Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've said many times, just look at what the factory is building on the top cars and use the same design. Lets take the Boss 302 exhaust cutsouts:

Can this be done on my Challenger with a stock R/T auto exhaust?? well not easily till I remember seeing this a while back (see below).

What I like about the Boss setup is that 2 separate length paths will have a tendency to make the engine sound like it has double the cylinders. This could be really important in creating an optimal V6 exhaust.... make it sound like a V12.

Second because exhaust is fanged before the resonators / mufflers, the long low pressure waves will be present and give that big block gut rumble at WOT. I don't know about highway resonance but would assume it won't be as bad as tossing on glasspacks to twin 2.5 duall exhaust. So best of both worlds here, low deep penetrating rumble and maybe just maybe no or little mid RPM part throttle resonance.

Of course the boss cutouts are at the H and the Challenger ones would be after the X, this may or maynot need to be fixed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcttazBynns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UeSmIafmVo

break up into small groups and share.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so anyway I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArG56g_XfOY

part throttle at 65 MPH there only one db sound difference. Just as I speculated, probably no drone... ie near stock quite. This type of bypass was very popular in the 95-2001 Camaro where a short pipe could bypass the transverse muffler. But on the Camaro you can't get separate sound effects like sounding like it has more cylinders as most of the system was single 2 and 3/4 pipe. But you CAN on the Boss and Challenger...

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
That's a neat idea! The side exits are cool just to get the sound out and nearer to the ears (and most importantly...pre-resonator), except it still irks me how you can draw attention to having side exits, but still have the regular rear exhausts. It makes me think, so which is it?...pick one and run with it...having both at the same time makes you seem like you don't really "know" which way you want. ;)

If I ever did that, I think I would actually like the side exits further in under the car, so you get the sound effect, but they don't stand-out visually (hopefully, you don't see them at all unless you get real close and stare under the rocker panels). That's a matter of taste, though. I get it, if others would want their side exits visually prominent.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I don't know about your "dissimilar length pipes making it sound like double the cylinders" theory, though. I'm letting that simmer in my brain a bit, if I can come up with a more detailed response.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
because the pipes are different lengths, the sound pulses would be offset, I guess I could calculate it given every parameter. The wave has to travel faster in a denser, hotter environment, vs StandardTemp$Pres. The rear wave would have to go through the whole exhaust, exit and the wave would propagate forward to the driver's ear vs exit right outside the driver's door.

I understand about having 4 exhaust tips, but the center ones are like the Boss, they really don't show. Can you see the side and rear at the same time?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ive often wondered, mostly because of the side exit Boss exhaust I saw years ago at an auto show, what it would be like to dump my exhaust RIGHT after my solo-perform muffler...either to the sides or directly down on the ground...definitely curious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts