Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
so I just bought a challenger srt8 I got it for cheap and it’s clear the previous owner has done a lot of stupid stuff to it. One thing I wanted to know and see if any of you could help me out. My challenger has a 5 speed and I know the factory is a 6 speed. Does this raise any issues ? I wanted to get it replaced with a tr6060 but I can’t find it anywhere. Additionally I wanted a Barton short throw, obviously I can’t buy it since the car is a 5 speed instead of the 6. Any suggestions ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts
Welcome from California ;) You mean it has an automatic? Are you certain it came with a 6 speed? That would be quite a change for someone to make? You can put your VIN# in this site and get your Build Sheet, and possibly your Window Sticker

A 5 speed automatic was an option on a 2012 SRT8

A Guy

Reactions: theblaisez24

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried using that website but nothing came up. Yeah it’s a 5 speeds and reverse and the reverse goes to the far right corner upwards

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts
Hmmm, never seen that pattern, not that I'm an expert on manual transmissions, can you post some pictures?

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts
Hmmm, odd. Hopefully an expert can say which transmission has that pattern. The car came with a 6 speed? I've rarely seen a cars Build Sheet not come up on that site. The Window Sticker yes after a few years

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts
If the car is running, driving, shifting fine, the swap itself is done well, then it's just a major oddity. Even if it came with a 6 speed, and it somehow failed, to swap in a 5 speed...the mind boggles

If it was an automatic, and the owner wanted a manual, it's still odd unless they had a 5 speed already, and the skills to swap...

I just don't know. Have you eyeballed the transmission, driveshaft, rear end? Not sure if anyone could identify by the pan bolt pattern, etc.

A Guy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the car is running, driving, shifting fine, the swap itself is done well, then it's just a major oddity. Even if it came with a 6 speed, and it somehow failed, to swap in a 5 speed...the mind boggles

If it was an automatic, and the owner wanted a manual, it's still odd unless they had a 5 speed already, and the skills to swap...

I just don't know. Have you eyeballed the transmission, driveshaft, rear end? Not sure if anyone could identify by the pan bolt pattern, etc.

A Guy
Haven’t gone under to take a look at the transmission honestly

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

A Guy
Do you think switching back to 6 would be worth it ? Saw the transmission on eBay for 1800

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
129 Posts
This is the Challenger pattern, at slow speeds, it is very hard to shift into 5th, and at high speeds, reverse is locked out. Take it for a drive and try shifting in this pattern.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only problem is where 5th is supposed to be is where reverse is. I could give it a shot though I know sometimes to put in 5th at neutral it doesn’t work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts