Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have problems seeing the oil on the dipstick line. Everytime I take it out and look,its all smeared. I Do it again and same thing. I want a good reading. Any kind of additive to add to make it a different color like yellow. lol --- A nice yellow would be easy to read. I always thought about this. Just blends in to nicely with the dipstick. My rant of the day :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for posting this, makes me feel a little bit better, I have the exact same complaint. I can never tell where the oil level is on the dipstick.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Mine's the same with both my Challenger and Ram. I've found a more distinct separation line on the backside of the dipstick though. Maybe the checkering causes the oil to spread out easier on the front side.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
As long as it is in the hatched area it is fine. You can also carefully lay the dipstick on a clean paper towel to see where the level is if you are that particular about it.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Two things, one be sure the words are not upside down, and if you added all 7 quarts that over fills it by almost half a quart so the line is so far up you don’t see it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I take a sharp metal scribe and scribe a line at the full and at the low marks on the backside of the dipstick. I add a few cross hatches for good measure. This way I can view both sides of the dipstick to confirm the oil level.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Why is it in this modern day of TPMS's, ABS, ESC, park assist, adaptive cruise control, pre-collision assist, and heated steering wheels, the car manufactures cannot provide an electronic oil level gauge that tells you exactly how much oil is in the engine, via the dash, after start up?

I know some high end cars have this, but it shouldn't it be easy enough to put in all modern cars?

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
Why is it in this modern day of TPMS's, ABS, ESC, park assist, adaptive cruise control, pre-collision assist, and heated steering wheels, the car manufactures cannot provide an electronic oil level gauge that tells you exactly how much oil is in the engine, via the dash, after start up?

I know some high end cars have this, but it shouldn't it be easy enough to put in all modern cars?
I'm glad we have dipsticks.

Mercedes had both the oil level sensor & dipstick for a number of years.

Then, they omitted the dipstick...when the level sensor was bad - you couldn't tell what the right level was. This required dropping the lower sump to replace the sensor...

Now they're back to having both the dipstick & oil level sensor.

PS: I insert the dipstick one direction, then flip over to the other to double check the level - especially after an oil change.

The end of the dipstick enters V8 oil pan at an angle - so there's a little variance between which side of the stick you read...

·
Registered
415 Posts
I take a sharp metal scribe and scribe a line at the full and at the low marks on the backside of the dipstick. I add a few cross hatches for good measure. This way I can view both sides of the dipstick to confirm the oil level.
A scotch brite pad works great to scuff up the dip stick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts