands. If you are near Dayton Ohio you could stop by and use my lift. I already have had two co-workers bring their Challengers over one for an oil change and we pulled the clutch delay valve at the same time. The other just after he bought a 2013 used so he could track down a small oil leak. under the car turned out to be at the rear of the intake gasket on the driver's side. My dad has used it to do a brake job on his 1959 Oldsmobile that he put a 455 Olds engine in.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) The 2017s have active exhaust valve exhaust, and sound really good. Don't change the exhaust until you have time to decide if you want different sound

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Remove the clutch delay valve there are several how to posts on ere it is easy to do. the hardest thing is jacking the car up on stands. If you are near Dayton Ohio you could stop by and use my lift. I already have had two co-workers bring their Challengers over one for an oil change and we pulled the clutch delay valve at the same time. The other just after he bought a 2013 used so he could track down a small oil leak. under the car turned out to be at the rear of the intake gasket on the driver's side. My dad has used it to do a brake job on his 1959 Oldsmobile that he put a 455 Olds engine in. View attachment 1019981 View attachment 1019982
I am considering removing the CDV on my Scat as well. Can you post what difference (if any) it made to you. Thanks.

Welcome to Challengertalk ;) The 2017s have active exhaust valve exhaust, and sound really good. Don't change the exhaust until you have time to decide if you want different sound

A Guy
Yes, I was unexpectedly happy with the sound of my Scat's exhaust but only in Track mode. I think it's because the valves stay open in this mode(?)

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
587 Posts
I am considering removing the CDV on my Scat as well. Can you post what difference (if any) it made to you. Thanks.

Yes, I was unexpectedly happy with the sound of my Scat's exhaust but only in Track mode. I think it's because the valves stay open in this mode(?)
I think they stay open in Sport Mode too, but they're definitely wide open in Track Mode.

One of our top local speed shops told me if I want to convert to E85 on my 2021 I can get 50 hp for about $2300, but that (at least in Michigan) the winter E85 is unpredictable. I won't drive it in the winter but I don't want to tie myself to E85 so it's not for me, but it's about the cheapest horsepower increase I've heard of for the buck. Also voids the warranty.

A throttle body throttle body plus porting intake/heads won't get you much horsepower without adding a cam and a custom tune, which will void any remaining warranty and is a much more expensive way to pick up 50 or 60 hp. I may go that way after the warranty is up. You could probably get away with porting stock heads and the stock intake, and I don't think a throttle body will void warranty, but that will apparently only net about 25 hp without a cam and tune so it's expensive without much return.

It seems like with the modern Mopar engines, anything more than a handful of HP from minor mods is going to be big bucks and a voided warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I think they stay open in Sport Mode too, but they're definitely wide open in Track Mode.
Thanks Raisin'. I haven't tried that yet but definitely will. Yeah, I was sure I could hear a difference in Track mode. It's awesome! :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts