Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup Guys I Have A Question???
How Do I Wire My"2" 12's Type R "2Ohm"Subwoofer With My New 2000 Watt Hifonics Brutus Amp
I Tried Hooking Up The Sub The Original Way (+-) terminals To Each Other Without Cross Wiring Them And They Don't Hit Hard At All. Any Suggestions? Thanks.

@DJPiezo

·
Registered
955 Posts
Here's a guide to wiring woofers in series or parallel: Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer WiringWizard

However, I'm guessing your problem has to do with the signal source. Where are you getting a signal for your Hifonics amp? You're probably tapping a speaker that doesn't receive the bass signal. In other words, the source you tapped is high pass filtered. You probably need to tap the front doors to get a bass signal, unless you had a sub in the factory system. In that case, you'd tape the factory sub's wiring.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Tapped Into My Rear 5 1/2 Alpine Speakers.Before this setup I had An Alpine Mrx 650 Amplifer & 2 12 Mtx Audio 5510 Subwoofers And They Had Bass In Those subs.

@DJPiezo

·
Registered
955 Posts
Where are the 5.5s getting their signal? A factory amplifier or directly from a head unit?

Is the gain adjusted properly on the new amplifier? They usually ship them with the gain all the way down to prevent accidentally blowing a newly installed sub system. Check your settings on the amp. A high pass filter (HPF) or subsonic filter being set too high, or the gain being set to low will cause no bass.

Pictures might help if you can get some and upload them. On a new install, it's usually something not quite connected right or some dial not quite set right. Double check your wiring. Double check your settings.

With two dual 2 ohm voice coils your options with wiring are .5, 2, or 8 ohms. .5 will cause your amp to die prematurely, but it will play hard until it catches fire or trips a protection circuit. 2 ohms is probably want you want. I would guess that Hifonics puts out around 1400 watts RMS at 2 ohms. 8 ohms will still play reasonably loud and you'd probably never know it wasn't hooked up right. Use that woofer wiring wizard to understand your wiring scheme and wire the subs correctly. A pair of 2 ohm DVC subs can be complicated, and doing it wrong can lead to coil failure (blown subs).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They both Are 2 Ohm Subs,I Gotta Re-Wire Them Into 2 Ohm.both Speakers positive(+) Together & The Same For Negative(-) Together After I Complete This Part (Re-Wiring Stage)
My Wires That Run To My Amp Have To Be Single connected. Postive Wire(+) On One Side & The SameFor Negative(-) Is This Correct?

@DJPiezo

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Also Notice That I Have A 4 Gauge Power Wire Hooked Up To My Amp.Do I Need An 8 Gauge Power Wire Hooked Up To It Or The 4 Wire Gauge Is Fine?

@DJPiezo

·
Registered
955 Posts
They both Are 2 Ohm Subs,I Gotta Re-Wire Them Into 2 Ohm.both Speakers positive(+) Together & The Same For Negative(-) Together After I Complete This Part (Re-Wiring Stage)
My Wires That Run To My Amp Have To Be Single connected. Postive Wire(+) On One Side & The SameFor Negative(-) Is This Correct?
Trying to describe a wiring hook-up scheme in words is not a good way to go about it. Use that woofer wiring wizard as it will generate a picture for you to follow.

I Also Notice That I Have A 4 Gauge Power Wire Hooked Up To My Amp.Do I Need An 8 Gauge Power Wire Hooked Up To It Or The 4 Wire Gauge Is Fine?
4 gauge is bigger than 8. 4 gauge is better.

If I understand your current problem (almost no bass from subs, but you can tell they are getting some power), then neither of these will cause the problem you've described. If the subs are wired incorrectly they will still play reasonably loud. They just won't play with maximum efficiency. The power wire size is not a problem. I would recommend 4 gauge. Make sure ground is the same size or larger. The problem is (most likely) a lack of proper signal. This can be caused by the gain knob or a filter somewhere in the signal path. Zero bass can also be caused by the amp not turning on. Recheck wiring. Recheck dials. If these check out, come back with pictures of the place you're tapping a signal and pictures of the dials.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Sweet. No problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts