Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'09 R/T 6-speed.

I have the same air box as the SRT8 yes?

I'm thinking of buying the K&N 63-1114 CAI $293 from K&N website.

Will I see any performance improvement without a tuner and CAI tune?

I have been putting off buying a tuner because:
Warranty (my warranty has expired now so non-issue)
Lack of 6-speed tune improvement

As lately as mid '10 I had people telling me the stock tunes from Predator etc were extremely disappointing for 6-speed R/Ts.

Does anyone have feedback about the CAI with/without the tune?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
It's been said around here alot that a drop in K&N will do as much as a CAI without a tune. There were some people that had dynos that said they saw a change on the sheet but I thought to myself if you can afford a dyno why can't you buy a tunner but never ask. I also think that when you have 375 HP that you aren't going to feel 10 HP gain. Just my thougts

·
Registered
864 Posts
The air boxes are a little differend between rt and srt, intakes dont give a drastic iprovement as it is but without a tune itll be even less, you prolly wont even feel it. Youll prolly be running lean too.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
i have the k&n cai , HAD a predator on as well with no MEASURABLE difference. got rid of the predator and have not lost a thing !
don't be surprised if everyone with a predator jumps in here talking about "seat of the pants dyno's "
just my experience !
(now if you are going ahead with further mods , tunability is a must !)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
'09 R/T 6-speed.

I have the same air box as the SRT8 yes?

I'm thinking of buying the K&N 63-1114 CAI $293 from K&N website.

Will I see any performance improvement without a tuner and CAI tune?

I have been putting off buying a tuner because:
Warranty (my warranty has expired now so non-issue)
Lack of 6-speed tune improvement

As lately as mid '10 I had people telling me the stock tunes from Predator etc were extremely disappointing for 6-speed R/Ts.

Does anyone have feedback about the CAI with/without the tune?
Have an 09 R/T Auto and installed the 63-1114.Noticed a change in sound,(more aggressive), and a noticeable difference in performance.Better throttle response of the hop.Installed the Predator CAI 91 Octane tune and the gains in performance were even better.I then did some data logging using the Predator and a laptop for a Custom Tune that was written for me by DCX Depot.After installing the Custom Tune the car runs even better.

After data logging with the K&N and Predator CAI 91 Octane canned tune installed the A/F ratio was between 13.37 and 14.77(WOT).

Since that time I installed JBA shorty headers and a CORSA Xtreme cat-back.After data logging with the additional mods the A/F ratio is still in the safe zone with the present custom Tune.Will be getting a CMR Dyno Custom Tune in the spring just to pull it all together for max gains.Did a Dyno pull when the car was 100% stock so we'll see what the true gains are on the Dyno after the CMR Tune.

It took me 1.5 hours to install the K&N CAI(first timer on this mod).Make sure to check the clamps after the first week of driving and then again a week later as they will loosen due to expansion/contraction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts