Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, Is the new Challenger made of clay or fiberglass? Do the make it out of steel and save the measurments in case it becomes a real production car? Anyone have info on how they build these dream cars with the intent that it may be a production car?

·
Registered
171 Posts
thy make a model from clay... then they make a bigger model from clay. Then I think they make a ne off metal one. I forgot. usually the concept ones dont have a motor or tranny even in them.

They did a whole episode on "Rides" about how concept cars are made and stuff... really cool

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
The concept if carbon fiber ain't it? I know it is a very detailed (working) show car which is a little different than most.:D

·
Registered
492 Posts
rpmalerba said:
Seriously, Is the new Challenger made of clay or fiberglass? Do the make it out of steel and save the measurments in case it becomes a real production car? Anyone have info on how they build these dream cars with the intent that it may be a production car?

This article might just help explain the 'concept car' process for you. :cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Long, low, wide and fast
On February 1, 2005, after nearly a year's work on the Challenger's design, Castiglione found out the car would be built into a full-size running concept car for the 2006 Detroit Auto Show. His deadline to hand off the full-size clay model and all of his computer data to Metalcrafters was the first week of June.

Located in Fountain Valley, California, Metalcrafters builds all of DaimlerChrysler's concept cars and needed about six months to build the Challenger. Its body, which is made entirely of carbon fiber, would take time to create.
from: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=108756

lots of info on prototyping here:
http://www.metalcrafters.com/company.html

·
Registered
133 Posts
this car does drive, 6.1 hemi in it, sounds great!! haven't really gotten on it, since i'm loading it in a trailer or moving it in the shop. no need to, sounds good!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
champcaracing said:
this car does drive, 6.1 hemi in it, sounds great!! haven't really gotten on it, since i'm loading it in a trailer or moving it in the shop. no need to, sounds good!!
That was an interesting post. Do tell. :)

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Now that's a teaser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come on bro hook us up!
BTW Champcaracing, Any chance this car will be in Long Beach for the race????

·
Registered
133 Posts
the carbon fiber on the hood appears to be just a graphic overlay. been looking at it when it comes back from shows.(doesn't come back often) the car will be in death valley soon for a media drive event and photo shoot, so be on the look out for it and the imperial also!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
as for the long beach race.... doesn't look like it, the shows it going to is many. and everytime i open a show, the same question is asked "is the challenger here?" well i can tell you yes in dallas, and atlanta cause i'm going to be there, but the car could always get pulled, if powers to be think it needs to be somewhere else. when i leave for these cities, i'll try and post to let you guys know for sure.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Youdaman!
Cool job by the way!
Got any swag you wanna trade for Long Beach stuff!!!
Your going to be very popular around these parts!

·
Registered
133 Posts
was given one of the shirts they give away at the shows, but can't get my hands on a press kit yet!! still asking around at work for that one item. yeah the job is cool, the cars all have their own little quirks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You definately need to stick around the forums. We are dying for information and throwing a little scrap for us now and then will make you very popular! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts