Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just received navteq nav map update. They tell you they want to save you money on shipping, So they are sending it to all customers. They want $199.00 (WOW) for the map update. The nice thing is they are sending out the system update for the radio that you don't have to buy. I installed the red disk and it did the full system update.(kind of nice of them) WARNING DO NOT PUT IN THE GRAY DISK UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY FOR THE MAP UPDATE. But you can use the red ont to do the system update.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
So are we all going to get these for Christmas??

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are we all going to get these for Christmas??
From what the info says you will get one if you are the new owner of the car

Attachments

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Thanks, Does that one change the RAM head to the new Dodge emblem on the back ground? I got 2.302 on line but afterwards I found out it's not approved yet. It has the new Dodge emblem in it. I was told 2.4 is coming out next month.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Does that one change the RAM head to the new Dodge emblem on the back ground? I got 2.302 on line but afterwards I found out it's not approved yet. It has the new Dodge emblem in it. I was told 2.4 is coming out next month.
It now just shows (uconnect) with a little bit of graphics

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I upgraded mine (2009 Which was MANY versions behind from somewhere I found on here and had to burn 2 discs) and it had the Ram head BEFORE and the Uconnect with some little graphics after. Wasn't aware that this was something they charge for. I carry these in my car just in case I run into fellow Challenger owners in my travels but have yet to find anyone with the MyGig Head unit. (Most people I run into don't have SRT8s)

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I upgraded mine (2009 Which was MANY versions behind from somewhere I found on here and had to burn 2 discs) and it had the Ram head BEFORE and the Uconnect with some little graphics after. Wasn't aware that this was something they charge for. I carry these in my car just in case I run into fellow Challenger owners in my travels but have yet to find anyone with the MyGig Head unit. (Most people I run into don't have SRT8s)
From what I understand it doesn't matter if it's an SRT but if it's a RER radio. I've also heard that the nav update parts are made ser# specific (I'm guessing MAC address) and you can't use yours disc on another radio. The software update you're talking about changing the background can be changed on any radio and those are also a free download on line.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
the part that sucks is they charge you for map updates, but Garmin gives you free map updates for life. if it was like $20 i would buy the update.

it would be cheaper in the long run to buy the new 2011 RER nav radio with garmin navigation and never paid for updates.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Or simply use your iPhone map which is;

- free
- more accurate
- has real time traffic incorporated
- and is much smarter (type in a business name/city and voila; ditto- type in a phone number and you're GTG)

IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Toni, Do you know how much a 2011 RER runs? That might be a good plan. They should plug in to what we have, don't they? Do you know if the lockpick works with them so that the camera will still work?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
From what I understand it doesn't matter if it's an SRT but if it's a RER radio. I've also heard that the nav update parts are made ser# specific (I'm guessing MAC address) and you can't use yours disc on another radio. The software update you're talking about changing the background can be changed on any radio and those are also a free download on line.
No, you are correct about them being RADIO SPECIFIC, I just never run into anyone with a touch screen unit period.

One disc upgraded my system software (It's been a while but I labeled one Disc RER_2045 and the other GN_2057_US) and the other was Grace Notes which upgrades your music files to be able to read your Cds song names (Instead of "Track 1, etc.) if I remember correctly.

That's right now that you have me thinking. It WASN'T Map Upgrades. :bangin: Forgive me, it's a ***** getting old.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
No, you are correct about them being RADIO SPECIFIC, I just never run into anyone with a touch screen unit period.

One disc upgraded my system software (It's been a while but I labeled one Disc RER_2045 and the other GN_2057_US) and the other was Grace Notes which upgrades your music files to be able to read your Cds song names (Instead of "Track 1, etc.) if I remember correctly.

That's right now that you have me thinking. It WASN'T Map Upgrades. :bangin: Forgive me, it's a ***** getting old.
Don't take me wrong I wasn't critasizing just thinking outloud and seeing what others saw.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Its a waste of money. Use the $199 and buy an Andriod, iPhone, et.al ...they all have up-to-date voice turn-by-turn command navigaion. In fact, within 5 seconds I can use voice search via the internet, press a button and away I go ...it even has a photograph of the destination as I arrive.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I agree with S/S - great that they have updates, but sucks it's a $200 pop every year or so when you need to upgrade. I think if it was a $20 yearly fee, I'd be happy to pay it.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Don't take me wrong I wasn't critasizing just thinking outloud and seeing what others saw.
No, I didn't even think that. That being said, I have the Droid X and it is awesome! (I use navigation at work in my company truck everyday and it is quick and always up to date)

I RARELY use navigation in the Challenger. My wife has a BMW and it is the same with expensive updates. The streets haven't changed that much and as long as it gets me in the area, it's done it's job.

I LOVE this car and all these little "Issues" can be overlooked just by pushing the START button! (For me anyway!)

·
Registered
332 Posts
FYI: When I installed my Navteq map updates (not the software updates), it told me that the activation code was invalid. Navteq's tech support suggested that I take it into a dealer. I had to disconnect the negative battery cable then reconnect it to get the system to accept the activation code. The total map update time was about 55 minutes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts