Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched from a 2015 Base Mustang GT with Performance Pack to a R/T Scat with:

Leather Interior Group
Driver Convenience Group
Scat Pack Appearance Group
Power Sunroof
UConnect 4C Nav
Hyper Black II Forged Wheels

Big change from the stang... lotta goodies in this one. It's auto though, and I'm a little worried of getting bored of it. I think autos numb the driving experience from these cars, but I do accept it's the "superior" transmission.

Looking forward to enjoying this car for the next 3 years. I seem to get bored of cars right around that 3 year mark....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Asharus. Nice upgrade, congrats :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,188 Posts
I switched from a 2015 Base Mustang GT with Performance Pack to a R/T Scat.
Big change from the stang... lotta goodies in this one. It's auto though, and I'm a little worried of getting bored of it. I think autos numb the driving experience from these cars, but I do accept it's the "superior" transmission.
Congratulations on your new Scat Pack. I'll bet that this will be one car that you keep for more than three years.

Use the autostick feature- best of both worlds.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Congrats! I'm a sucker for white Challengers. It looks great, and I bet you'll enjoy the transmission.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'm already starting to like it. Plus it pulls like hell.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Congrats!! I did the same switch that you did except I have the M6. HUGE improvement over that noisy grinder that was in the mustang, not to mention i have a real clutch pedal..

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,987 Posts
Looks just like my 2018, right down the yellow things on the air splitter.

I was a bit anxious about getting an auto but the TorqueFlite is a superb transmission. An automatic is easier on the drive train and engine and I say this as someone who's pretty darn smooth with a manual. I have one car with over 320K miles on its original clutch (and transmission).

While I never test drove a 6-speed I have driven manuals for a number of years. My 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo is a 6-speed. And my 2006 GTO was a 6-speed.

I was afraid the Challenger would be like those cars. Take off in 1st with lots of acceleration then when it comes time to upshift and one has to let off the gas and depress the clutch and shift to 2nd there is a complete loss of acceleration. In fact one gets thrown against the seat belt/shoulder strap with about as much force as he was getting pushed back in the seat.

Then the process starts all over again and continues until one runs out of gears or more likely road.

This pause in acceleration while shifting -- and not rushing the process to avoid wear and tear on the transmission -- is something the automatic avoids. It is not quite the same type of acceleration one feels when say a airliner takes off but the shifts happen PDQ and the car accelerates at a blinding rate.

Years ago in my Turbo I pulled up at a stop light next to a Lambo. When the light changed the Lambo driver took off real quick. Not quick like he was stop light drag racing but just very efficiently, but no drama. The car was equipped with a manual with an automatic shifter, kind of like an F1-like transmission. I took off too but the Lambo was just quicker off the line and as we accelerated down the road -- not racing but just getting up to speed -- I could hear the Lambo upshift and the speed at which it upshifted compared to how ponderously slow I was able to upshift my Turbo -- and the Turbo shfiter is a nice fast shifter too compared to other cars I've owned/driven -- really made me realize just how slow a manual transmission is to shift.

Bottom line is I think the TorqueFlite is going to be fine. Oh and experience it in sport mode.

I can't wait until after break in to better experience the car's acceleration, the transmission's shifting, while in sport mode.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks just like my 2018, right down the yellow things on the air splitter.
Yep, agreed on the tranny. It's pretty god damned good. Today, I've only accidentally used my left foot to step on a non existent clutch once while starting it up. I'm pretty much over the manual now. Oh well. I'm used to having my engine revs in the 3k rpms. Now, the Dodge just rides around at idle like nothing, and pulls like a freight train when you want it to. I'm impressed.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,987 Posts
I've adapted/adjusted to the new Challenger and its automatic just fine. But when I get back in my Turbo it takes a bit of concentration to adapt to a manual equipped car, to be smooth with the clutch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I guess it's like anything, "each to his own", but I absolutely LOVE my 6 speed!!! I may not be as fast off the line, I may have to replace a clutch someday, but it just makes me feel more connected to the machine when I have to row through the gears!!
Enjoy your Autos boys, that's why they make both kinds!! :bigthumb:

Reactions: Ohgeez

·
Registered
32 Posts
Absolutely awesome color...although I may be a bit biased :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Congrats on the ride! Awesome. So is that transmission. Probably saved me a ton of tickets from having a manual...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks. after months of driving it, i don't miss the manual at all! i can't believe it myself! i just love flooring this thing and it just rips

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
thanks. after months of driving it, i don't miss the manual at all! i can't believe it myself! i just love flooring this thing and it just rips

I know what you mean, I've had this A8 for almost 3 and a half years coming from a M6 SRT8 392 and I don't miss it either!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts