Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the K&N CAI for my 3.6 GT. Should be here next Tuesday. Any other 6ers out there use the K&N?

j

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put one on a few months ago. Love the look. Love the sound when you hit around 2k rpm. Especially satisfying when passing someone on the highway.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,121 Posts
If your state has adopted California's Emission Standards (like Oregon), make sure your CAI has an EO#, otherwise you'll have to remove it and replace original to get it smogged.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Hopefully OREGON hasn't adopted California DMV FEES yet!!

Problem with Oregon is there's a lot of Ex Californians living there now!

Gonna cost me over $300 to register my SXT Plus next year!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in Oregon and the emission laws aren't like California's. They may be going that way in the future though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,121 Posts
Thirteen states—mostly in the Northeast and Northwest—and the District of Columbia have adopted California's stricter emissions standards, many of which also participate in the zero-emission vehicle mandate.

Known as "Section 177" states, those 13 are: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.
Which states follow California's emission and zero-emission vehicle rules?

To determine if an intake kit is CARB exempt for the applications listed, use our Application Search Page to find available intakes for your vehicle then select the part number. A product detail screen will open indicating the CARB exemption status for the intake.

States that have adopted California emission standards include: Arizona, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.
https://www.knfilters.com/streetlegal.htm

Eligible vehicles in the Portland and Medford areas must undergo emissions tests prior to registration and again every 2 years. Vehicles that fail could be eligible for trip permits or financial assistance. New residents must also bring their vehicles for vehicle identification number (VIN) inspections.
Apparently only large areas at this point? But 2018 cars it looks like it applies as far as new. Unsure about testing biannually.

A Guy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm outside both the emissions testing area, as well as the criminal enterprise known as Sound Transit. Thank God for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
K&N was the first thing I added to the "brand new" '08 I just bought (1st owner only put on 99 miles in 9 years). Per the K&N dyno sheet, HP went up 9.3% on the '08 SRT8 they tested. Also, the black plastic tube model had higher gains than the chrome, I assume due to more efficient air handling. Of course I didn't like the plain black plastic, so I had to detail it a little...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
The polished metal tubing looks nice but I'm told it gets too hot and heats up the air so you kinda' lose the "cold" air intake aspect of it.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
K&N was the first thing I added to the "brand new" '08 I just bought (1st owner only put on 99 miles in 9 years). Per the K&N dyno sheet, HP went up 9.3% on the '08 SRT8 they tested. Also, the black plastic tube model had higher gains than the chrome, I assume due to more efficient air handling. Of course I didn't like the plain black plastic, so I had to detail it a little...
I wouldn't believe any tests of hp that K&N does, independent yeah, but not from the manufacturer.
Last CAI I installed actually made my Challenger about a half second SLOWER 0-60.

Now If I put one on it's for the sound and the engine bling, I don't expect any hp gains.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe I'm just buying into the marketing hype, but unless they completely made up this graph (which I doubt), it looks believable to me (and no, I don't work for K&N : ). However, having worked as an engineer in the auto industry for most of my 28-year career (including many all-nighters due to dyno time only being available at 3:00AM), I find their numbers believable (the main change after the CAI install was the ambient temp went UP 3.2 degrees, which should adversely affect their results). And after my install with the auto trans in manual first and tromping the pedal at 10 mph, the patch I lay down is 15.2% longer : )...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Just a heads up, so you can keep an eye out, but K&N and other "wet" type filters (ie: oil saturated filter media) have been known to cause "misting" of the intake track, including over a long term, messing with/clogging up system sensors, as oil vapor is pulled at all times into the air charge and this dirty vapor contamination accumulates over time.
Also, if your filter is not fully sealed off from any/all engine heat and fed only cold air from outside of the car and within a high pressure area, not static/semi-static ambient air from in and around the engine bay, then any performace gain (normally about 3-5hp) from a "cold air" intake is fully negated. Yes, metal CAI tubes saturate & retain engine temps far greater & faster than plastics.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Maybe I'm just buying into the marketing hype, but unless they completely made up this graph (which I doubt), it looks believable to me I find their numbers believable .
I'd say "maybe" but if I gained almost 10% hp I wouldn't have lost time 0-60 and I did multiple runs on the same road as before at about the same temps with just about the same amount of fuel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A full second is huge (20%) - I would have been disappointed too. I'll check mine again when I can get back to the same stretch of road (to compare apples to apples) where I got 4.56. If I get 5.56, I might be switching back to stock : )...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts