Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
It seems to be giving off a lot more exhaust smell and after install , I started the car and hit the throttle and it revved up nicely and stalled out. It only happened upon first start. Took it for a test drive and everything seems good. That just worried me. I did not think it would suck so much air that you can hear it doing so. That is pretty cool. I know I sound like a newbie, I am not a mechanic and am new to this.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
573 Posts
No CEL right? Exhaust shouldnt smell any different and it shouldn't stall unless there's a leak.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
One reason people install CAI is for the increased intake sound. That and the bling are about all they are for

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
505 Posts
Normal.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
345 Posts
I had that intake but I never had a stall or smell issue. You could def hear the suction through the intake louder though, and there was a definite throttle response improvement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robsrtplus...The stall only happened on initial start up, same with the exhaust smell. It sucks air, I noticed a gain in MPG, seems like a decent piece of kit

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
345 Posts
Robsrtplus...The stall only happened on initial start up, same with the exhaust smell. It sucks air, I noticed a gain in MPG, seems like a decent piece of kit
yeah it's a good system. Some guys argue that the oiled filter can cause the intake temp sensor to foul... I've never actually seen or heard of that happening but don't know if it can or not. I ended up swapping mine for the hellcat airbox because I didn't like the way the K&N system looked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The oil issue that has been argued on several other vehicles and forums was mainly due to those who simply over oiled them when they decided it was time to clean and re-oil. If you follow the K&N instructions for cleaning/re-oil, this would not be an issue.

If you visit their site, there is a FAQ section that explains. K&N also will back their filter and would cover any proven oil related intake air sensor failure due to their filters (coming from them and not re-oiled) failures.

They have a 100K mile normal life prior to requiring a cleaning and re-oil; most owners like that "red" filter color, so when they turn grey in color, they feel they need to be cleaned and re-oiled. Leave them be!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
You can find various links to posts on car forums where the poster states the dealership wouldn't warranty repairs due to an oiled filter. The youtube video is now private, but this is the Hellcat instance

Mind, no one ever gets the whole picture, just the disgruntled persons side, legit or not

This is the K&N policy (reminds me of the Amsoil policy that people always say will never happen)

The followup video

A Guy

Reactions: RobsRTplus

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've run a K&N oiled filter for over 125K on a Harley-Davidson, with no issues. I ran a K&N on a 2014 Mustang for 75K; finally traded that car in on a Ford truck, which now runs a K&N CAI. I've never had issues with a dealership on warrantee repairs. As most reports and testimonials would state, the dealership has to prove damage due to an oiled filter, which I've never seen any actual cases. I'm not worried.

As the final decision vid provided, Dodge realized that a certified oil filter was not a reason for failed bearings (in the provided case), nor would any air intake sensor fail from a filter provided by K&N. Now if a person did not follow directions on re-oiling their filter, then that could be a different story.

Like you said, oil has been another myth. If you use the recommended SAE oil and viscosity, your fine. If a dealership or manufacturer wanted to void a warranty over that, then by law, they must provide their oil for free.

The air intake sensors on the 3.6 are at least over 3 feet away from the air filter...there would have to be one heck of an amount of oil on the filter to corrupt it (sensor). Would only happen if a person literally soaked it in oil!
You can find various links to posts on car forums where the poster states the dealership wouldn't warranty repairs due to an oiled filter. The youtube video is now private, but this is the Hellcat instance

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Just reporting what's happened...it's good info for that Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act trial. I'm not saying the issue is true, just people have had issues with manufacturers because of it, even if wrong

A Guy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took my Challenger in for a replacement piece of rubber trim on the drivers door on Friday, after responding to this thread the other day. The mechanic gave me a verbal thumbs up on the color we chose, plus he asked about the CAI, as he was looking for one for his 2018 SXT. I asked him about warranty issues on these types of mods, and if Dodge could/would void portions of a warranty due to aftermarket parts. His response was that Dodge would have to prove a failure of a warrantied part due to an aftermarket part that was installed. He said in most cases, Dodge would not wish to pursue an issue unless they had absolute cause and proof that a failure happened due to such aftermarket part/parts.

I do understand that some performance parts can void a warranty, such as blowers, turbo's (on engines that did not have this as a factory option) etc. In the case of CAI's that have an oiled filter, it would be a tough sell to show a sensor failure, unless a careless owner over oiled it during cleaning and re-oiling. That does happen. To those that feel they are not savy in cleaning and re-oiling, I recommend a dry, replaceable filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts