Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Just paid my 2019 Challenger off, looking to upgrade

424 21
Hello everybody, first I want to apologize if this post already has a thread going and whatnot. I've never posted anything on a forum like this, I really don't know how to use it.

With that said, I've just paid my 2019 Dodge Challenger RT stars and stripes edition off. I am looking to dump about 15 to 20K into the motor, suspension, exhaust etc. I barely drive the car, it only has 12,800 mi on it. Bought it as a trophy but now since it's paid off I really want to invest into my fun and having a super fast car.

My question is what route I should go when doing upgrades? I hear a lot of good stuff about ProChargers, twin turbos etc. And no I don't give a **** about the warranty. I really want to build this car up so I have something to give to my son when I'm dead.

Like I said at the beginning of the post I am looking to spend anywhere in between 15 to 20K on these upgrades. I would like to keep up with a hellcat if that is even possible? Always done my own car repairs ever since I was a teenager but whatever is recommended will be done at a shop because that type of work is well above my knowledge.

No I am not buying a scat pack or a hellcat, Don't want to. Have a perfectly good car and platform here that even after the 20K I'd be sitting around 54K total expense for the vehicle. Much cheaper than a scat pack or hellcat. Plus I love my car.

20K might not be enough to upgrade to that point but that's what I have to play with. And I'm very open to spending more money on the car once I save up another 20K. I am 45 and looking to retire around 52. So I don't mind a project that I can work on daily.

So basically I want to know what to upgrade and how to upgrade from somebody who knows what they're doing. I feel like if I just take it to a tune shop and ask them to do what I'm asking you guys to help me with they will just **** me over. Especially when they realize how much money I am prepared to spend. Any knowledge or insight is very much appreciated. Thank you guys in advance and I do apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum or if the thread already exists and whatnot.

Most importantly, I hope all of you reading this have a very prosperous 2023!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,704 Posts
Congratulations on getting it paid off. I’d recommend you try the search function out and find similar threads for what you’re trying to accomplish. Start there and in the meantime, stand by for others to chime in. One of the many things that are great here is all the help you’ll get spending your money. Good luck.

· Registered
2011 SXT
5,735 Posts
Trade up the Car or go to a Magnuson Super Charger instead better then the Pro Charger. Also if you go with a Pro Charger
you should install one of these since they can cause Surges... Seen post on here and other forums saying they get surging issues with
the Pro-Chargers / Ripp Charger same thing.

Procharger Bullet Bypass Anti-Surge Valve

· Registered
2015 CHALLENGER HELLCAT
28 Posts
-twin screw blower
-dual fuel pump
- built tranny
-upgrade suspension
-upgrade brake
  • forged rods and pistons
  • a good installer and tuner
Its easier to get a hellcat all the parts and systems on the cat work well together . When you build it will be alot of hiccups and that will give you a headache and you pour more money chasing horsepower.

· Registered
451 Posts
I wanna keep this short for now because it could get long. If your going to do all the wrenching i and mean all of it you could get 700 -800 whp proper for 20k (keep up with a cat). If you don't know how to build a motor you could also waste big money as well.
You said rt so 5.7 liter.. you buy a sc kit procharger or roots style you get around 500-550 whp.. besides the sc kit.. you will need a fuel pump if not provided in kit plus injectors and exhaust if a shop does all the work. I could see you spending 15 k ish to still have hellcats run right past you.
Just for a prespective for you I built/forged my 6.4 Did all the work and still spent I wanna say around 6 k in just engine parts this can get very expensive in parts alone.
There's already alot of threads on these topics I would suggest going to build tab and doing some research you will read the good, bad and ugly.
Also shop around online for sc theres whipple, Magnuson, edelbrock, procharger off the top of my head. Engine parts I shopped mmx (modern muscle extreme).
I know you don't wanna hear it but go fall in love with a cat then you won't have effed up knuckles and splitting headaches

· Registered
274 Posts
Your goal sounds perfectly attainable, but do some research first. Pro Charger may be a good way to go (with a forged motor and fueling mods), but requires driveline and brake mods to go with it.
The most important thing will be choosing the right shop with Hemi experience.
What part of the country are you in. Others will post good shops in your area.
Luke at Steve White Motors in NC would be an excellent choice.

· Registered
2015 CHALLENGER HELLCAT
28 Posts
This is just a guess, but sometimes saying "I built that" is more rewarding than "I bought that". even if in the end it cost more. OP said he wanted a project. Writing a check isn't a project.
Ether way a check will be written bought or built...sometime builds turn into money pits if you dont do the wrenching yourself

· Registered
2015 Torred Challenger Hellcat
43 Posts
Hello everybody, first I want to apologize if this post already has a thread going and whatnot. I've never posted anything on a forum like this, I really don't know how to use it.

With that said, I've just paid my 2019 Dodge Challenger RT stars and stripes edition off. I am looking to dump about 15 to 20K into the motor, suspension, exhaust etc. I barely drive the car, it only has 12,800 mi on it. Bought it as a trophy but now since it's paid off I really want to invest into my fun and having a super fast car.

My question is what route I should go when doing upgrades? I hear a lot of good stuff about ProChargers, twin turbos etc. And no I don't give a **** about the warranty. I really want to build this car up so I have something to give to my son when I'm dead.

Like I said at the beginning of the post I am looking to spend anywhere in between 15 to 20K on these upgrades. I would like to keep up with a hellcat if that is even possible? Always done my own car repairs ever since I was a teenager but whatever is recommended will be done at a shop because that type of work is well above my knowledge.

No I am not buying a scat pack or a hellcat, Don't want to. Have a perfectly good car and platform here that even after the 20K I'd be sitting around 54K total expense for the vehicle. Much cheaper than a scat pack or hellcat. Plus I love my car.

20K might not be enough to upgrade to that point but that's what I have to play with. And I'm very open to spending more money on the car once I save up another 20K. I am 45 and looking to retire around 52. So I don't mind a project that I can work on daily.

So basically I want to know what to upgrade and how to upgrade from somebody who knows what they're doing. I feel like if I just take it to a tune shop and ask them to do what I'm asking you guys to help me with they will just **** me over. Especially when they realize how much money I am prepared to spend. Any knowledge or insight is very much appreciated. Thank you guys in advance and I do apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum or if the thread already exists and whatnot.

Thinks it’s absolutely great that you’re wanting to build the R/T up to make big power! The 5.7 really is an underrated hoss of a motor. However, you said that $54k is much cheaper than a Scat Pack or Hellcat, which simply isn’t true. Bought a 2021 Scat Pack brand new in Feb. 2022 for $42k, and traded into a low mile Hellcat for $55k just this past October. In both cases, I didn’t even have to look that hard for these deals.

Once again, I think it’s a great endeavor to build a car rather than buy it. I would have done the same thing before Dodge announced the discontinuation of the Hellcat, which forced my hand. But if you try to justify building vs buying speed financially, you will likely end up falling short, at least in that respect. Just my .02. Not trying to sway you one way or another, just sharing my experience is all.

What I would suggest is maybe consider giving the 392 and the HC a test drive before throwing a bunch of money into a R/T. That’s the route I went, and couldn’t be more happy that I did.

· Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
4,202 Posts

You cannot do it for $20K, but check out my Showcase to see all of my mods. Next, contact HighHorse Performance, a sponsor here, and talk to Greg there. What they do is build performance Challengers, and if you get rheir help, you will not end up making mistakes that cost you more money. Also the owner, Joshua Schwartz, is the best performance tuner in the business IMHO. BTW, they are in Deleware if you are close to there. They also have sales on different performance parts going on all the time. They are giving away a 807-HP Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Jailbreak Edition right now, and the current promo code is HH0123H, which can get you a #1K credit towards performance parts with a purchase.

· Registered
2,308 Posts
Do a Steve White Magnuson kit. Put a Maggie on it at 8-10lb with an exhaust and whatever suspension you want to do. Then leave it alone and enjoy it. It will be faster than a Scat Pack and a total blast to drive.

I would be honest with yourself first though. If you are one of those guys that it’s never enough don’t touch it and go with a Hellcat. If you know you will constantly want more power it gets very expensive fast once you go past the base Maggie kit. You will then need, axles, differential, driveshaft, built motor, transmission, etc

· Registered
2020 T/A 392
110 Posts
I think it's cool that you want to mod the car. Most will say buy a Hellcat. Great, buy a Hellcat....and then what, keep it STOCK? I doubt it. Chasing HP never really ends regardless of which car you own. If you absolutely love your RT then I say go for it. Adding power to your car is so much more interesting than just buying the next trim level up in my opinion. But whatever engine upgrades you settle on make sure you don't forget about supporting modifications to your transmission and driveline. Their limitations need to be addressed or at the very least recognized. Good luck!

· Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,728 Posts
Talk to High Horse Performance (HHP); they took a 5.7 and stroked it, then procharged it, THEN turbo'd it. I know the owner of the car, and it is an absolute beast.

The 5.7 is a better platform than the 6.4 for what you're describing; you have more tolerances to work with. But at $15-$20k, what you're going to gain will still fall short of what someone with a 6.4 spending the same would achieve.

However, that's not important; you have a dream you want to turn into a plan. Your best bet is to pick a good shop, one that focuses on Hemis, and work with them to turn your plan into reality. It should be a fun project!

Reactions: Gila Hemi

· Registered
4,136 Posts
Contact Petty's Garage. They have packages for our cars and $20k is plenty to get you into what you're looking for. Plus it will be a numbered tuner car, which can add value over having some local garage do the work. They've been doing this for a while now.

· Registered
'18 SP modified (707hp)
422 Posts
Congratulations on paying off your R/T. It must be a good feeling.
I know that you will get advice about trading up, but that's not what you want to do. Good for you. Have fun with your project.

I had my '18SP for 2 years. Covid hit. I got bored. I did a bunch of mods (see below signature line).
Like you, I liked my car - Dark Phoenix - and I could have traded up, but I wanted to build on what I had.

My vote is for a ProCharger, which I got 3 years ago. I am running a ProCharger Stage II Intercooled System with P-1SC-1 supercharger with an increase of 222hp (from 485 to 707), with a 93 octane tune, at just 7 psi boost, not maxing rpms, at an optimal compression ratio. If I wanted even more power, then upgrades and forged internals would be needed over stock. Overall, it is AWESOME. You will love the added power. But, make sure you have a good tuner. Total cost of my supercharger plus installation was 12k.

For your R/T, ProCharger mentioned you will get 160+hp. Check out this link.
However, I would mention to do a cost analysis, to get the best hp for your money, so check out what others have to say.

· Registered
2015 SRT 392
4,079 Posts
Welcome to the forum and also Congratulations on paying off your Challenger!

I think it's cool that you want to mod the car. Most will say buy a Hellcat. Great, buy a Hellcat....and then what, keep it STOCK? I doubt it. Chasing HP never really ends regardless of which car you own. If you absolutely love your RT then I say go for it. Adding power to your car is so much more interesting than just buying the next trim level up in my opinion. But whatever engine upgrades you settle on make sure you don't forget about supporting modifications to your transmission and driveline. Their limitations need to be addressed or at the very least recognized. Good luck!
The good thing about modding a Hellcat is that it's Relatively reasonable to get 700-900 rwhp out of it. An upper/lower pulley (your choice or both), some injectors and a tune gets you in the ballpark along with a good fuel system. It's kind of pay me now or pay me later because the Hellcat costs more up front but less in mods on the back end.

The other bonus is that the motor is already built form the factory too.

Congratulations on paying off your R/T. It must be a good feeling.
I know that you will get advice about trading up, but that's not what you want to do. Good for you. Have fun with your project.

I had my '18SP for 2 years. Covid hit. I got bored. I did a bunch of mods (see below signature line).
Like you, I liked my car - Dark Phoenix - and I could have traded up, but I wanted to build on what I had.

My vote is for a ProCharger, which I got 3 years ago. I am running a ProCharger Stage II Intercooled System with P-1SC-1 supercharger with an increase of 222hp (from 485 to 707), with a 93 octane tune, at just 7 psi boost, not maxing rpms, at an optimal compression ratio. If I wanted even more power, then upgrades and forged internals would be needed over stock. Overall, it is AWESOME. You will love the added power. But, make sure you have a good tuner. Total cost of my supercharger plus installation was 12k.

For your R/T, ProCharger mentioned you will get 160+hp. Check out this link.
However, I would mention to do a cost analysis, to get the best hp for your money, so check out what others have to say.
If I were going the ProCharger route, then I'd upgrade to the P1X blower because it's got a better impeller in it and gives you a bit more power than the standard P1SC.

Here's a good article on some of the differences. Sorry, but it's on a Coyote (Ford) but the blower doesn't care what it's on :D:

P1SC vs. P1X on a Coyote (Ford) motor................

If you would rather have a Twin Screw/Roots/Whatever, then I agree with the others and just give Luke @ Steve White a call. They can build you a setup that they've built too many to count and is proven to work for a reasonable price. I'd even ask Luke if they have any Specials or deals coming up on them. I also know that they offer a forum discount that you could ask about too.

Dark Phoenix: Do you have any pictures of your car with all of the mods done. I Really like looking at modded Challenger's and yours sounds Nice!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts