Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting a new filter in the factory air box. Has anyone done this and what was the results? I was going to do this and then later put a complete CAI system on it. Thanks Ronnie

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
It works OK I had one in mine for 3 or 4 months. Don't oil it to much. I was told that can damage it throttle body. I like my MOPAR CAI better sound and looks and if I had it to do again I wouldn't have waisted the $50 on the filter and I would have went straight for the CAI. I know you all don't like them but I personally do.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the CAI systems but I was just going to wait a while before I got one. I wanted to get the ram air set-up later, i think it looks good. I'll just be able to do so much at a time so I'm going to have to do it in stages. Ronnie

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
The only thing is that that $50 or $55 is waisted when you get the CAI. You don't gain that much with the filter or the CAI so if your going CAI anyway put that money towards that.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I played this game on my C5 vette, only to find that the the flat panel K&N with modifications to airbox lid was as efficient in delivering cool air as any of the high dollar CAI's made for the C5. Looking at the design of the air intake on the stock R/T it appears that drawing cooler outside from the fender well would be either equal to , or better than some of the CAI's made for the R/t. Wont name names but one in particular sealed off the area where the cone filter resides with a black plastic piece that being black it would heat faster then any other material the designers might have chose and that hot panel would radiate heat into the area where cone filter resides.Irregardless any gains with any of the sytems without other modification are going to be minimal.My C5 picked 27 hp with a 180 stat,my homemade filter lid, a ZO6 catback titanium exhaust and a hypertech tune for 93 octane,Kumho tires improved my 60 ft.s from 2.35 to 2.08 and after spending nearly $2500 including the tires and chrome ZO6 wheels, I reached my goal of getting into the 12's as I ran a disappointing 13.95 @102 bone stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts