Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first car was a '69 Cutlass, and I've been looking around for one for a few weeks now. It's been frustrating in that the prices of GM A-bodies have gone thru the roof, the quality has been poor, most of the Cutlasses have been converted to 442 wannabes, and for some inexplicable reason, most survivor cars are brown (I don't like brown). But I did find this one and got it bought today.

It's a '68, which is the same body style as a '69. I like the fact that it's not been molested, it has 41,000 actual miles, the color combination is unusual, and it's Canadian built. It's rare to find a Canadian car here in the US. The car looks very nice, and the undercarriage is very clean. It's powered by a 350 and a Jetaway transmission (2-speed). I'm considering building the engine to W31 specs and replacing the slushbox with a 700R4. I won't get it for probably a couple of weeks, but I'm excited about seeing it in person for the first time.

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
Nice find - Parchment Pearl interior? as well and its a hardtop.

I didn't realize the 2 speed trannies still went as far as '68. I thought the last of them were through '66 and that would have been it.

I wonder if the brown ones were the grocery getter, go to church cars. The little old lady version.

Kind of like the Slant 6 cars, didn't get driven hard since the general buyer demographic was budget conscious and didn't drive them hard (and there was little point to, not much power to play with).

Its like with Chevy Malibu -if you see '70 / '71s so many of them are that light metallic green, with of course, a matching green interior...and its depressing.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
My first car was a '69 Cutlass, and I've been looking around for one for a few weeks now. It's been frustrating in that the prices of GM A-bodies have gone thru the roof, the quality has been poor, most of the Cutlasses have been converted to 442 wannabes, and for some inexplicable reason, most survivor cars are brown (I don't like brown). But I did find this one and got it bought today.

It's a '68, which is the same body style as a '69. I like the fact that it's not been molested, it has 41,000 actual miles, the color combination is unusual, and it's Canadian built. It's rare to find a Canadian car here in the US. The car looks very nice, and the undercarriage is very clean. It's powered by a 350 and a Jetaway transmission (2-speed). I'm considering building the engine to W31 specs and replacing the slushbox with a 700R4. I won't get it for probably a couple of weeks, but I'm excited about seeing it in person for the first time.
That car has beautiful body lines. You hit a home run. What did it set you back?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,586 Posts
Nice find and very clean look. I have a co-worker that is a Cutlass fanatic...can't wait to show him your pic.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Georgeous car, the '70 is probably my favorite year. Are those Buick wheels or did Olds offer that style as well?

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
GM had Rallye wheels similar between Olds and Buick. There were SS-I, SS-II versions. The SS-III was more unique to Olds by that point.

Pontiac and Chevrolet had their versions.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was repainted a few years ago. Interior is original.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Congrats man, car looks great! The old Cutlasses are always nice!

Aren't the 2 speed autos called Powerglides? Or is that a Chevy only deal? My Nova had a Powerglide 2 speed auto when it was stock, mated to a 307 V8. I eventually replaced the Powerglide with a TH350 3 speed trans. A 700R4 would be nice since you'd have overdrive.

Looks like a very nice car! Good luck with it!

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
It was marketing names:

The Buick / Olds / Pontiac 2 speed automatics were Super Turbine / ST-300 and Chevy used Power Glide for its marketing.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Olds name for the slushbox was Jetaway.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Beautiful! I have a soft spot for Olds. Some of the best looking cars of the era...my favorite is probably the ‘66-67, but I love the ‘68-72 also. My first car was a ‘69, and I hear you on the difficulty finding good colors - mine was avocado green with matching interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
That’s nice! Love the color!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts