Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just got a 2014 SXT. Unfortunately I could not afford the SXT Plus, so what I am wanting to do is to be able to do some upgrades. Some of the things I want to do is OEM, but I also want to weigh cost over benefit. Here are some of the things that I am looking at doing:
-Steering wheel paddle shifters
-Fog light kit
-Cold air intake
-sport mode package (or a tuner)
-turbo charger
-new mufflers (looking at flowmaster super 10) double
-changing wheel size to the 20's
-OEM spoiler
-OEM back-up sensor package

So these are some of the upgrades that I am looking at doing. I have been looking online and I have found the OEM fog light kit, OEM back-up sensor package, and OEM spoiler, but that does nothing for adding any performance to my new Challenger. So I am looking for any ideas, help, places that carry what I am looking for, and cost, and please do not tell me that I should of gotten the SRT8 or anything other than what I got.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
As to sport mode and paddle shifters, they are part of the Super Sport group and if it wasn't in the budget to buy the package, it sure won't be in the budget to add it. A turbo would be probably about 7K to do it right. Everything else, do it as you can afford to. Enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Congrats on the new ride bro

Reactions: Sapper97

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I went from a Dodge Ram TRX 4X4 Hemi single cab to the Challenger. I am enjoying it so far. Thank y'all.

Rghoskins I understand what you are saying but there should be some way that I can put on the paddle shifters, and then do the sport mode. All we are talking about is the wiring harness and for the SXT and the SXT Plus they should be using the same wiring harness so that means that everything should be plug and play for the most part. I can understand needing to have the dealer add the program for the sports mode, if that is not just a module that you plug in to the wiring harness. I am even having a hard time just finding it on the mopar parts catalogue. That is why I am coming here and asking for help. I figured that there might be people on here that could help me and in turn also help other people that might be in the same situation. Just because I could not afford the upgrade to the SXT Plus does not mean that I'm not going to be able to do the different things that I want to do over time.

I am also wondering if I should do straight pipes out of the mufflers or do the cat back or what ever it is there at the back next to the tips, I want my muscle car to sound and act like the muscle car it is. I do not want it to sound like a rice burner. Also I would like to add the sequence taillights, and do some extra stuff to the headlights. I am open to suggestions so please help me with ideas, but please add where I can find the parts and about how much the parts run. I am very handy with my hands and I do most of the work myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As to sport mode and paddle shifters, they are part of the Super Sport group and if it wasn't in the budget to buy the package, it sure won't be in the budget to add it. A turbo would be probably about 7K to do it right. Everything else, do it as you can afford to. Enjoy your new car.
Where can I find a turbo? I have been looking online and I have not found anything yet.

·
Registered
373 Posts
im 99% sure your car has "slap shift" which instead of using paddle shifter you can simply use the shifter to "manually" shift. i prefer the stick instead of the paddles always. fog lights don't make a huge difference as far visibility goes but do make the car look mean. look for the go wing spoiler i think it looks better and you don't see many challengers with them cause most come with the oem one and you aren't able to add it after the oem is on. i don't think you'll be able to add sport mode but a tuner is defiantly do able, look at the diablo trinity.
enjoy the new ride!

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Welcome

and congrats...

·
Registered
744 Posts
To add the paddle shifters you have to buy the steering wheel with the paddle shifters and have the dealer enable it within the cars ECU.Probably 1000 dollars+.Buy a good cold air intake,switch to synthetic oil and enjoy your ride.As a side note I added aftermarket fog lights(LED) for 75 dollars and I didn't have to have the dealer enable them plus the LEDs are much less of a battery drain and they do not get hot like the factory lights.I added the GO WING, Mopar splash guards,Hurst shifter to my 2011 Toxic Orange SE.I had it for two years then traded it in on 2014 PCP Challenger RT Classic.I love my RT but had two SE's prior so I'll always have a soft spot for SE's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd like to recommend a supercharger kit instead of turbo. There has been some threads for supercharging the 3.5L engine, and I think the 3.6L with vvt can support some nice power. I don't know much about the paddle shifters, but the slap-shift shifter is an electronic switch. With some wiring diagrams and possibly finding a paddle shifter assy from another chrysler product you could make it work with little modification, but I'd stick with the slap-shifter, my exp. with paddle shifters are not as fun as you would think when driving the car hard.

Wes

·
Registered
244 Posts
On the paddle shifters let me say I thought they would be something I would enjoy using, and I've used them like 3 times maybe. Maybe it's just me, but when I do manually shift, it's just more natural using the shifter.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So you couldn't afford the SXT Plus which is only $2,000 more, but you're planning to do $6,800 worth of upgrades? Hmm..

Adding sport mode would be super costly. You need a button in the console, new steering wheel, and ECU programming which might not even be possible. You can't add auto headlights anymore, so I doubt you can add something like sport mode. I'm glad I don't have paddle shifters. They would always be in the way of my hands. I don't always keep my hands at "10 and 2" so I'm glad I don't have them.

The fog lights are easy to do so I don't blame you for wanting that. I'll do that one day myself.

I suggest researching mufflers a lot before buying. The V6 sounds like poop honestly and there are only a handful of exhausts that'll keep a deeper nice tone. Listen to a lot of sound clips before laying down the cash. That's my opinion.

Congrats on the car.

Reactions: Shank and Stimpy433

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
A good CAI will give the car a nice sound without the muffler upgrade. Also, putting on a larger wheel will produce more drag on your brakes. There is a reason the car came with the wheel size that is on it. The engineers have designed everything to work at its best with that wheel size. I am sure you can find some cool aftermarket wheels that are the same size that will set you car apart from the others. Adding a tower brace in the front will help your handling a bit and is not a costly upgrade. If you buy a tuner, the techs will be able to flash your ecu, even if you return it to stock before service, and they will know the car was tuned. This will void your engine warranty should something go wrong. You have 306 HP under the hood which is good stuff. I have a R/T plus and have 372 HP. I enjoy the paddle shifters immensely, but I believe trying to upgrade to that would be very expensive. Like I mentioned, a good CAI will be a nice add on. Other than that, enjoy your car and make cosmetic upgrades as you can afford. Welcome to the Challenger forums.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
As far as adding fog lights, the wiring is already there. The problem is, you have to have a dealer re-flash your computer so it knows the fog lights are there.(I've heard anywhere from $150-$300). I imagine it's the same way with the rear backup sensors. These may seem like easy upgrades, but once the dealer is involved, it can get expensive.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Yeah I've only used my paddles once to see what it was like. Not a big deal. Sport mode and the suspension, brake, and rearend upgrades are pretty cool though. I think the OP has the Super Sport group confused with the plus package. Plus comes with literally none of the performance upgrades listed. Just buy a tune and a CAI and you've pretty much got the straight line performance of the SS/T. No sense in trying to add a 1500 dollar package you said wasn't in the budget after the fact.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Save your money on the CAI, no performance gain there. Tune is the way to go!

Also dont worry about warranty with the tuner no one voids it over that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
508 Posts
Since you bought the base model, one thing others have not mentioned is the gears, the base has 2:73, sport package 3:05, not much difference in mpg, but the 3:05 has better acceleration.
I have the base model, and went several routes as far as performance is concerned, had the Mopar CAI, nice but costly, had a, Airaid CAI, nice unit as well, like was said earlier, no major gains in power, small mpg gain, not much. Also tried the Hypertech Interceptor, slight improvement, but in my opinion, not worth it. Grant I was impressed when I got it, but over time I grew dissatisfied. Personally, I would go with the Diablosport, just speaking from my own experience, other than that, enjoy your Challenger, for what it is, the best looking car on the road.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Gears is a smart idea. If you plan on getting a turbo then you probably would want something higher then 3.06

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys thank you for all of y'alls input. Please keep up with letting me know what all y'all did to y'alls 3.6l v6. The 20" wheels are the ones offered as an option. As for the CAI I'm looking at going with K&N CAI. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it comes to the muffler, but I am thinking about the flowmaster super 40 delta's has anybody used them? Thank you for the input about the paddle shifter and everything.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts