Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so my honest opinions with no malice implied or intended,

third place: 2010 challenger R/T auto trans, cost 38K brand new, possible 5.5K discount
i did not like this car. my daily driver is a highly tuned 09 miata, so the truck steering wheel and the cushy suspension didn't do it for me. the interior was weak for $38K, compared to the VW GTI for 26K, i see no excuse. the ride was smooth and too soft, couldn't tell where the front right corned ended because it seemed to be a full BB court away. visibility was awful out the back.
pros: seats are fantastic, the engine makes my 4 banger feel like a girl, it's amazing. on the downside, the car was way too quiet, but i'm a borla fan, having installed three cat backs on a dodge truck and two grand cherokees, so no problem with that. bottom line, i'm pretty sure i'd never be able to push this car hard on the street, just has zero feedback.

second place: 2012 V6 mustang auto trans $30K. i enjoyed driving this car a lot. the first thing you notice while cruising around is how it's built like a vault, quiet [borla] doors solid, suspension [salesman said it was a minor upgrade, not sure how much it cost or what parts if any were different] performed flat but comfortable, interior was 100 % better than the challenger but nothing special. the car rolled on 18's fyi. this car took off from a standstill better than the V6 challenger, but both seemed the same after i got up to speed. the mustang is considerably smaller, for me it inspired more confidence on the street. i loved looking down the hood bulge and felt i could drive this car very aggressively on the street, unlike the R/T. i'm shopping for a daily driver for my wife, the V6 was plenty strong for her and cool for me.
bottom line, i would never buy this car because it's borderline ugly from the side view. the wheel gap is close to 4 inches, RIDICULOUS! and the small back seat window is way off, i don't design cars so i don't know why it's way off, it just looks like hell to me. also, i have two 80lbs bouvier dogs, stang back seat looks a little tight.

first place, '11 Pentastar automatic rallye challenger. $28.5K
to begin, i love chrysler stuff, i've owned 3 dodge trucks including a duelly 24 valve, 5 jeeps including a wrangler and our first new car as a married couple, a 99 durango that we both loved. i really wanted to love the challenger and i was plenty dazed and confused after not digging the R/T. as it turned out, after about 300 yards of test drive, i turned to my salesman and told him i loved the car. dodge tightened up the steering and suspension and i felt it IMMEDIATLEY. today it's 65 degrees in NJ, and here i was just as i imagined it, elbow out the window, perfect leather seat slightly reclined, classic rock on the stereo, cruising up route 202. icing on the cake, the V6 is plenty for my cruising needs, so all of a sudden, the money saved doesn't seem like a sacrifice, it seems like winning the lottery. because the car can probably be had for mid 20Ks, i can lower my expectations of the interior, the improvements are appreciated and feel like a real value at 25K, i would feel gipped if this same interior is in the 392 at the much higher price point.

in summary, the car felt tight and comfortable, has a nice stero/nav screen, nice dash, great seats, doors open and close much better, gauges were cool enough. for 25K, i have no issues buying this car. i think it's a flat out sweet value. as for the V6, it was smooth and plenty fast. as an added benefit, the rallye is 250+ lbs lighter than the R/T. that has a huge impact on handling.

because i always have to mess with my cars, i'd install a borla cat back and eibach lowering springs the second i got it home. i'd also install the 20" "crager" RT wheels, boom done, time to enjoy. i'm going to wait for the fall end of year price drop and hope to find a blackberry? rallye with white stripes.
and i forgot to state the obvious, the car looks like tits to me.

i look forward to reading your opinions, and yes i won't upbadge, promise.

/rl

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
A peculiar ranking, I think, but you likes what you like, I guess! ;) I'd expect your preferences will swing to whatever seems closest (most familiar) to your Miata (there's no escaping that a 4000 lb car compared to a 2500 lb car are going to feel different). It should be no surprise that a big Challenger feels remarkably different. From my perspective, the RT may not be riding on a rock hard suspension, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "cushy". It's as hard as it needs to be to give sporty response (as much as can be expected in a massive 4000 lb package) while maintaining some degree of isolation from road harshness. After putting over 10k mi on mine (daily driver plus some big road trips), I wouldn't make it any softer or harder. I think they struck a good middleground for a wide range of use scenarios. Ymmv, of course.

No doubt there is a bit more steering response left on the table until you replace the oem all-season tires. Those Michelin "green" tires are certainly not doing it any favors. ;) That's simply the first diy job you can expect to do on your car when you get an RT, I guess.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Diff strokes for different folks. I guess if you can stand driving a Miata every day its safe to say our opinions on cars vary greatly. Ranking the v6 over the v8 RT seems weird to say the least, unless you ONLY considered the pricetag. The Challenger is REALLY going to feel big and bulky compared to the Miata. I'd think you can do better than 37 grand for an RT as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aaahhh, you had to dump on the miata, the most raced car in the world. granted, they are quite different. one's a go kart and the other is sorta like a caddy.

for you guys who don't have a 2011 challenger, go drive it and you'll agree, dodge really tightened it up. i didn't drive a '11 R/T because we budgeted 30K.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
LOL, I agree 100% with your assessment of the looks of the car (I take it as a good comparison:naughty:)

It sounds like the 2011 handling/steering upgrade coupled with the lower price did the trick for ya:browsmiley:. We all have our preferences, no one is right or wrong; they are choices personal to each of us. Since it fits your tastes better, and you save some $$ on top of it, it sounds like a win/win to me....now go and enjoy the heck out of that car:bigthumb:

·
Registered
352 Posts
aaahhh, you had to dump on the miata, the most raced car in the world. granted, they are quite different. one's a go kart and the other is sorta like a caddy.

for you guys who don't have a 2011 challenger, go drive it and you'll agree, dodge really tightened it up. i didn't drive a '11 R/T because we budgeted 30K.
You should be able to find a 'base' model '11 RT for about 30K..??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-DODGE-CHALLENGER-R-T-HEMI-NEW-/390298341436?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item5adf98103c

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
[Mustang V6] this car took off from a standstill better than the V6 challenger, but both seemed the same after i got up to speed.
/rl
The SS/T Package on a 2011 V6 Challenger gives the car a different rear axle and lower final drive ratio. This would have made the cars feel a little closer at launch, I am sure.

Super Sport Group (SS/T Group) (AGL)
• Firestone Brand Tires (TZF)
• Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Perf Brakes (BR5)
• 3.06 Rear Axle Ratio (DMP)
• 215MM Rear Axle (DPP)
• Performance Steering (SBP)
• Performance Suspension (SDD)
• 245/45R20 BSW AS Performance Tires (TVJ)
• 20X8.0 Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels (WP2)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm looking as well. I've heard the '11s all got significant suspension upgrades. Probably a good choice to avoid the new RT if you don't want to be tempted past your budget, although I have seen them for around 30k. I've already driven the 6.1 and will drive the 392 this weekend so I may be done for...although I've heard good things about the '11 RT. Now if I can just reset my memory so I can't remember the awesome feeling of the bigger engines...

My 7 year old was pretty unimpressed with the SRT until I dropped the pedal. My wife who was watching him said his eyes lit up like a pinball machine, then he said "I think daddy should get this car". Gotta love that kid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
don't forget eibachs and borlas, honestly can't reach for a R/T. i dig the V6's better gas mileage, it's important to us. hey look at it this way, she's not making me research a camry!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
352 Posts
don't forget eibachs and borlas, honestly can't reach for a R/T. i dig the V6's better gas mileage, it's important to us. hey look at it this way, she's not making me research a camry!:thumbsup:
Not to sound weird... but if I was looking for a V6 the Challenger wouldn't come up on my radar... Have you considered the 3.8 Grand Touring Genesis Coupe from Hyundai? Best warranty in the biz, too.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
I can certainly respect that. If I can help you in your search or purchase please let me know.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I had a Miata for awhile. Good handling car, but a lot of road noise, even with the top up.

I wish you had driven the R/T 6M. Totally different exhaust system and sound. That said, I know they tightened a lot of things up on the '11 vs the '10, but the only way I would opt for an '11 SE over a '10 R/T Classic (and I got mine for about $30K) was if Halle Berry came with it, and my wife was OK with that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The '10 might have seemed soft because it might not have had the STP. I made a similar comparison before buying and there is a huge difference in the '11 suspension.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Wait so you chose the 11se over the 10rt???And your gonna put like 5k in upgrades into the se???I would test drive a 11rt and see what you think you might get a good deal!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Huh? I've never seen anyone race a Miata. The newer models have had great reviews but the resale value is horrible. You can pick one up used dirt cheap.

As for your review of the '10 R/T. This was my pick after driving a "11 Camaro. The R/T is not the best handling car, but the best looking and most comfortable. Handles like a Muscle Car should. Floaty. Doesn't even look or act like a car you would take to a track. It's made for cruisin' and Drag Racing. As for the Stang. Never even considered it. I kinda like Mustangs but they are small, basic looking and 50% are driven by high school or college age girls. Ridiculous!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Huh? I've never seen anyone race a Miata. The newer models have had great reviews but the resale value is horrible. You can pick one up used dirt cheap.

As for your review of the '10 R/T. This was my pick after driving a "11 Camaro. The R/T is not the best handling car, but the best looking and most comfortable. Handles like a Muscle Car should. Floaty. Doesn't even look or act like a car you would take to a track. It's made for cruisin' and Drag Racing. As for the Stang. Never even considered it. I kinda like Mustangs but they are small, basic looking and 50% are driven by high school or college age girls. Ridiculous!
Miatas actually have their own class in SCCA (road racing) called "Spec Miata". They handle like slot cars. One of the easiest cars to drive the unholy snot out of, that I've ever seen. :D

Having said all that... I'm surprised that a 6 speed R/T was not part of the mix. I paid $28K for mine, and another couple hundred for the SRT springs and dampers, a pair of Magnaflows to replace the resonators, and a set of retro Magnum 500s (aka "Rallye" wheels.)
It's perfect. Handles well without beating you to death.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts